Challenge for the modern fans - The best $1000 system.

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Modern gear always gets a bad rep for being too expensive. So, I was curious to know what all of AK's Modern Gear fans (yes, both of you :D), would put together if you had $1000 to spend.

Here are the rules:

Must be available new.

Must be still widely available - Not a discontinued piece or a B-Stock score.

Not a kit. Must be bought off the shelf (or through the mail) with a warranty. No DIY.
Must include at least 1 source, a pre-amp and amp in some form (i.e. Integrated, receiver, separates, what have you) and speakers. I don't consider a tuner to be a source. :)

Must include everything you need to get it up and running.

Must sound great! :)

Total price does not include taxes. It can be a street price vs list as long as you can back it up. (Sure my local store sells Leben for $499 ;)).

Ok smart guys. What have you got!

Last edited:
Wharfedale Diamond 10.1

9CC32_ad_small.jpg

NAD C316BEE & NAD C515BEE

NAD_C315_C515_2_590.jpg

Loom with Blue Jeans cables.

For the playback side, I'd make things simple with NHT SuperPower satellites ($398) and a B-12D sub ($699). List price for those would be $1097, but bought at once, they will sell the combo for $1000, probably throwing in a PVC.

I don't really know what to say about source, because I wouldn't shop for one. I mostly listen to streaming and files from a MacBook or iPhone. I'm open to better options, but I'm using a Logitech Wireless Speaker Adapter so that I can use Bluetooth rather than cables. That's $40.

So, I'm $40 over and disqualified. Still, that would be the direction I'd go.

Cheers,

Otto

For the playback side, I'd make things simple with NHT SuperPower satellites ($398) and a B-12D sub ($699). List price for those would be $1097, but bought at once, they will sell the combo for $1000, probably throwing in a PVC.

I don't really know what to say about source, because I wouldn't shop for one. I mostly listen to streaming and files from a MacBook or iPhone. I'm open to better options, but I'm using a Logitech Wireless Speaker Adapter so that I can use Bluetooth rather than cables. That's $40.

So, I'm $40 over and disqualified. Still, that would be the direction I'd go.

Cheers,

Otto

Cool option. Was wondering if someone would come up with powered speakers. I do believe they are the future of audio.

Can the amp be inside the speakers? ;)

I was impressed with the value of the bi-amped M-Audio powered monitors I had. Chip-amps, one each for the 8" woofer and 1" dome tweeter, active x-over.

Mine were the M-Audio BX8a's, which have been replaced with a newer model, around $500.
1352563472922.jpg

Just mate with a DAC and your existing PC.

31HaiRPjzFL.jpg

Cool option. Was wondering if someone would come up with powered speakers. I do believe they are the future of audio.

The reason I didn't was because I owned the Audioengine powered speakers and didn't care for them. I prefer to separate things out. That way you don't have to send it all in for service when something goes wrong.

The reason I didn't was because I owned the Audioengine powered speakers and didn't care for them. I prefer to separate things out. That way you don't have to send it all in for service when something goes wrong.

I have heard a number of powered speakers, including Dynaudio and Elac, and have enjoyed each one.

No right or wrong here. I'm curious to see what options are available. All have been interesting so far!

I'm curious about this stipulation. Kits have always been a player in the hi-fi world.

Because I have heard of kit stuff as being only for those with the skills or inclination to build it. 99% of all the gear discussed here has been new and ready to use in a box. I'm just trying to show what is available in the market today.

Maybe we need a $500 version of this thread for the DIY crew. :)

I have heard a number of powered speakers, including Dynaudio and Elac, and have enjoyed each one.

No right or wrong here. I'm curious to see what options are available. All have been interesting so far!

I'd guess that the Dyn's would be great and so too were the Paradigm active Studio 20's. One of the problems with lower cost ones is they start sacrificing in areas that concern me. All of the inexpensive powered monitors that I've listened to have a channel imbalance at low volumes...that's one little thing that drives me a bit nuts.

Ok, I'll play.

Yamaha A-S 500 Integrated $400

Yamaha CD-S300 CD Player $300

Polk TSi 300 (2) $145 ea.

Total $990

Topping TP-60 $210
Klipsch RB51 II (pair) $329
Onkyo C-7030 $187

Total = $726

Cables and stands from PE < $100

What's funny Eric, is that we fans of modern gear know the choices for a sub $1000 system are almost limitless. Gear from the well known brands like Yamaha, Onkyo, Polk, and Klipsch to others like Dalaudio, Schiit, Mordunt Short and PSB are available at rock bottom prices and very high quality. The headphone guys could really put together some outrageous systems for $1000. The peception remains among the die hard vintage guys that prices for modern audio gear puts it out of reach. How to change that I don't know and I'm sorry to say I really don't care anymore.

cubdog

Topping TP-60 $210
Klipsch RB51 II (pair) $329
Onkyo C-7030 $187

Total = $726

Cables and stands from PE < $100

You beat me to the Topping TP-60 as an amp. That would be a cool foundation for a sub 1K system.

What's funny Eric, is that we fans of modern gear know the choices for a sub $1000 system are almost limitless. Gear from the well known brands like Yamaha, Onkyo, Polk, and Klipsch to others like Dalaudio, Schiit, Mordunt Short and PSB are available at rock bottom prices and very high quality. The headphone guys could really put together some outrageous systems for $1000. The peception remains among the die hard vintage guys that prices for modern audio gear puts it out of reach. How to change that I don't know and I'm sorry to say I really don't care anymore.

cubdog

I think that threads like this help, don't you Cub.

Onkyo TX-8255 receiver $185.14

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AMSPQI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Onkyo C-7030 CD player $187.31

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UR487A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Pro-ject Debut Carbon 399.00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00856L1J0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&smid=A14FMGGKFTICNN

Infinity Primus P163 bookshelf speakers $85.83 each- need two

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045NCB32/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Total $943.11

Add some RCA cables and speaker wire from Monoprice and you've got a nice little system for a $1000 with TWO sources.

Back
Top Bottom