Christmas Tree Train Layout....

That is EXCELLENT !

Are you SURE you don't do this professionally as a day job?

:tresbon:

That is EXCELLENT !

Are you SURE you don't do this professionally as a day job?

:tresbon:

Thank you and no. In fact, I haven't put this much effort into a train layout even though I had every intention to do so. With my grandson I now have an excuse to do it. So this type of detailed layout is my first but I used to spend a lot of time reading up on how to do it and have seen other N scale and HO layouts several years ago.

That's really nice. I like the choice of landscape. It reminds me of trips I used to take through the Sierra Nevada mountains.

My dad is really really into trains (Scale S-gauge, American Flyer, and O-Gauge.). He has an incredible collection that fills a large basement, with a huge layout in progress. It's really fun..been around model trains since I was a baby. I remember cutting railroad ties for the track, as it was laid like a real track with very small spikes. If I ever find a moment to get my tree up, I'm putting my pre-war Lionel set around it (with, thankfully, pre-made track).

You've made a lot of quick progress with this...keep us updated!

Beautiful work, Jesse. All the detail you've added to the layout really adds a lot of fun to the presentation. Cool!

Murray

Thank you, John. I appreciate that. I hope to install the layout with the Christmas tree by next weekend. I had a few N scale buildings I wanted to use but damn if I know where I put them. May have to just pick up a few this week. There is a hobby store devoted entirely to trains of all scales not far from my work. They have been around since 1974 and I haven't been there in a few years and so now I have a good reason to go.

These pics make me wish I still had my HO Layout.
I found the Atlas Track Layout book yesterday in a drawer in my workshop.
I wonder if that's a sign I am going to resurrect another hobby. Oh, man I can hear my wife now.

I can't believe how realistic it's all starting to look! Incredible. And gorgeous pics!

And even bokeh! :D

.....Jesse, I appreciate your never doing anything half-way, from photography to garage floors to taking care of your daughter and grandson....that's a great looking layout that will approach realism.....

I'm always amazed by the ability to make train landscaping look realistic. :thmbsp: I can do all the other work, but my artistic abilities are too limited to do the landscaping and have it look real. And the landscaping is what makes the layout. :yes: Nicely done. :tresbon:

I've got a stash of N stuff for a layout I had planned 30 yrs. ago and never got around to. :sigh: Too late for this year... again!. :yes:

i used to be into model trains...i never really built a layout but i had four engines and alot of cars. it was really fun but i ended up selling it all and moving on to other things. now you are making me want to get some again :D that is a great looking layout :thmbsp:

Jesse
What beautiful work you have done so far. I'm sure your grandson is really going to enjoy the train display. I think he would enjoy more, and remember longer, if he gets to help you with the set up and improvements in the following years. Tasks done together leave a lasting memory.
Great to see your fabulous artistic talent in action (as always)
KT

.....Jesse, I appreciate your never doing anything half-way, from photography to garage floors to taking care of your daughter and grandson....that's a great looking layout that will approach realism.....

Thanks Ronnie. It's been fun so far and a lot of work, too.

Jesse
What beautiful work you have done so far. I'm sure your grandson is really going to enjoy the train display. I think he would enjoy more, and remember longer, if he gets to help you with the set up and improvements in the following years. Tasks done together leave a lasting memory.
Great to see your fabulous artistic talent in action (as always)
KT

Thank you, KT. Hopefully it will be as you say. Good to hear from you and hope the holiday season is going well for you.

:thmbsp: I'm certainly going to do this once my daughter is a little older - otherwise it would be "Attack of the 50ft. Woman" all over again.

Great work, Jesse! 'Looking forward to more pictures as the project progresses.

It can get out of control. At my last count I had 19 engines, 250 rolling stock, and 70 turnouts on my layout...not to mention all the buildings, etc. My HO is all in storage when I left my house with a 22x24 foot space for the trains. A train could run for 10 minutes at moderate speed before it would be back at the starting point. It had 2 main lines with an interior point to point to serve many industries from oil refining to chemical plant to grain elevators, etc.. My friend and I used to run 100 car unit trains pulled by 4 engines on the main lines. Really something to see it snake along.

The layout was way to big for one person - bigger than a lot of train clubs.

I miss it, but will probably never have a spot to use it again. I suppose I should start selling this stuff off!

Almost Done!

Pics of train and the terrain I created, including a painted backdrop with a mountain scape and clouds. I still have to do the two background end panels that will also have some clouds painted in.

I should be ready to move the layout into the house and set it up with the Christmas tree on Sunday.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• train-terrain_1.jpg
    train-terrain_1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Terrain_2.jpg
    Terrain_2.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 23