Solved! Denon DCD-1500 II disc not reading

I had the exact same problem many years ago. Tray load belt and worn felt clamp. I would be careful about what material is used for the clamp: if it could potentially "stick" to the disk then the disk may not stay in the tray during ejection and could get damaged/jammed in the system. I would keep the replacement to some form of felt since that is much less likely to stick regardless of cd cleanliness, humidity, ...
Unfortunately the belt replacement I found locally was a little bit thinner and did not last too long. I have seen many sites where the responses are almost always "replace the laser mechanism" instead of "check the mechanicals first"! Good thing we all have investigated and found the "real" cause. The initial sound of the disk slipping is a good key.

Appreciate this thread. Glad to know it is only a maintenance issue and worn piece than a laser going out. Love this series of Denon players a lot, some of my favorite early era CD players.

Too late for me! I tossed mine 2 weeks ago. Even if I could get the door open, it only played 3/4 of my disc's. I got tired of screwing with it. Too bad, when operating correctly the 1500II is one of the better vintage players out there. Since I use a better outboard DAC however I find my recent Denon 1920 SACD/DVD Universal Player does a fine job too.

Funny thing is you would think in 17 years Denon's CD playback tecnology including the upsampling in the 1920 would have left the old 1500II eating dust...nice try. That 1920, dispite being 17 years newer was hardpressed to keep up to the 1500II using the onboard DAC's.

Last edited:
Bought a DCD-1500II a couple of days ago that was listed as not working. Turns out it was the felt washer problem detailed above. Here's a simple but elegant solution. Strip the old washer off and clean the clamp with isopropyl alcohol. Stick on three self-adhesive furniture bumpers to the clamp arm (the smallest, flattest ones you can find). Worked perfectly first time. Cost less than $1 and took about 5 minutes (that's got to be one of the easiest CD player arms to work on).

Attachments

• denon clamp.jpg
    denon clamp.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Does anyone have an English DCD-1500II service manual? (I've got a German one if anyone could use one.) I've replaced the upper belt in my player, but I'm not sure how to access the lower one.

bottom belt

You need to remove the front face plate. Then you will below the tray. Be careful when removing the faceplate. There are 6 or so locking pins that you have to pry just enough to release. Pry too much and you will break them. I broke a few over the past 6 years. But then, I replaced belts over a few hundred times!!!

I clicked on this thread because I too have a Denon DCD-1500 MKII CD player.
But I'm certainly not using it anymore; it's in the basement gathering dust for many many years now (I don't throw it because I don't want anyone finding it and hell at the same time).

First; the tray doesn't close properly.
Two; you have to push it manually each time.
Three; cannot read 90% of all discs.
Four; CD-Rs, forget it.
Five; the disc clamp is broken (broke within a year of purchase, back in 1987).
Six; the sound quality (when it was working) doesn't even compare with today's CD players that you can get for $100 or so (I paid $800 Cdn for my 1500 MKII back then).
Seven; I removed the top cover, a long time ago, and I saw that disc clamp broken with a small piece of plastic now missing.
Eight; it was very frustrating time, and for a very long time.
Nine; I have several other DEnon Universal DVD players; and 90% of them are not reading my discs.
Ten; never anymore, I am done forever with Denon.

You guys can fix it, good, but you can't make it sound better. There are much better options out there and they won't cost anymore, plus it'll save you a great deal of aggravation.

Denon has a good reputation (generally), but they have a lot of issues as well.

Conclusion; for me my Denon DCD-1500 MKII (as well the majority of all my other Denon players) are totally unnaceptable as reliable disc players: Crap!

This is my personal opinion based on my personal experience with roughly a dozen Denon players. And not only that, but many people like me had all type of issues regarding their transports, disc trays, laser lenses, and disc clamps.
Reliability is not Denon's forte.

Last edited:
Going to try the new washer trick but....

my clamp already has a metal washer there...shall I try adding on a small nubber or something? See the pics...

Attachments

• 2014_03100004.jpg
    2014_03100004.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 276
  • 2014_03100010.jpg
    2014_03100010.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 255
May have found the issue to at least one of the units, one of the flanges is missing that holds that white plastic thingie (techie term I know)..see pics..so I now need a clamp from someone...the missing flange is on the top of the lst pic and on the right in the 2nd pic...

Attachments

• 2014_03110002.jpg
    2014_03110002.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 198
  • 2014_03110004.jpg
    2014_03110004.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 193
Whoo hoo! Got both units fixed :) One with a clamp from a donor unit and one by just replacing the clamp with the other unit I had which was having problems. So now I have two good 1500II's that play cdr's just fine. I be happy:D:banana::thmbsp:

I am very happy that it has worked for you. I am still scratching my head and puzzled as to why this is working. Maybe I should have kept that arm for me!!!

I have the exact same issue with my player; the disc clamp is broken, missing a flange holder.
But also the disc tray is badly affected (won't open and close properly) by a rotten motor (I guess).

Anyway, even if it would work I still find the Denon DCD-1500MKII player's sound anemic, congested, restricted, reserved, unclear, lacking in all aspects of naturalism, musicality, definition, and overall involvement. ...1987 wasn't a good year for CD players, including this one.
And the entire disc transport is simply pathetic (wrong spring tension, loose belt, burning plastic, etc.)

Today you can get a much better CD player for almost nothing. ...Or a turntable (for less money) that plays LPs with much more life. The Denon's sound I find it dead. ;)

Glad you now got two operational players. Enjoy them for what they truly are. :)
And no matter how you cut it, compare its sound with another much cheaper and not so old player for a reality check.

What's the use to have a tank if it doesn't travel fast enough, and doesn't focus on its target with accuracy (wrong caliber shells). :D

Last edited:
Eh, all of us have our own opinions and are entitled to them :D I just know that it sounds great with either my modded MSB DAC or my Keces and that's what counts...

Back
Top Bottom