Sgt.Peppers.... too dated?

Thanks for clearing things up, but I have a question. I have to go out shopping this afternoon. I was going to give the Zombies another listen, but I'm wondering if I should pop Pepper into the CD player. What do I do?:D

Zombies of course.:thmbsp:

That is the point I was trying to make, but you state it better. That and the blatant irony of someone with a Hendrix avatar asking if something from the exact same period is "dated."

Besides, nobody here really cares whether it is dated or not. Criticisms have come down to:

1. I do not like the Beatles in the first place.
2. I used to like it but have heard it too much.
3. I like [insert other Beatles album] better.
4. I do not like rock and roll in general.
5. My tastes have changed.
6. I like it, but I despise the never ending attention and praise the Beatles garner while the Zombies languish in obscurity.

All are legitimate stances (except #6) but have litte or anything to do with something being dated, whatever that means.:music:

I don't think just because two artists from the same period means they are automatically dated.To me pretty much anything Hendrix did holds up better than Sgt.Pepper.Not everything the Beatles did.We are talking about a specific lp here.Anyway in looking at the songs on Pepper individually instead of the looking at it like the "concept album" it is supposed to be bodes better with me.No need to get so wound up as it is all in good fun.

I don't think just because two artists from the same period means they are automatically dated.To me pretty much anything Hendrix did holds up better than Sgt.Pepper.Not everything the Beatles did.We are talking about a specific lp here.Anyway in looking at the songs on Pepper individually instead of the looking at it like the "concept album" it is supposed to be bodes better with me.No need to get so wound up as it is all in good fun.

I am inclined to agree as I think the very notion of "Dated" is at best specious.

However, I stand by the irony comment. Sgt Pepper, whatever one thinks of it, epitomizes the psychedelic 60s. So does Hendrix, especially Are You Experienced and Axis. It would be akin to me stating that Never Mind the Bollocks sounded Dated whilst having Joe Strummer as my avatar.

As to which one holds up better, who cares? They were both great. People are still listening to both and starting threads on both. You did.

btw: Hendrix did a great cover of Sgt Pepper. He loved the album.

I love Hendrix's music, but a lot of it sounds like the late 60s to me. Just like Pepper. Again, not in a bad way.

Didn't Hendrix cover Sgt Pepper the day after it came out, with Paul in the audience? I seem to recall reading that he was feeling pretty good about the album and then Hendrix tore the title track a new one. I know I have Hendrix boot with a good version of it.

For the record, I decided against the Nickleback. My shopping was for tonight's dinner, and I'm grilling some burgers. I had to get propane, and pick up some beer. Listening to Nickleback probably would have made me crush a six-pack worth of beer on the drive home. I kept The Zombies in the CD player instead. This Is Our Year is a pretty good tune.

I still enjoy their early rock and roll covers. Paperback Writer and the like.
Don't care for the White Album at all.
St. Peppers is not something I will buy, for much the same reason as the OP doesn't listen to it anymore. Nothing wrong about it. Just not the music for the day.

No mean spiritedness or offense intended here but could it be that a more appropriate word than dated could be over-rated? Several years ago I listened to Sgt. Pepper and almost immediately thereafter Jethro Tull’s Thick as a Brick; both in quiet solitude with the intimacy of my headphones. It had been many years since I’d listened to either one of them. My reaction to Sgt. Pepper was relatively lukewarm. In contrast, with Thick as a Brick, I found myself enjoying it immensely, smiling sometimes and thinking to myself, “ I don’t remember this shit being this good".

No mean spiritedness or offense intended here but could it be that a more appropriate word than dated could be over-rated? Several years ago I listened to Sgt. Pepper and almost immediately thereafter Jethro Tull’s Thick as a Brick; both in quiet solitude with the intimacy of my headphones. It had been many years since I’d listened to either one of them. My reaction to Sgt. Pepper was relatively lukewarm. In contrast, with Thick as a Brick, I found myself enjoying it immensely, smiling sometimes and thinking to myself, “ I don’t remember this shit being this good".

The more appropriate word or words would be things like "Taste" or "Preference".

If you think Thick as a Brick is the best album ever, then it is, to you at least. And there is nothing wrong with that.

The critical establishment, then and now, gave Sgt Pepper outstanding reviews. It sold millions, then and now. It won polls then and wins polls now. Consequently, over-rated is simply inappropriate.

There are always those who do not care for something that most like. Personally, I don't think Dr Zhivago is that great of a film. But...I also know I am in the minority.:)

I don't have any problem using the word "dated" as there are pieces of music that place me right at time, place and style of the exact time it was made. I can't escape that imagery.
The music I enjoy and believe is "undated" allows me to listen without thinking about time, period or hairstyle . I admit it can be subjective but I think true classics are capable of this.
If the word "dated" is way off-base perhaps so should be the word "timeless":).

The more appropriate word or words would be things like "Taste" or "Preference".

If you think Thick as a Brick is the best album ever, then it is, to you at least. And there is nothing wrong with that.

The critical establishment, then and now, gave Sgt Pepper outstanding reviews. It sold millions, then and now. It won polls then and wins polls now. Consequently, over-rated is simply inappropriate.

There are always those who do not care for something that most like. Personally, I don't think Dr Zhivago is that great of a film. But...I also know I am in the minority.:)

I see your point.

I picked up O&O from my library last week, and I'm kinda so-so on it. I don't dislike it, but I'm not loving it, either. I get the feeling the more I listen to it the more I'll enjoy it.

"Beechwood Park" > "Brief Candles" > "Hung Up on a Dream" is a mind-expanding eternal universe of psychedelic pleasures all in less than 10 minutes. I'll have to agree with Mystic (some other thread) that monaural is the way to go on this album, but stereo is still sweet. The mono/stereo CD version is the way to go. On LP, the UK 30th Anniversary LP in stereo sounds fab.

This thread is reflecting the consensus that "Revolver" and "Rubber Soul" surpassed SPLHCB among music nerds years ago when the UK versions became common on CD (I know, I know, the "folky" US "Rubber Soul" is a treat).

As for The Rolling Stones' TSMR (aka "Cosmic Christmas"), I'm glad Lil'Brian brought it up. There are some fine tunes on it, but it gets a bit lazy at times. "Child of the Moon" (rmk) is so darn rocking and belonged on TSMR, rather than the flipside to "Jumpin' Jack Flash." "We Love You" also would have made TSMR much better. Plus, "We Love You" holds up better than "All You Need Is Love." That being said, MMT is better than SPLHCB when it comes to easily digestible 60s psych, "dated" or not.

Ken - "Child of the Moon", how did I forget that one? Thank you. Kind of busy but got to thinking about '67 and after a quick review, it's amazing the quality of the releases that year. Doors, Airplane, Grateful Dead, V.U., Pink Floyd, Janis, Jimi, Beach Boys, Cream... and on & on. I wouldn't classify myself as a big classic rock guy but that's some quality right there, no matter what your tastes are. :thmbsp:

I have never heard of Odessey and Oracle until now.I may have to pick up a cd because as I researched the lps go for big bucks.
Just for the record I was always a big fan of psychedelic music .

heh. Philistine that I am... I just realized I am sitting here listening to Let it Be, Naked whilst I am reading through the updates to this thread.

heh. Philistine that I am... I just realized I am sitting here listening to Let it Be, Naked whilst I am reading through the updates to this thread.

I listened to that a couple of weeks ago in my kid's playroom, with a low watt Sansui feeding some Minimus 7s. I think the loudness button was pushed in, too.
And this afternoon I had the 5 channel DVD-A mix of Love playing on the big system while we played some board games. And we weren't even sitting in the sweet spot, we were on the floor behind the rear channel speakers.:D

Back
Top Bottom