Yamaha CR (relay problem?)

tightplatoni

Hi I'm new here wondering if you could help

I have a Yamaha CR-420, and it works fine except all of a sudden the relay clicking sound that comes on when you turn it on, keeps clicking non-stop. It still plays just fine on any setting, but you can hear it clicking (mechanically not through the speakers).

I've tried unplugging it and the problem may go away for a short while..but normally within 10 minutes it will start clicking again non stop, and then if I turn it off and on right away it will keep clicking no matter what.

Can anyone help me as to how to fix it or know what caused it?

I am no expert but it would seem that if the relay were doing the clicking then the sound would follow the clicking on and off so it would seem to me to be something else
Have you had the cover off?
It would seem that with it open the source of the noise would be obvious

Hi I'm new here wondering if you could help

I have a Yamaha CR-420, and it works fine except all of a sudden the relay clicking sound that comes on when you turn it on, keeps clicking non-stop. It still plays just fine on any setting, but you can hear it clicking (mechanically not through the speakers).

I've tried unplugging it and the problem may go away for a short while..but normally within 10 minutes it will start clicking again non stop, and then if I turn it off and on right away it will keep clicking no matter what.

Can anyone help me as to how to fix it or know what caused it?

When the relay "clicks" does the sound(music) also shut off in sequence with the relay clicking?

http://sportsbil.com/yamaha/cr-420-s.pdf

Last edited:
If the music is uninterupted------

Look at the foil side of the circuit board under the relay.See if someone has by-passed the relay contacts on the relay..

Yes the music is un-interrupted by the relay clicking - it sounds exactly like the relay when the amp first turns on so I'm sure that is it.

The amp was fine until the other day, just started happening. I will look inside if I see anything although I don't know what I would be looking for! Thanks guys

If the music is uninterupted------

Look at the foil side of the circuit board under the relay.See if someone has by-passed the relay contacts on the relay..

Hey get back over to my thread
I was first
LOL
Seriously take the top off 2 screws on each side
I believe yours will just lift off but may have to slide the receiver forward and out of the case
I even put the tip of my finger on top of the relay plastic and if it is clicking you can feel it

Hey ok so I just took the cover off and can see the actual spring from the relay clicking..I might have been wrong about the music being interrupted as it clicks fairly quickly so there it sounds like it is cutting out and coming back right away actually, did not notice that before

However, I just tried to 'take off' the relay box thing, and played around with it and pushed down on it..and everything seems to be fine now - for now anyway. So maybe it was something loose underneath or inside the relay?!

I don't know how the relay connects to the board or how it takes off..but my pushing down on it seems to have stopped the clicking. ???

Thanks guys, hope it stays good..been good for about 6minutes now and usually after 30seconds it has been clicking.

You gotta love a repair like that
If it were me it would start all over again tomorrow
That sounds more like a bad solder connection on the bottom of the board
let it ride and see what happens

Hey ok so I just took the cover off and can see the actual spring from the relay clicking..I might have been wrong about the music being interrupted as it clicks fairly quickly so there it sounds like it is cutting out and coming back right away actually, did not notice that before

However, I just tried to 'take off' the relay box thing, and played around with it and pushed down on it..and everything seems to be fine now - for now anyway. So maybe it was something loose underneath or inside the relay?!

I don't know how the relay connects to the board or how it takes off..but my pushing down on it seems to have stopped the clicking. ???

Thanks guys, hope it stays good..been good for about 6minutes now and usually after 30seconds it has been clicking.

Reflow the solder connections under the relay and look for additional cold/loose/cracked solder connections.

Well Peeps I have to go do some fume hood readings and calibrations..

Reflow the solder connections under the relay and look for additional cold/loose/cracked solder connections.

Thanks man..it's been working fine since yesterday but will keep it in mind in case it happens again..I couldn't figure out how to remove the relay though?

It would be removed by removing the solder connections from underneath
I just had a pioneer with a similar problem I just touched a solder iron to the connections and reflowed the existing solder
If your problem returns that should cure it

Thanks man..it's been working fine since yesterday but will keep it in mind in case it happens again..I couldn't figure out how to remove the relay though?

If needed..Unsolder the 6-8 pins beneath the relay and pull off the board from the top. If you pushed down on the relay and its now working. You have a loose solder connection on that board somewhere..You haven't fixed the problem yet.

Last edited:
If needed..Unsolder the 6-8 pins beneath the relay and pull of the board from the top. If you pushed down on the relay and its now working. You have a loose solder connection on that board somewhere..You haven't fixed the problem yet.

Yup. You're right, the problem came back..

I'm not sure how to 'unsolder' the pins beneath the relay ..I've taken a picture though.

Do I need to access from the other side of the board? Or should I just pull up on the relay and try to unsolder it as I go, there's not much space - excuse my ignorance never done this kinda thing!

(The relay thing that clicks is the small plastic box with numbers on it - I think the plastic cover can come off somehow?)

Attachments

• 2012-10-31 13.25.30 small.jpg
    2012-10-31 13.25.30 small.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 26
Remove the bottom panel. Should be able to access the solder side easily.May be and AK'r locally that can help you out.

Thanks! I just tried it..just touched the points with my solder iron as I didn't have any actual solder lying around. It's working again, for now, wasn't sure if I actually did anything! Might just be temporary though as I didn't exactly resolder it.

You didnt need any solder but if you do use solder make sure you use the correct type
When someone says to reflow the solder that means to just melt the existing solder enough to make a good solder connection
You actually did it right Just heat it enough to melt it and stop. I stop when it gets shiny again
Finesse is the key

You didnt need any solder but if you do use solder make sure you use the correct type
When someone says to reflow the solder that means to just melt the existing solder enough to make a good solder connection
You actually did it right Just heat it enough to melt it and stop. I stop when it gets shiny again
Finesse is the key

adding just a small amount of new solder will improve things though.

Back
Top Bottom