Van Halen better with Roth or Hagar?

Roth or Hagar

• Roth

Votes: 512 80.6%
  • Hagar

Votes: 123 19.4%

• Total voters
Ummmm, really, this is not even a debate, ROTH. Live Roth may hve lost his voice, but still can put on a better show then Hagar ever dreamed of. The new album shows the band as it truly is and always will be, with ROTH. Foolish question.

I only saw Van Halen once, on their first tour (that I'm aware of) at a high school football stadium in Bay City, MI. DLR absolutely tore it up. Van Halen totally stole the show away from the headliner (and to steal it from Bob Seger in front of us mid-Michigan hayseeds ain't no easy trick!).

No way Hagar could ever match what I saw...

Everything after the 1984 release with Hagar coming on board was mediocre at best, in my opinion, although it sold well. I first saw VH in 1978 on their debut LP opening up for Blue Oyster Cult and they blew everyone away. I've seen both iterations live during the heyday and both were great live but my vote still goes to the Roth era. Now Hagar by himself was another story...he rocked. Same thing goes with him, Michael Anthony, Joe Satriani, and whoever the drummer is with the band Chickenfoot. That's some good stuff...

Ummmm, really, this is not even a debate, ROTH........ Foolish question.

Pardon me, I didn't know your opinions were the word down from Sinai, maybe you should have them inscribed on stone tablets.

I liked the band better with Hagar; I think he was the better singer and I liked the songs they did with Hagar better. This is an opinion and those who disagree are not foolish.

Roth. I saw them in '78 I believe and they were great, Also saw Sammy, about the same time and he was great too, just not with Van Halen, imo.

Roth. They were too clean around the edges with Hager and lacked flamboyancy. Meaning- with Hager the energy and cohesiveness of the whole was not there. Roth was the original VH badboy and quite a good showman. Sammy, nah, never worked for me. VH almost had a Christian feel to the band with Hager, though it wasn't. Nothing wrong with that, just not my cup of tea.

Roth. They were too clean around the edges with Hager

This is the way I have always thought of it as well. I however liked what they produced with Hagar much more than with Roth. 5150 is one of my all time favorite albums. I have always enjoyed a little more 80s-ish sound (Jump, Why Can't This Be Love, Right Now compared to the more edgey earlier stuff like Jamie's Cryin etc).

However, in the end, Van Halen was just an awesome band no matter if it was Roth or Hagar.

Back
Top Bottom