Sgt.Peppers.... too dated?

I have never heard of Odessey and Oracle until now.I may have to pick up a cd because as I researched the lps go for big bucks.

The Big Beat UK LP (stereo) sounds fantastic. Should sell for less than $30.

The Big Beat CD has both the mono and stereo versions of the album, plus bonus tracks.

Give it a few spins and I bet you'll dig it. Don't let those cretins above deter you with their blasphemous naked loudness button talk.

I just turned 50. I never listened to the Beatles. I never listened to the Rolling Stones, either. My music tastes were, and still are Rush, Pink Floyd, Yes & Genesis. Basically very progressive. I first bought a Rubber Soul CD in the late nineties because Norwegian Wood is, to my ears, simply gorgeous. It's only been the last three years or so that I've listened to the Beatles, seriously. This means it's all very new to me.

It's important for me to note this to Akers because in the past, other than hearing songs on the radio, I didn't know the Beatles at all. This leads me to today, as the Beatles are now on my top five favorite bands of all time list. In just three short years the Beatles' music has effected me so much, that I listen to them regularly, every week. I'm in a good place because it's all fresh and new. For me, there's nothing "dated" about St. Pepper. I tend to favor Harrrison songs so Within You Without You is my favorite Pepper song. I like McCartney's input on A Day in the Life. I never really liked Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds. It's not my favorite Beatles record, that'd be MMT, followed by Revolver, Rubber Soul and Abbey Road. Sgt. Pepper is there as well, but I feel there's some filler there. That's it.

I do very much enjoy the fact that I am in a unique place as someone who is essentially discovering the Beatles for the first time, nearly 50 years after their first release. So, my conclusion is that absolutely none of the Beatles records are dated, least of all, Sgt. Pepper.:music:

S.J.

All this discussion inspired me to pull out ole Pepper last night. I was showing the cover to my boy. I noted that Paul, Ringo, and Bob Dylan are the only people on the cover who are still alive.

Last edited:
I've never been too big of a Beatle fan personally.
Don't get me wrong, they're the biggest band possibly ever - but I just don't think they're the best.
I'll go through Beatles moods where I'll listen to some of their songs for a few days, and then I'll go back to my usual listening material. Their early stuff is just bland and boring to me, with the exception of a few songs. Their best stuff is, of course, when they started doing drugs. But even then, I find it hard to enjoy an entire Beatles album. Sgt. Pepper's is one of the most overrated albums of all time, I don't get how it's seen as their best album. In my humble opinion, the only reason it's so famous is because it was released in 1967 and because of the 'Paul Is Dead' theory.

To me, the reason why I can't listen to an entire Beatles album in one sitting, is because the songs don't seem to flow well together. The Doors' first album flows perfectly. Side one and two alike. Another thing is that some of the Beatles' songs seem to sound childish. I mean Yellow Submarine? C'mon.

Again, don't attack me for my opinion on The Beatles. I'm just not a big fan of them, but if you are I can perfectly see why.

All this discussion inspired me to pull out ole Pepper last night. I was showing the cover to my boy. I noted that Paul, Ringo, and Bob Dylan are the only people on the cover who are still alive.

The cover always fascinated me as a kid. I'd love to show my lp copy to my kid, but some idiot cut the drum part out of it. She would probably take that as inspiration, and I'd have hacked up covers all of the place. And she'd no doubt go after the valuable ones.

I've never been too big of a Beatle fan personally.
Don't get me wrong, they're the biggest band possibly ever - but I just don't think they're the best.
I'll go through Beatles moods where I'll listen to some of their songs for a few days, and then I'll go back to my usual listening material. Their early stuff is just bland and boring to me, with the exception of a few songs. Their best stuff is, of course, when they started doing drugs. But even then, I find it hard to enjoy an entire Beatles album. Sgt. Pepper's is one of the most overrated albums of all time, I don't get how it's seen as their best album. In my humble opinion, the only reason it's so famous is because it was released in 1967 and because of the 'Paul Is Dead' theory.

