"Pimp my OTARI"

gustavoa

Hi guys !
Recently bought a OTARI MX-5050 BII it was in rough shape and could not bare see her like that, so I tried to bring her back to life. I tried some things I never done before and here she is !
Cleaned everything up, I am almost done with the lettering. The outside head block was bad, the paint was chipping away and the aluminum was like oxidized or something, lumps were forming under the paint, so I grind it then polished it and came out very nice, so did not paint it and left it like that. Painted the front panels and replaced the lettering using silk screening. Still need vu meter lamps and a new pinch roller. Cleaned and demagnetized the heads, adjusted the brakes and cleaned all the electronics. Working like a champ !!
What do you guys think ?
Like it ?

Attachments

• Otari Mx-5050 BII.jpg
    Otari Mx-5050 BII.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0059.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0050.jpg
    IMG_0050.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Very nice, but....where's the metallic green paint, spinner rim NAB hubs, and lowrider feet to rock the machine? :thmbsp: I really like those machines, a 5050BIII is next on my aquisition list.

Holy shiny head cover, batman! That looks amazing!

Love the head cover! If that finish dulls, you can always give it a couple (VERY LIGHT) sprays of Varathane poly.

You create your own artwork (lettering) on your computer, use the stensils the company sells, leave them in the sun for about a minute and the artwork gets transferred to the stencil then is a matter of apply paint. Search for ezscreenprint and watch the DIY videos.

Hi guys !
Recently bought a OTARI MX-5050 BII it was in rough shape and could not bare see her like that, so I tried to bring her back to life. I tried some things I never done before and here she is !
Cleaned everything up, I am almost done with the lettering. The outside head block was bad, the paint was chipping away and the aluminum was like oxidized or something, lumps were forming under the paint, so I grind it then polished it and came out very nice, so did not paint it and left it like that. Painted the front panels and replaced the lettering using silk screening.

Great work mate !. I too am interested in this silk screen process. Thanks for the info

Last edited:
Sure... go to ezscreenprint.com, they have DIY videos. I can tell you it takes a lot of experimenting with different paints until you find the right one. But it can be done. First watch the DIY's.

You create your own artwork (lettering) on your computer, use the stensils the company sells, leave them in the sun for about a minute and the artwork gets transferred to the stencil then is a matter of apply paint. Search for ezscreenprint and watch the DIY videos.

Thanks for the silkscreening info. My Otari came with worn lettering on transport controls as well. I'll have to try this. You have a very nice deck, now.

Gosh, and I was expecting to seem some candy-apple red thing with Celtic designs all over it.! (Yuck!)

Seriously though: Great job! I really like the new look. Perhaps I'll have to do that with my Otaris too.

I've got a hammered BIII I thought about painting purple and gold..... :yikes:

I figure It'll fetch 14k after. :D

But all fun aside, I DO have one scratched up BIII to re-do. It's the lettering that has kept me from doing it in the past.

Thank you guys...
jejeje I thought the head block was too much so I lowered the "shine".
Anyway what I am looking for is to replace the lettering and make it look as stock as possible. It's my first time trying the silk screening technique, next time I'll do better. The black paint was applied by a friend of mine who has a car body shop. I have no way of powder painting it. But what is coming soon are real wood side panels... I'm a sucker for wood !

Attachments

• IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 73
  • OTR.jpg
    OTR.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
On another note: It needs a new pinch roller badly. I'm between go with Terry's ($80) or this one ($75). Anyone has experience with the non-Terry pinch roller ?

Attachments

• Pinch Roller.jpg
    Pinch Roller.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 31
For those of you who want to try the silkscreen process here is the artwork I created. Fell free to do whatever you want with it to make it better. If you do please publish again so we all can benefit from it. If the image is bad quality and you want a copy of the original PM me with your e-mail and I'll send you the original jpg.

Attachments

• Otari controls 3.jpg
    Otari controls 3.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 124
On another note: It needs a new pinch roller badly. I'm between go with Terry's ($80) or this one ($75). Anyone has experience with the non-Terry pinch roller ?

I'd go with Terry because you want to keep it rubber. And he does awesome work! We should all support him to keep doing this work. :thmbsp:

BTW, to have your original rebuilt is $35 plus $5 shipping. Not $80. That's for a NEW one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom