Marantz speaker owners???

Picked up a pair of 7G's this past weekend. Got them from the original owner for $20. Cabinets need a light refinishing and the mids need refoaming (duh...) as well as grill recovering (with 'something'). I did a quick listen and was impressed - in spite of the mids needing work.

I'm hoping this weekend to have the work done and I'll set them up next to my JBL 4408's for a little A/B testing. I'm hoping for great results!

For what it's worth - I giggled after handing over the $20, stuffing them into the car and driving away... :yes:

heres mammas m16 speakers she drives them with her 4270

her you go tuna . i know you appreciate the mirror immage .

Attachments

• m16.jpg
    m16.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 45
  • m16fr.jpg
    m16fr.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 60
more m16 pics

heres back view . nice cabinets all around . she has these in her bedroom and dont really use them much but is proud of the quality of them as they are truely marantz's high end and beautiful . with the stained glass on top also .

Attachments

• m16back.jpg
    m16back.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 51
  • m16 glass top.jpg
    m16 glass top.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I own 2 sets of the HD-880's paired with different Marantz units (2270 Champagne, 2275, 2285B, 2325 and 2385). I also own a current model Bose 901.

One set of the HD-880's I have had since my college days and recently gave them to my son who is about to start college.

I really love the sound of the HD-880's especially paired with my omnisonic imager which elevates the background instruments a bit. FYI the original woofers sound great so don't buy into the aftermarket woofers sounding as good or better. The originals are the way to go.

The only other speaker i have wanted from Marantz are the 940's but have not run into a set that is local to me (NJ). Would love to get a nice set but no luck yet!

Attachments

• marantz 1 005.jpg
    marantz 1 005.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
In this series probably the best audio region is the midrange followed by the high quality bass, the highs are Ok but they could be better.

In this series probably the best audio region is the midrange followed by the high quality bass, the highs are Ok but they could be better.

Try saying the Highs are Ok after you tune them with a parametric EQ thru a mic and pink noise generator. I do that with mine and the highs are exhilerating, clear and so pronounced, you cannot tell the difference between them and live sound, period. That is if your ears aren't messed up.

Last edited:
Bass on the hd -880's are incredible! Much better than the bose 901. The original woofers sound so much better than the after market replacements that owners were talked into at the repair shops. If you see a pair used, make sure it is original. I saw the difference first hand.

Update: I now want a pair of the model 600 series, the last design by Ed May. If any has a set looking to sell let me know. Giving one of my HD-880 sets to my brother if i can get the model 600. Last year i bought him a restored 2275 and he loves music so what a great gift to a great brother!

Last edited:
speakers to brother

Gave one of my two sets of HD-880222 005.jpg

Marantz Model 600.jpeg's to my brother last night. Now waiting for my model 600's to arrive.

I already posted this in another post, but probably should post it here officially on the Marantz speaker thread...

These are my new to me Imperial 9's. They need a little work. One, maybe two replacement woofers, refoam, new grills and a recap to start with. The stands came with them but are not in the pictures.

IMGP1223edt.jpg

IMGP1218edt.jpg

IMGP1215edt.jpg

Looks like you have three original woofers, and all of the original mids and tweets.

Just got a pair of SP1250,were free so the price is right. They were ok for about 10minutes and at @2 on the 8080 they tossed one of the foams on the woffer.lol. got another project. I hope there are kits for these 12's. They are in great shape otherwise. sounded ok for what they are. A recap and foam and the garage will be happy.

I already posted this in another post, but probably should post it here officially on the Marantz speaker thread...

These are my new to me Imperial 9's. They need a little work. One, maybe two replacement woofers, refoam, new grills and a recap to start with. The stands came with them but are not in the pictures.

IMGP1223edt.jpg

IMGP1218edt.jpg

IMGP1215edt.jpg

I've decided i want a pair of 9's. seen them before on ak when i was restoring my 6's but after a few beers and seeing them again... i am envious.

My Marantz Imperial 5 Speakers

I have been using these Marantz Imperial 5 speakers for a number of years. They were in the trash at my apt. building with no grills but they sound great! I'm wondering if I should have speakers rebuilt. I also need to replace the tweeter on one because my daughter pushed the middle of the cone in. - Amuzed

Attachments

• IMPERIAL5.MARANTZ.jpg
    IMPERIAL5.MARANTZ.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 28
I have been using these Marantz Imperial 5 speakers for a number of years. They were in the trash at my apt. building with no grills but they sound great! I'm wondering if I should have speakers rebuilt. I also need to replace the tweeter on one because my daughter pushed the middle of the cone in. - Amuzed

Does that woofer have a hole on the right side? Hard to tell.

I recapped my Marantz Imperial 6's, things got a little better, but they're damned good stock. As for that tweeter, I have two replacements I bought from Parts Express, one got pushed in and I was able to pull it out, the other is new in box. PM me if you want them, I do not need them and would let them go cheap.

Back
Top Bottom