My rebuilt , fully restored Realistic Lab 500.

ive decided on the technics headshell and a nagoaka mp110 cart.

thanks for the info guys.

it is absolutely crazy that this table, made so long ago...stands toe to to with my platine verdier with the *stock* realistic hardware, and wipes the floor with my Sota/Kleos combo.

why didn't I go vintage TT long ago?
Right, it doesn't make sense.:saywhat::wtf::headscrat::dunno:

You must must must report back your experience/results with the cartridge/headshell change!

Now I'm thinking about a secondary cartridge/headshell setup.

Ben

will do brother!

one revision. instead of the nagoaka...

I went with the rather famous

ADC QLM MKIII which is low compliance and seems a perfect match...

Octavist...
Meant to ask, how's your lab-500 mat smell?

Out of pure curiosity...
Does your mat suffer from the "stank of death?"
this seems fairly common on these turntables.
I had to replace mine with another mat, as the smell was too awful...

Ben

Octavist...
Meant to ask, how's your lab-500 mat smell?

Out of pure curiosity...
Does your mat suffer from the "stank of death?"
this seems fairly common on these turntables.
I had to replace mine with another mat, as the smell was too awful...

Ben

mine was completely restored, so smells brand new!

Ok, so ive had some time listening to the ADC Cartridge, using Ken Willis universal protractor.

I have to say. .

this is a match made in heaven! everything sounds so incredible. I love it so much I went ahead and ordered another ADC Body.

If you get a chance to demo this cart (with standard technics 1/2 in headshell) by all means, do it.

this is the best vinyl replay i have ever had..... and ive had a platine verdier with koetsu cart, sota tables, rega, well tempered.....

it is THAT good. seriously best sounds ever.

get the ADC QLM cart if you have this table! you wont regret it! A lot of vinyl in my future!

I am big Pritchard Fan too ! I have all of his TOTL Phono Cartridges he is constructing, from the ADC10 up to the Sonus Dimension5. But this little QLM 30 with a spheric needle is the biggest sleeper he has built !

I hear it against Ortofons SPU's and you can think by yourself, who was the winner ?

Its a awesome full and rich, but detailed sound too. The Depth of Third Dimension and stage, is one of the best I ever heard. You miss nothing. Only thing you need is a heavy arm over 20gr.

BTW: This Realistic TT was built by Micro-Seiki ! Just have a look at the Solid 1 for the Arm, or the DD1 for the plate and knob design.....

www.lucky02.oyla.de

But this little QLM 30 with a spheric needle is the biggest sleeper he has built !

Its a awesome full and rich, but detailed sound too. The Depth of Third Dimension and stage, is one of the best I ever heard. You miss nothing. Only thing you need is a heavy arm over 20gr.

www.lucky02.oyla.de

oh right. obviously not - must have been thinking of a different range of cartridges.

anyway, what a beautiful, heavyweight looking deck - not so surprised by its performance going by those alone...

The optimum pressure for a QLM 30 Mark III is between 3-5grams.... What you think must then a optimum Armweight for it ?

http://new-hifi-classic.de/Gallery_MO/displayimage.php?pos=-22271

Yes it sounds good on lower weighted arms, but even bettter when you have the perfect match, like the old Lenco L75 arm.

If you get an old MKI you are correct. The cu is ~25/10Hz. But available as NOS are only the MKIII and the equal K8 Needles. So go for heavier arms with it......

Attachments

• QLM 30MKIII.jpg
    QLM 30MKIII.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 28
Just on a sidenote: Hi Lutz! Haunting AK now? ;)

Welcome & grinnings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Got the ADC QLM MKIII going good now..tweaked the tracking force to where it should be.

Uncle Johnny sounds great. :D

photo by teddyraybullardii, on Flickr

Hi, I just got one of these LAB 500 turntables.

How did you setup the overhang? Was it set at 49mm, 50.5mm or 52mm?

I am awful with the protractor so I use my digital caliper to set the overhang on all my turntables.

The recommended overhang is 14mm, but not having the original headshell nearby makes it hard for me to transpose that to a "back of headshell to needle" dimension. The stock cartridge is not adjustable in the shell.

It is supposed to be 50.0 mm from gasket to stylus tip. This will give an alignment similar to Stevenson.

Wade

Thanks Wade, I followed your suggestion and the 50mm overhang works great.

The turntable tracks the record perfectly and channel separation is amazing.

As a side not for anyone who wants to replace the stock headshell with something else, I installed today an old stock Radio Shack headshell part number # 42-2752A that I found at the flea market and installed a Audio-Technica Universal Cartridge AT311EP after doing this I calibrating the tracking force to 1.5 grams. In the back of the tone arm I screwed a metric screw without damaging the thread and added weight by adding sealed bearings to the screw, this allowed me to set the tracking force without having issues with the counterweight hitting the back cover.

Posting pictures for you all to get an idea of what I did.

20150623_204109_zpsj0vejqfc.jpg

20150623_204058_zpsimtd2chd.jpg

Thanks again all!

Back
Top Bottom