Realistic receivers

Generally well regarded because back in the day Realistic actually sold well made gear.
I have an STA2080 that works but needs some TLC from me.
Here is an ad from the era.Shows 75 watts per channel.

Attachments

• Realistic 2000.jpg
    Realistic 2000.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 474
Gotta love the "custom walnut veneer side panels" - isn't marketing great or what???

Kind of like "genuine, imitation wood..."

As I remember from my beer soaked 70's college days, Realistic was well made gear, a bit overpriced. Dollar for dollar, I think you get much more of any kind of audio gear than you did back then.

With the exception of a few esoteric pieces, and possibly many turntables, you can often buy these vintage pieces for pennies on the dollar.

realistic receiver

Gotta love the "custom walnut veneer side panels" - isn't marketing great or what???

As I remember from my beer soaked 70's college days, Realistic was well made gear, a bit overpriced.

Yeah I got ya, but can you imagine the price with genuine wood?! it's better than black paint.

I appreciate that. Wow pricey back in the day. Who made Realistic stuff?

It depended on the model as to who made it. I have an older model that was obviously a rebadged Technics and a newer model that is surely a Pioneer. I had a very early model that I was told was manufactured by Hitachi. I have a turntable that has an Elac name plate on it. Foster/Fostex made some of their speaker drivers. There is some great Radio Shack stuff out there if you get the right models. There was a goodly share of junk too.

As I remember from my beer soaked 70's college days, Realistic was well made gear, a bit overpriced. Dollar for dollar, I think you get much more of any kind of audio gear than you did back then.

With the exception of a few esoteric pieces, and possibly many turntables, you can often buy these vintage pieces for pennies on the dollar.

Radio Shack was really good at using walnut veneer on their stuff. Even the lower end speaker were walnut veneer when other were using vinyl laminate. Sure looks better than an imitation woodgrain metal case. You are right on the prices. Their stuff was high unless on sale. A lot of "audiophiles" (me included back in the day) stuck their noses up at Realistic stuff. That has kept the prices low. You can get some great gear if you do not mind the name plate.

I have an SA-1001 that I like quite a bit. In fact, toying with dedicating my Marantz to turntable use only and the Realistic to Tape/CD/digital playback.

My pops had the Realistic STA-90 he bought new. That receiver has always been the baseline for me and frankly to this day I've not heard anything that matches it's warm full sound. Not saying it is a great sound. Just saying that I was raised hearing music (classic rock exclusively) played on that receiver and the junk from the 80s and 90s that I could afford never matched it. My musical tastes track better to less flabby receivers like my SA-1001. But I tell you what, Doors, Beatles and Zeppelin never sound as good to me anywhere else than as they did on my old man's Realistic system. :thmbsp:

I have an STA-2290. A little later in the line, but sounds pretty decent with some considerable weight. Not a lot of love out there for it though. I like it.

I have an SA-1001 that I like quite a bit. In fact, toying with dedicating my Marantz to turntable use only and the Realistic to Tape/CD/digital playback.

My pops had the Realistic STA-90 he bought new. That receiver has always been the baseline for me and frankly to this day I've not heard anything that matches it's warm full sound. Not saying it is a great sound. Just saying that I was raised hearing music (classic rock exclusively) played on that receiver and the junk from the 80s and 90s that I could afford never matched it. My musical tastes track better to less flabby receivers like my SA-1001. But I tell you what, Doors, Beatles and Zeppelin never sound as good to me anywhere else than as they did on my old man's Realistic system. :thmbsp:

I'm a classic rock fan myself and although I have a little bit of everything I play classic rock almost exclusively. I played wishbone ash yesterday and had forgotten how good they were. Yeah my dad had a realistic receiver as well I didn't pay much attention to it at the time. I'm going to have to let this one go as it's an hour drive, but I'll be looking for others.:music:

I'm a classic rock fan myself and although I have a little bit of everything I play classic rock almost exclusively. I played wishbone ash yesterday and had forgotten how good they were. Yeah my dad had a realistic receiver as well I didn't pay much attention to it at the time. I'm going to have to let this one go as it's an hour drive, but I'll be looking for others.:music:

Yeah, me too. I'm focused on getting another STA-90 for sentimental reasons, but if you comb through AK you'll find solid opinions of other RS gear. What is good and what is not so good. And there is also a Yahoo group dedicated to Realistic receivers. From experience, I'd stick to the 70s and the few choice receivers from the very early 80s mentioned here. From there RS stuff goes off a cliff. I bought a $1000 rack system from RS in 87 that was total and complete garbage. And now that I think of it, I have never seen an RS receiver from the late 80s posted for sale anywhere. If my experience is the norm then everything they made from that era died violently by 95. :no:

I have an STA-2290. A little later in the line, but sounds pretty decent with some considerable weight. Not a lot of love out there for it though. I like it.

What is not to love? Two phono inputs. Slick digital face. 3 band tone control like my 1001. I'd hit on her in a heartbeat. :yes:

I have had 5 or 6 different realistic receivers. All have been very reliable. Though i have never had a sta-2000.

I've had my STA-2000D since 1978. Other than the right channel dropping out once in a while, I haven't had any complaints about it, and it's been in constant use since I bought it!

I just graduated from my 1980s Onkyo receiver to 1980s Onkyo separates I was able to pick up at a garagesale, but Yeah 70's is where it's at man. Can you dig it? Hoping to get some 70's separates at some point

i like my 2000 more and more every day. all elna caps on the inside. dual mono design. phono section is great. tuner is a beast that picks up stations my coworkers have never heard of. and best of all....vintage silver faced monster. this was totl for 1978 radio shack.

Back
Top Bottom