Sgt.Peppers.... too dated?

superdog

AK Member
I used to love Sgt.Peppers but now can't seem to muster the desire to play it in years.It consistently ranks in the top tier of rock lps but in thinking it just sounds too dated for me.A masterpiece of psychedelia circa 1967 but to me it just doesn't hold the test of time anymore.I prefer Rubber Soul and Revolver.

I never got the fascination with it but folks love it. A Day in the Life is a fantastic song if you cut the McCartney part. I prefer...All Things Must Pass and Plastic Ono Band :).

I used to love Sgt.Peppers but now can't seem to muster the desire to play it in years.It consistently ranks in the top tier of rock lps but in thinking it just sounds too dated for me.A masterpiece of psychedelia circa 1967 but to me it just doesn't hold the test of time anymore.I prefer Rubber Soul and Revolver.

Consider yourself lucky that you still like Rubber Soul and Revolver.

I can't seem to muster the desire to play much of -anything- that I loved back in the 60's and 70's. Go figure....

I never got the fascination with it but folks love it. A Day in the Life is a fantastic song if you cut the McCartney part. I prefer...All Things Must Pass and Plastic Ono Band :).

Definately the best song on the lp.I can still listen to it.

Consider yourself lucky that you still like Rubber Soul and Revolver.

I can't seem to muster the desire to play much of -anything- that I loved back in the 60's and 70's. Go figure....

Truth be told I really just heard Rubber Soul and Revolver in their entirety when they came out with the remasters a few years ago.I'm 51 so I haven't been listening to the Beatles for 50 years as my main Beatles listening was in the 80s with SPLHCB,MMT and the White,and Abbey Road.I'd probably feel the same way as you.

I agree that "A Day in the Life" is by far the standout track. I don't know if the LP is "too dated" or not because like other posters, I've always preferred Rubber Soul and Revolver over Sgt. Peppers.

Never liked much about SPLHCB past its cover art and the inserts. If it has to be Beatles, make it Revolver and throw in a few of the older, more basic releases , e.g., Beatles '65 and Yesterday & Today.

G'day all, an interesting thread. I admit that although Sgt. Peppers is a landmark album, I've never been a huge fan of it.

Aspects of the 'times', particularly drug and LSD use were a major part of its creation/inspiration, and personally I regard that as sad/unfortunate. Regards, Felix aka catman.

Last edited:
SPLHCB used to hold great importance to me. Nowadays, not so much. Prefer Revolver, the Capitol version of Rubber Soul
or The White Album over it.

Never liked much about SPLHCB past its cover art and the inserts. If it has to be Beatles, make it Revolver and throw in a few of the older, more basic releases , e.g., Beatles '65 and Yesterday & Today.

Yeah I know what you mean.A lot of good tracks on those that seem to hold up better.

We are discussing their relative merits close to 50 years after their releases. This should be a clue as to just how important they were then, and still are, now.

So I'll say "Abbey Road", and get most of the great Beatle's albums represented.

Well because of this thread I pulled out my old English mono version of pepper ( I do not at all the stereo version) It still works for me as it did 30 years ago. I still find it fresh. I not a nostalgic person at all so I can't say that I like this because it reminds me of a period... it's just works for me as does revolver and rubber soul.

I find most Beatles music to be dated to my ears. Early Stones and The Who as well. When these bands were messing around with psychedelia the real deal was going on in SF.

..."It was forty years ago today ... ".

I still listen to my copy when in the mood. When I do I remember the story behind the music ... it "makes" me appreciate it for the marvel it was "in it's time" a long long time ago. The picture is of Geoff Emerick. He was the studio engineer that worked at Abbey Road studios and broke just about every rule the stiff neck management had to produce a ground breaking album. The picture shows Ringo (the rest of the group were out of the country on some ground breaking escapades of their own) presenting Mr. Emerick with the first Grammy that went to a studio engineer for his work on a rock & roll album ... the album?
Sgt. Peppers. I encourage anyone who remotely likes Beatles music to read Mr. Emerick's book ..."Here, There & Everywhere" about the first time the "lads" appeared at Abbey Road to cut their first record ... he was there. And he vividly recalls his own experiences with the "fab four" thru all the highs and lows. Like the day the studio was overrun by thralls of screaming teenage girls bent on grabbing onto a Beatle. The boys were hiddden in one of the small storage closets until security got things under control. Then the "boys" being full of energy (and testosterone) from that experience, entered into their recording studio and produced what Mr. Emerick thinks was their best effort to date. What was that song? ... "She Loves You". That was a great book to read.
Yeah ... I still listen to Sgt. Peppers some time ... hope I always want to too! Peace:yes:
http://www.amazon.com/Here-There-Ev...7&sr=8-1&keywords=Here,+There+and+Everywhere:
EmericksGrammy.jpg

earlybeatles.jpg

Last edited:
Well I for one don't give a "HOOT" what they were smokin or takin back in the 60's.I have listened to all Beatles music since they first came out and love it all but yes some are better than other so be it!Dated? So is most Vintage Gear that many have so I say love it or leave it and to each his own:)

Shes Leaving Home will always be one of my favorite Beatle songs. Not my favorite album but it is up there with Revolver and RS.

the UK Help! is a current fave .

I enjoy all the Beatles albums. You've heard them so many times though sometimes you get bored with it.

I rip them all to computer and play randomly. No boredom. Occasionally a Beatles tune will come up and you instantly recognize it and if nobodys around maybe hum along (I have no musical gift). They were so sing along. I can understand the words.
Doesn't everyone know all the words to the Beatles tunes?

Sgt Peppers is a great album. I was in college when it came out we spent alot of time in philosophy class discussing it and we were all wrong.

Still works for me, don't find it dated at all. I prefer Revolver, but having said that I don't listen to alot of Beatles at the present time. Kind of comes in waves, right now not so much, but when I do they all still work for me.

I received the entire box set of remastered CD's a couple of years back as a gift and have only listened to Rubber Soul and Revolver (on multiple occasions). I have not yet listened to any of the others. I suppose that's pretty telling as to my Beatles tastes.

Back
Top Bottom