To me, the reason why I can't listen to an entire Beatles album in one sitting, is because the songs don't seem to flow well together. The Doors' first album flows perfectly. Side one and two alike. Another thing is that some of the Beatles' songs seem to sound childish. I mean Yellow Submarine? C'mon.

Again, don't attack me for my opinion on The Beatles. I'm just not a big fan of them, but if you are I can perfectly see why.

For some I guess they had to have been there.I wasn't as I was nine when they broke up in 1970.I didn't have be there to understand the genius of their music.Not saying I like everything they did but I can or have connected to most of there music.Assuming you are a Zeppelin fan I am too.I was there for the last half of their career.

For some I guess they had to have been there.I wasn't as I was nine when they broke up in 1970.I didn't have be there to understand the genius of their music.Not saying I like everything they did but I can or have connected to most of there music.Assuming you are a Zeppelin fan I am too.I was there for the last half of their career.

I can relate..somewhat. I was negative 26 years old when they broke up.

And you bring up a great point, I never grew up on Beatles. Their stuff was just "there", in the movies and TV. And when I started actually listening to them my reaction was just like, "Oh."

I also listened to a majority of their stuff out of order, that's probably a moot point considering I grew up on Zeppelin out of order.

I have never heard of Odessey and Oracle until now.I may have to pick up a cd because as I researched the lps go for big bucks.
Just for the record I was always a big fan of psychedelic music .

I picked up this CD and just don't get it other than Time Of the Season. Much prefer Best of the 60's Zombies collection. Excellent sound and not one bad track on it :no:

As far as Pepper - I still enjoy it. Though I like Abbey Road better. I love them all but recently find myself playing the new stereo Hard Day's Night. Such exuberance on that album. Listen to Happy Just to Dance, Ask Me Why, Things We Said, and I'll Be Back and you cannot help but smile :yes:

Yesterday browsing record store found American Graffiti soundtrack 2 CDs in great condition for 3.99 sweet deal. The story takes place in 1962 and soundtrack is 41 tracks popular at that time. I graduated HS 1966 so relate to all this. Hanging out, driving around Sat night trying to pick up girls. Drive around til dark and then go to drive in movie. (try to find somebody old enough and willing to buy beer)

5 years later 1967 Sgt Pepper came out. What a difference. 45 years ago and as mentioned still discussing. Sgt Pepper was totally different unique etc etc especially when comparing to something like American Graffiti.

What has happened over 45 years is that Sgt Pepper is not dated. It has been copied so many times that now it seems familiar or common. It had such a huge influence it became standard. By this I don't mean just the music but how it was produced/technology. The Beatles and their producers used many tricks that are now common or easily done with current technology. They were way ahead of everyone else and why we still have threads like this.

I love British Invasion music and have a nice collection of most all of the artists from this genre and time period. I really like the Zombies for instance but they only produced 3 albums before disbanding (incredible how many greatest hits there are). As much as I enjoy Zombies, DC5, Hollies, Yardbirds etc., they are the dated ones.

I never got the fascination with it but folks love it. A Day in the Life is a fantastic song if you cut the McCartney part. I prefer...All Things Must Pass and Plastic Ono Band :).

A big plus one.

Nothing against the Walrus but All Things Must Pass and Plastic Ono Band are the best works ever by the Beatles.

I have never heard of Odessey and Oracle until now.I may have to pick up a cd because as I researched the lps go for big bucks. Just for the record I was always a big fan of psychedelic music .

Another Zombies release to look for: Time Of The Zombies (Epic, U.K., 1974)

This is a comp that's comprised of the entire Odessey & Oracle album, various hit singles, and tracks from their unreleased follow-up album to O&O.

At the time it was fantastic - like Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. However - unlike PATGOD - Sgt. Pepper inspired a lot of artsy-fartsy imitators. This form of cultural damage affected England more than the USA. Australia's Easybeats had the misfortune and bad timing of relocating to England during the Pepper Era. Their brand of garage pop wasn't "cool" anymore and luckily they fired off "Friday On My Mind" before slipping into obscurity.

They should have relocated to the USA instead and grew their career here - they probably would have been huge - a great teen band with a lot of originality and "close enough to English" accents for the girls - doing great songs like Paul Revere And The Raiders were doing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom