Audiosource Amp-100 Questions

hoodsy

Hey all, just wanted to know if someone could clarify a few things for me with regards to the above mentioned amp.

It is possible to use speakers A and B together as long as they are at least 8 ohms, correct?

Also, what are the uses of the output 2 (RCA)?

I understand the two inputs, but from what I have read online don't have a clear idea of the output 2's capabilities. I'm new to audio equipment in general and was just wondering if anyone had the answers to my questions.

Here is a link to the manual for this amp, if it will help clarify things:http://www.mcmelectronics.com/content/ProductData/Manuals/50-6062.pdf

If you use the bridged setup you are able to send more power, to one set of speakers. Be SURE to wire them as the manual explains.

The RCA output can be used for a number of things, running a cable to a recording device to record whatever you are playing could be one.

The purpose of the output jacks is to connect to other amps throughout your house.

For instance:

Amp 1 is in living room. Output of Amp 1 goes to input of Amp 2 (why it has auto-sensing inputs) in the bedroom which automatically switches to what is playing on Amp 1 and plays the same music through the speakers connected to Amp 2. The output of Amp 2 is connected to the input of Amp 3 in the Den, etc.

Multiple Amps with speakers in different parts of the house (or zones) each with their own speakers.

Ah I see, thanks for all the clarification, definitely very helpful.

So for the mono setup, is that strictly ONE speaker? Or one PAIR of speakers?

Also, any thoughts on whether a pre-amp would be worth it to go along with this amp?

I'm currently using JBL P20 speakers..

Thanks for the help/opinions!

So for the mono setup, is that strictly ONE speaker? Or one PAIR of speakers?

It is for a single speaker. A second speaker in bridged mode would require a second amp.

Also, any thoughts on whether a pre-amp would be worth it to go along with this amp?

The pre-amp is built in and the amp does not have an option to bypass it.

Alright, thanks for all the info. Really glad that I asked haha.

There is a set of binding posts (speaker A) with 4 connections, and a second set (speaker B) with 4, so I assume they are for the right and left speaker, each single speaker taking 2. With one set of speakers that is still stereo, and not mono, correct?

One more thing; the manual says "Red posts indicate positive and black posts indicate negative". Then in a diagram to the side, they have two wires into each red post, one displaying positive and one negative. In addition, underneath the posts, the image is a spectrum from positive one side to negative on the other, with red on either end.

So what do you go by? what is explicitly said, or what they present visually? 

If you push speaker button A, button B will pop out...and vice-versa. I just tried it on mine to confirm. I believe the manual is in error - the amp doesn't run speaker set A and B at the same time. One set on A is stereo and one set on B is stereo.

I believe what the manual presents graphically is consistent with what is explicitly said. It's just that the colors don't apply the same way in the bridged setup as in stereo.

I love playing with amps like these. I have a couple of the Amp One/A's and there's lots you can do with a pair of matching amps.

If you got a 2nd amp you could run it off the outputs of the first amp to run a 2nd set of speakers for a total of 4 speakers. (playing all at the same time in one room or two rooms)

If you got a 2nd amp and run both in bridged mode, you get lots more power and run one speaker off each amp. (playing really loud). The speaker connectors on the back should show how to hook up a speaker in mono bridged mode but it's not the regular red (+) & black (-) on the amps I have seen. I think on mine I use both red connectors (one is + and one is -)

You can also use one amp in bridged mode to power a subwoofer.

One more thing; the manual says "Red posts indicate positive and black posts indicate negative". Then in a diagram to the side, they have two wires into each red post, one displaying positive and one negative. In addition, underneath the posts, the image is a spectrum from positive one side to negative on the other, with red on either end.

So what do you go by? what is explicitly said, or what they present visually? 

I would go by the connectors on the amp.

The Amp100 is just a poweramp. I have one and love it.

Feeding a line level source to it like a CD player or an iPod is barely enough power to fill a room. Regardless of speaker sensitivity.

I would honestly say that the extra gain provided by a preamp is almost entirely required for this amp. I don't listen at ear bleeding volume but with a preamp I can drive my speakers up to that if I wanted to. Without a preamp I'd have the Amp100's volume maxed out and barely be breaking a sweat.

A preamp will definitely provide more gain than most sources outputs. Yeah, the AudioSource amps have volume controls, but you still need enough gain to be able to get the most out of the amp.

Perhaps a bit /OT, but:

The Amp100 is just a poweramp. I have one and love it.

Feeding a line level source to it like a CD player or an iPod is barely enough power to fill a room. Regardless of speaker sensitivity.

I would honestly say that the extra gain provided by a preamp is almost entirely required for this amp. I don't listen at ear bleeding volume but with a preamp I can drive my speakers up to that if I wanted to. Without a preamp I'd have the Amp100's volume maxed out and barely be breaking a sweat.

Hmm, this makes me wonder, if you have a small room to fill perhaps a T-amp would be a nice option. Mine sure does!
Here's a nice thread on T-amps for those interested: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=366018&highlight=lawl

Perhaps a bit /OT, but:

Hmm, this makes me wonder, if you have a small room to fill perhaps a T-amp would be a nice option. Mine sure does!
Here's a nice thread on T-amps for those interested: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=366018&highlight=lawl

Wow. A lot has changed since I started that thread. I had a Dayton DTA-100A and found that for having a claimed 25wpc @8ohms it also still required a little extra gain from a preamp to really, uh, rock (I hate putting things in those terms but yeah).

The Dayton's build quality should still be suspect though. Less than one year of ownership and it developed a nasty buzz. Shame. It wasn't a bad little amp otherwise.

The Dayton's build quality should still be suspect though. Less than one year of ownership and it developed a nasty buzz. Shame. It wasn't a bad little amp otherwise.
I'd recommend something with just a little bit more build quality, but ~50$ will get anyone who needs a few good watts a very good sounding little T-amp. ;) In my case, no pre amp needed, even when I just use a media player + SMSL T-amp + 'me Tannoys.

/Scuse me for jacking the thread a bit...

Back
Top Bottom