McIntosh 1900 Recap and Restore

So you are going to FLIP the Terry repaired unit when you believe it has issues, without getting it corrected?

So you are going to FLIP the Terry repaired unit when you believe it has issues, without getting it corrected?
No Issue with Terry's. It's my 2nd unit I do need to replace the Transistor.

No need to have a 2nd 1900...I am getting in a 4100 and Terry's will fund the purchase.

I am thinking on replacing the (2) 9300uf 50v caps.

1. Vishay/BC Components(594-MAL210118103E3) or EPCOS(871-B41456B8109M) 10,000uf 63V. These are screw terminals.

2. Nichicon KG Gold Tune or Super Through 10,000uf 63V

3. MUNDORF MLytic Audio Grade 10,000uf 63V

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

1. Vishay/BC Components(594-MAL210118103E3) or EPCOS(871-B41456B8109M) 10,000uf 63V. These are screw terminals.

Any thoughts?
Sent a message to PartConnextion to ask about what to use. Was recommended to go with Mundorf MLytic Audio Caps. No comparison to Vishay caps. I also talk to a Mac Service Center by me...Same on going with Audio Grade.

I jumped the gun and ordered from McIntosh..no biggie..I will put them up on Barter.

MUNDORF MLytic Audio Grade 10,000uf 63V will be ordered. And I will order 2 sets also for the MAC 1900 that I am working on.

Any comments? A bit quite on the Mac form....

Last edited:
Any comments? A bit quite on the Mac form....

I am truely sorry the forum is quiet for you......most of your questions seem to be rehashed tweek-o-file sales brochure marketing hype.......with no solid measurements of issues there can be no true solutions or answers. Just crazy guesses with no foundation or true problem solving.

The MAC1900 is a nice vintage receiver which deserves a competent thoughtful fact based restoration.

I am truely sorry the forum is quiet for you......most of your questions seem to be rehashed tweek-o-file sales brochure marketing hype.......with no solid measurements of issues there can be no true solutions or answers. Just crazy guesses with no foundation or true problem solving.

The MAC1900 is a nice vintage receiver which deserves a competent thoughtful fact based restoration.
Got it...

I ordered the MUNDORF...:yes: I have used MUNDORF and there is a difference. Since I am going all out on the 1900...What the heck. I will have Bragging rights on the work I have done.:D

I also order MUNDORF for the 4100. I am not (at this time) going to replace the resistors.

This sort of comment and attitude is exactly why I am visiting this forum less and less....

This sort of comment and attitude is exactly why I am visiting this forum less and less....

I deleted a whole thread on my MC30 restore for that reason. I suppose there's a ton of MC30 threads, but I was proud of my work. I'm getting ready to rebuild a MX110z, I'll most likely keep my work to myself.

kevzep & cc43fan - don't mind c_dk. He is a former McIntosh retail salesperson who masquerades as a tech on various forums. You have likely run into him at various high-end stores where they "know" what sounds good to you, regardless of what you think you hear (or not). And, he has 'clients' to prove it.

kevzep & cc43fan - don't mind c_dk. He is a former McIntosh retail salesperson who masquerades as a tech on various forums. You have likely run into him at various high-end stores where they "know" what sounds good to you, regardless of what you think you hear (or not). And, he has 'clients' to prove it.

I do actually mind, I too have deleted posts in this forum. It doesnt have to be like this...
But however, I have many other more enjoyable things to rather than trying to tip toe around this forum wondering whether I should try to comment or advise here all because of one non subscriber member here who appears to me, to think he has some automatic rights moderate and control this forum....

Sorry for taking the thread off topic.

Last edited:
I deleted a whole thread on my MC30 restore for that reason. I suppose there's a ton of MC30 threads, but I was proud of my work. I'm getting ready to rebuild a MX110z, I'll most likely keep my work to myself.

No way, post a thread, you totally have my interest and support, I want to visit here and help/advise guys with restorations repairs and whatnot, its what this place is supposed to be about......

