Sgt.Peppers.... too dated?

You've heard them so many times though sometimes you get bored with it.

I think that's the problem, we get burned out on these albums after a while. I loved Sgt. Peppers when I was little - it's the Beatles album that really made me a fan. Now I really only feel the desire to reach for Rubber Soul and Revolver, plus the mono CD of Help! was a pleasant surprise for me.

Who knows, maybe some day you'll be inexplicably struck with the urge to hear Sgt. Peppers, and then it will work for you.

I agree (RS over SPLHCB), after all these years. Abbey Road I never grow tired of while the White Album has always been just "eh", to me (I do get it's place in history/importance but never realy went ga-ga over it). Funny thing is I must own 6 or 7 copies of it from buying small collections.

I may be trying to say that Sgt.Peppers has evolved to be my least favorite Beatle lp.Not intentionally though.I would say burnout but I have probably played it only five times in the last fifteen years.Maybe I burned out on it in the 80s and early 90s.I had this on vinyl years ago and don't remember which copy long gone though.When I recently got back into vinyl a few years ago I picked a pretty clean copy Capitol red label SMAL- 2653.Maybe it was my setup at the time but I found the sound unremarkable.

G'day all, perhaps this is my peculiarly Aspergers viewpoint, but it must be remembered and appreciated that such albums were/are a reflection of their 'time'.

For me I always perceive that, and that is part of the way I hear such albums. Others may ignore the 'history' aspect and hear these albums purely on 'musical' terms. That's fine too. 'Whatever gets you through the night' Yep. Regards, Felix aka catman.

Personal taste is going to play into it. My girlfriend retreats to "Aja" when she's in a bad mood. "Aja" puts me in IN a bad mood. I'm too young to have witnessed Sgt Peppers when it was fresh, so it always sounded dated to me. But that doesn't explain my distaste for it (I've never made it through the whole album in one sitting). I can listen to Odessey and Oracle all day, though it's also obviously a product of its time.

But that's just my view. If somebody loves Sgt. Peppers...then who am I to disagree? I'm surprised, though, that so many in this thread seem to feel indifferent as well. It was always one of those things that I was told that I HAD to like. So maybe that's why I don't like it. Unlike that Zombie's album that I mentioned, Sgt Pepper's just sounds like a mess to me, all over the place. Without the context of having lived through the '60s, I can only listen to it out of context, out of any sort of frame of reference except knowing that when I was young all my friend's parents were really into it, and they were all really boring. I'm sure that doesn't help...:).

I have no idea why, but I never really took Sgt Pepper seriously. I'm not a dedicated fan, but enough of one that I have the dozen or so that represent the core catalogue, and only bought Sgt Pepper to fill in the collection.

Personally, I've always liked SPLHCB. I think iif it hadn't been for SPLHCB there would be much Rock and Roll we wouldn't be hearing today. It inspired many bands. I like every song on it. I prefer 67 to 70 albums than the 62 to 66. I like all of the Beatles though. Also one of my favorite is Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite

Last edited:
Remember to try to put Sgt Pepper into context. It was the Beatles response, in a way, to the Beach Boys Pet Sounds, and much of what was done on the album in terms of its production values was done 'because [technically] it COULD be done'. I view it as an experimental album and in that context it has lasted pretty well.

That defense stated, I too prefer Rubber Soul and Revolver musically speaking.

I like Sgt. Peppers, but I always liked the White Album & Abbey Road better.

I still love it like the day it came out. After that lp The Beatles faded out of my musical progression and I delved into Hendrix, Zappa and alike.

At the time the drummers I knew were blown away by Ringo's "whump-bop-whumpwhump-bop" on the title song, Hell, it's still the first thing I do when I sit down at a drum kit. Other than that I don't think much about it.

I think psychedelic music distracted Rock and Roll for several years; it took Thin Lizzy, AC-DC and the Ramones to sweep away the cobwebs those half folky hippie noodlers gathered.

I used to love Sgt.Peppers but now can't seem to muster the desire to play it in years.It consistently ranks in the top tier of rock lps but in thinking it just sounds too dated for me.A masterpiece of psychedelia circa 1967 but to me it just doesn't hold the test of time anymore.I prefer Rubber Soul and Revolver.

Same here. I never did care about Sgt. Pepper. I always thought Rubber Soul and Revolver were more breakthrough albums.

I go thru moods with the Beatles. Having listened to everyone of their songs at least a thousand times its hard to listen to on a regular basis anymore. But spring time is when I usually listen to SPLHCB - released June 1, 1967. I'll listen to Abbey Road in the fall and The White Album during Christmas. For me certain times of the year spur the desire for certain albums.

Pink Floyd has been getting a good going thru for the last while.

Good thread.

I like all the Beatles albums (but I like the later output better), but for me it all gets old, I tire of them quickly and this has been the case since I heard their albums a few times. I can only listen to any of their albums a few times a year, unlike many other bands I like a lot. Odd, but true for me.

I can finally come out of the closet. I thought I was the only SPLHCB non-liker.

I do, however, frequently spin Rubber Soul, Revolver and any of the other earlier stuff that I can get my hands on.

John

I thought that Sgt Peppers was a very good and perhaps borderline great album. I think that because it was a Beatles endeavor the beguiling reverence that people have for the group (and they certainly deserved it) elevates the praise of that album up a bunch of levels. I recently listened to Sgt. Pepper and I was taken aback by how dated it sounded.
My avatar notwithstanding, I think that Hendrix’ Electric Ladyland has withstood the test of time better. It is as relevant today as it was 43 years ago and has proven to be more than equal to Sgt Pepper artistically and influentially.

Back
Top Bottom