Heard Bose 901 VI speakers and really like them ! Any 901 fans ?

vintage4

I was invited to hear my neighbor's new speakers recently . He purchased a pair of Bose 901 in black cabs from the company online . This guy is a true blue Bose fan . He has a dedicated room for the 901's with a chair in the triangle sweet spot about 11 feet from the speakers . The speaker are actually placed corner to corner in a room about 12x15 . Electronics is basically vintage/analog , a big ole Sansui receiver, pioneer turntable and DVD player for CDs . I set in his listening chair . He put in a CD by Ray Obeido , "Sticks and Stones" , pressed play and left the room . I've never heard Bose top speakers and wasn't prepared for what I heard . I'm used to a more center focus stereo image from conventional box style speakers . Sound source from left to right and center , not the wrap around effect of the 901's . These things have a huge soundfield , I mean Huge!! They are not high definition reproducers and are a little vague compared to the better competition . They are very musical sounding and really easy to listen to for many hours . I can't say this for many speakers but the 901's have it in spades . Anyway listening to the 901's puts you in the center of the sound . It's like you're completely surrounded by the soundfield , music seems to come from everywhere . It's not pin point imaging but more diffused . Frankly I'm intrigued and actually love the sound of the speakers . They are extremely musical and smooth , something I didn't expect . Especially considering that they use so many drivers , but they're all fullrangers and they are coherent sounding to the T ! And they have excellent deep bass response . I'll bet these things can go down into the low 30's in this room , you can feel the bass . The imaging they project into a room might not be accurate compared to a more conventional speaker but as of now I don't care . I just love that bigger than life sound the speakers have and how they seem to put you right in the middle of it all . These speakers are exceptional with jazz ! I'm a 901 fan and frankly didn't believe I could ever fall for this type sound . I love the sound of the 901 VI speakers ! Which series of 901 over the years was your favorite . This is for Bose fans only . Comments appreciated . Please no Bose bashers !

Last edited:
They received a very favorable review from Jeff Dorgay of TONEAudio. I think he gave them a fair shot and they impressed.

Ive heard the 901"s(diff versions thru the years) and never been impressed enough to understand the retail $$ Bose ask for them, but if you can get them for between $500-$600 new then that's not to bad for the price/performance ratio and is on would be on par with most other Chi Fi speakers that share the same price/perf ratio.

Last edited:
My buddy just picked up an older set that needs to be refoamed. I'm looking forward to hearing them with his big old Kenwood receiver and Technics SL1200Mk2.

The Bose 901's....

Some like'em, some don't. That's just plain and simple. These speakers aren't for everyone and that's understandable. Because I know for a fact that there are better speakers out there. As for Bose speakers in general and other Bose products, well not everything Bose puts out is top of the line.

But in my opinion, the Bose 901 Series as well as the Bose 802 Series are "exceptional speakers"! Designed with expertise and quality that can deliver that sensational sound as described in the first post. I know because I own two pairs of 901 Series V speakers (have had one pair since the early 80's) and also have a pair of 802's Series II going on four years now. Believe me when setup and positioned correctly with the correct Bose Active Equalizer and a very good power amplifier, they will sing!

Ive heard the 901"s(diff versions thru the years) and never been impressed enough to understand the retail $$ Bose ask for them, but if you can get them for between $500-$600 new then that's not to bad for the price/performance ratio and is on would be on par with most other Chi Fi speakers that share the same price/perf ratio.

The asking price for 901's is extremely reasonable when you consider you get a damn near full range speaker and the EQ that makes them successful. Plenty of very mediocre standmount speakers that cost more.

The asking price for 901's is extremely reasonable when you consider you get a damn near full range speaker and the EQ that makes them successful. Plenty of very mediocre standmount speakers that cost more.

Cant say i agree.........full range or not the sound quality/full retail price does not match up.....IMO

It might be that because of the current trend among audiophiles to full range drivers many are now willing to have an open minded attitude to 901s and give them a fair listen.

What does that have to do with it? Assuming it's true and it probably isn't.

Tom, Bose has a history of suing, or threatening to sue over bad reviews. This is the reason many Hi Fi rags won't review them.

As for their sound - any speaker that present all recordings in a similar fashion(big, spread out, and diffused) cannot be considered an accurate speaker. The very concept they were design for(concert hall reproduction) is too varied for a single design to embrace. Listening test by Floyd Toole and THX have confirmed that most listener like speaker that interact LESS with their surroundings, not more.

The reality is everyone has a preferred listening taste. I lend more toward absolute accuracy as a sound designer/engineer. Others might like a lot of butter on their toast(tube folks), and there are others that like speaker that spread their sound to create artificial spatial effects.

Tom, Bose has a history of suing, or threatening to sue over bad reviews. This is the reason many Hi Fi rags won't review them.

Yes, I know Bose at least once sued a consumer magazine and if I recall correctly lost the suit. My question was what that has to do with the review in Tone and I think nothing. I don't think the guy at Tone lied about his impressions of the speaker as DM implied.

You work in the picture business, correct? I have some questions about modern movie sound I'd like to ask sometime.

Alleged lawsuits aside, Hifi publications rarely pan something because then they lose advertising dollars. Why not just use your brain and read between the lines? Products I've been lucky enough to own that have had write ups from various magazines have their pros and cons adequately represented. You just have to think critically about what you're reading. If something sucks you can be sure they'll allude to it some how. Do the 901s suck? The evidence points to the fact that they don't. Hardly a redesign in 40 years and people still buy them? Bose gets hyped over cube speaker systems, noise canceling headphones and iPod docks, not 40 year old hifi speakers. And yet they're still produced and they still sell. The evidence points to them NOT sucking.

Amar Bose doesn't get the credit he deserves. Many of the surround sound listeners I know are satsifed with their Bose systems. I think the 201 and 301 models help pay the bills.

There are many reviews in the Stereophile archives of the various incarnations of the 901 models. The OP may want to read these if he was unaware of them.

Amar Bose was kind enough to donate his company's majority shares to MIT.
This act shows the true measure of the man. His thanks to MIT for his education.

Back
Top Bottom