Jukeboxes, what do you think?

pingu_turbo

On a constant search...
I just wanted to gather other peoples opinions of jukeboxes. I mean proper 1950's floor standing units.

I have wanted one for years, particularly a wurlitzer 1015. I know that it won't be the best sounding thing, I think they are a good looking piece of furniture, albeit a little bulky, and maybe a bit of a fairground ride looking thing. I just like the lights / colours mixed with the bubbles. I think a classic part of musical history.

I would also love a vinyl one, but frankly I dont have the collection. I see that wurlitzer is remaking the 1015 in a cd version, so would probably be more practical. Especially for use with my young family, less likelihood of damage!

jkipodbig.jpg

I've always wanted a Seeburg Trashcan for playing 78s. Someday I'll have one. Who cares if it doesn't sound audiophile enough, just playing some 30s jazz through this would make me happy.

jukebox_trashcan.jpg

A 1015 is 40's not 50's.
I have a trashcan as well as a 1953 Rock-ola Comet, 1950 Rock-ola rocket, 1954 AMI F,
1958 Seeburg 222, 1959 wurlitzer 2300, 1954 seeburg Library, 1952 Seeburg 45 Library Console and a 1967 Seeburg HSC1 LP Console, oh and a 1972 Seeburg bandshell.

Great Fun.

I recommend them for those who have the skill level to maintain one yourself or with little help. Check with the operators in your area and see what make they operate on location, buy that make of jukebox. Easier to get parts that way and knowledgeable service advice. In my area, AMI-Rowe is dominant. Do not put mint or near mint collectable 45 singles in one, use VG copies or use reissues for play. Swirl marks will lower the grade of a 45 one or more grades.

I've got a rock-ola 468. It sounds pretty good, and holds 80 45's. I love it! Jukeboxes are awesome.

jukebox

I fixed an old Rock-Ola a few years ago.
Sounded fair for having 30 year old records and a worn stylus.

Paul

I have a Wurlitzer 1015 OMT 45 rpm vinyl jukebox. It is absolutely drop dead gorgeous. Mine is a reproduction. The ones from the 40's only played one side of the records or 25 songs, the repos play both sides, or 50 songs. The CD versions play a huge amount of songs, but in my opinion, they don't look as cool. I got mine for the coolness factor. Jukeboxes are not the best sounding systems in the world, but they are definitely cool, especially the 1015 with the changing colors, and bubbles going all the way around. When people come over, they don't want to hear my Mcintosh system, they want to hear the jukebox. Mine is pretty gentle on the records. I haven't had any problems. The problem with newer computerized jukeboxes is that if they break, nobody wants to work on them. You can find plenty of people that work on the older mechanical jukeboxes, but the modern jukeboxes with the solid state amps and computers, they dont want to touch, at least in my town. So keep that in mind when thinking of getting a jukebox. They are pretty reliable since they where made to take a lot of abuse.

Mine is loaded up with nothing but doo-wop songs from the 50's. A lot of the records are original records from the 50's, some of the records are reproductions from oldies.com. You can see a video of mine in action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_mNN7tZdv0 I don't have a game room, mine is in the living room, and it is the first thing you see when you walk in the front door. Did I mention it was cool? Oh, and heavy too, about 350 lbs. Here is a picture of mine:
132924941.jpg

i have a wurlitzer 1015 omt 45 rpm vinyl jukebox. It is absolutely drop dead gorgeous. Mine is a reproduction. The ones from the 40's only played one side of the records or 25 songs, the repos play both sides, or 50 songs. The cd versions play a huge amount of songs, but in my opinion, they don't look as cool. I got mine for the coolness factor. Jukeboxes are not the best sounding systems in the world, but they are definitely cool, especially the 1015 with the changing colors, and bubbles going all the way around. When people come over, they don't want to hear my mcintosh system, they want to hear the jukebox. Mine is pretty gentle on the records. I haven't had any problems. The problem with newer computerized jukeboxes is that if they break, nobody wants to work on them. You can find plenty of people that work on the older mechanical jukeboxes, but the modern jukeboxes with the solid state amps and computers, they dont want to touch, at least in my town. So keep that in mind when thinking of getting a jukebox. They are pretty reliable since they where made to take a lot of abuse.

Mine is loaded up with nothing but doo-wop songs from the 50's. A lot of the records are original records from the 50's, some of the records are reproductions from oldies.com. You can see a video of mine in action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_mnn7tzdv0 i don't have a game room, mine is in the living room, and it is the first thing you see when you walk in the front door. Did i mention it was cool? Oh, and heavy too, about 350 lbs. Here is a picture of mine:
132924941.jpg

The video details how your jukebox is simply...
BAD-ASS :ntwrthy:

Who was the guy here on AK that fixes them for a living? His posts were awesome... Ever since I saw the restored one on American Restoration I've wanted one...

To me they are a novelty item.Probably a pricy one if you want one of the really nice collectable ones.It falls into one of two categories,Listening to music at the best level you can or listening to music looking at a nice vintage playback system. Don't get me wrong I like those old Wurlitzers and similar jukeboxes but I look at them as pricy novelty items.

I agree they are a novelty item. But its the combination of the visual feast and the nostalgic sound that emits from them. I guess you would be best off listening to period stuff from when the 'box was made to get the full benefit.

Panotaker, your 'box is beautiful. That is exactly what I want. But as I said, I think the cd version would be best for me. I too don't have a games room, but I was going to put it in the play lounge, just off the main one for my daughter to enjoy as well as me.

My wife feels they are nice to look at but over priced. I guess it depends on how much you value that kind of thing.

Orthophonic, thank you for the correction. I see this particular 'box was from around the mid '40's.

If you are handy, you could connect other source to them, like a CD player or a turntable, pretty easily - if you like the sound of them.

I had a Rock-Ola 1494 "wallmount" for years and loved it. I have a huge collection of 45's, many of which are in less than perfect shape, perfect fuel for a jukebox. The juke wasn't exactly hi-fi but sounded fantastic with records of it's era. Had an EL-84 stereo tube amp to boot. I ultimately got tired of servicing and repairing it, but was able to sell it for many times what it cost me. I'd certainly pick up another if the right one came along! Here's a pic, (not mine) -

403.jpg

Nice video! I would only consider a jukebox that had a clear view of the record being played. The last decade of jukes had closed mechanisms that are just plain ugly....

I love the ones that you can see I agree, I remember as a kid when my Dad had a bar, we had a Seeburg, I remember looking between the song lists and the light and could see the mechanism working sort of like a type writer. the mechanism would go back and forth searching for the record. It was neat.

‘Back in the day’ I made my living working in the game industry. Pinballs, jukeboxes, antique slots.

I have a Wurlitzer 3400 and it sounds OK. I certainly am not going to give up my stereo for it! But it’s a nice addition for a game room, rec room, whatever.

The only problem is working on them. You had best know what you are doing before digging around in one and parts are getting very difficult to obtain. This is especially true of the old boxes that play 78’s. They are a special world unto their own.

Electronically/electrically they aren’t too bad. Mechanically they can be a real beast.

I had a Seeburg 100B made in 1951 I think it had 4 6V6 ppl 15" electromagnet speaker .
It was fun maint. issues aside . An origional that is restored today maybe not a 1015 but another model might be cheaper than a new 1015. Plenty of used CD models around.

Personaly I would prefer a restored vinyl model some of the Seeburgs and Wurlitzers were cool along with Rockola/Ami

I think the new 1015 vinyl model comes pre loaded with 50 records.

Record collections with title inserts are readily available
so you can choose your music and or roll your vinyl

78 and 45 rpm record sets are available.here
http://www.philajukebox45s.com/45_rpm_record_sets.htm
no affil.

45's also here
http://www.classic45s.com/
no affil.

Back
Top Bottom