I will be watching for your thread with great interest, we are all here to learn from each-other....

1. Vishay/BC Components(594-MAL210118103E3) or EPCOS(871-B41458B8109M) 10,000uf 63V. These are screw terminals.

Any thoughts?

Personally, I would have gone for the Nichicon KG.

The crackling you were referring to a few posts back will most certainly be a transistor, usually in a high gain part of the circuit, were all the transistors there replaced?

Personally, I would have gone for the Nichicon KG.

The crackling you were referring to a few posts back will most certainly be a transistor, usually in a high gain part of the circuit, were all the transistors there replaced?
The transistors should be here Tuesday/Wed...I ordered from Mac Service and Mouser(replacements from a Posted Thread)...I will replace ALL. As 1 is flaky..Just will be Peace of Mind.

I went with the MUNDORF as I have used these in the past...Also have used Nichicon KG. Ordered from PartConnextion and the Price was nice..Sales going on.

As for the Mac form comments...I have Recapped many different Brands...And have been Helped and Steered with Great results. Being my 1st Mac recap...My thought was why should One mess with the MAC sound...Sort of like Android and IOS users. For me it's about Learning and Sharing the results.

The transistors should be here Tuesday/Wed...I ordered from Mac Service and Mouser(replacements from a Posted Thread)...I will replace ALL. As 1 is flaky..Just will be Peace of Mind.

I went with the MUNDORF as I have used these in the past...Also have used Nichicon KG. Ordered from PartConnextion and the Price was nice..Sales going on.

As for the Mac form comments...I have Recapped many different Brands...And have been Helped and Steered with Great results. Being my 1st Mac recap...My thought was why should One mess with the MAC sound...Sort of like Android and IOS users. For me it's about Learning and Sharing the results.

Yeah, good call to get in there and change those transistors....with the substitutes from mouser, just make sure you note the pinouts and get those correct.....

Theres certainly no probelm using the Mundorfs at all.....I think either the Mundorf or the nichicon are good choices and you cant go wrong with either one....

The Mac sound is in the design, replacing with as good as, or better than replacements will only open the Mac sound up, I fully do not believe it will sound like a Sansui if you use certain components if you get where I am coming from...

Well, I am watching with interest and will help along the way if I can.....

Nice job, I look forward to the final result. My 1900 needs some TLC, most likely cap replacements, too.

Transistors are in...Going to let it run all nite...

For tomorrow will be installing the MUNDORF MLytic Audio Grade caps (10,000uf 63V).:yes:

Transistors are in...Going to let it run all nite...

For tomorrow will be installing the MUNDORF MLytic Audio Grade caps (10,000uf 63V).:yes:
Today I started getting the static sound...:scratch2:

I starting backwards and this wound up being a Very Bad Bad Resistor. Never had a New one go south. Need to order the replacement as I put the Old one back in.

Now Nice and CLEAN SOUNDING....I will put in the Mundorf's in the AM.

Stay Turned...:music:

So I picked up PANASONIC GAA 10,000uf/100V

I like what I hear...Going to hold on the Mundorf for now.

Going to put some hrs on the 1900....

A stock 1900 does not come close to this Rebuild...:D

Attachments

• MAC1900y.jpg
    MAC1900y.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 252
  • MAC1900z.jpg
    MAC1900z.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 235
So I picked up PANASONIC GAA 10,000uf/100V. I like what I hear... Going to hold on the Mundorf for now. Going to put some hrs on the 1900.... A stock 1900 does not come close to this Rebuild...:D

Nice photos.. those big Panasonic caps look just like the tiny dark blue ones with gold stripe that I installed in the Mc 2205 amp.. on several boards. They are physically smaller for their capacitance and voltage rating.

You can see them to the left-center in the often posted image below.

MC2205_Love_hot_cap.jpg

Yeah.. right up front where I can keep an eye on 'em. :D

-Gregory

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom