Welcome to the British Audio Forum!

Whenever I hit Barnes & Noble, I always try to find a copy of Hi-Fi Choice to see the latest in UK stereo. Last I knew, they're still big on 2-channel music systems compared to home theatre/cinema here in the States - good to see.
I haven't owned much British gear in my life. Just a Garrard AT60 TT after high school, and my present KEFs. I can't believe I've owned them for 17 years already.
Tom

This past weekend I added a mint Linn Majik CD player to my system (McIntosh and Vandersteens). All I can say is WOW! Night and day performance from my previous CD player. Good stuff.

OK, I will start with the photos.

KEF Cantor, White Piano finnish.

KEF6-1.jpg

Biggest mistake of my life was buying as a 1st system a QUAD II pair with the 22 preamp and the matching tube tuner. Drove me into the craziness of gotta have, gotta have; that downward spiral to audiophilia hades. 2nd biggest mistakes was selling them.

Had a set of Wharfedale W70Ds that I and later my brother used for years with a Marantz 19, a near perfect pairing. Currently in my inventory placed tied for 2nd place are my W70s. As I downsize, my Symphonys will be going and I suspect the W70s will push out the competing Bozak 302a that it is tied with. The W70s open up at slightly lower listening levels and physically smaller than the 302s. Size as part of my future matters.

Over the decades have had a number of British pieces and their design simplicity and size both that work against them generally in the N.A. market for me have been a plus. Sadly, I've also found Lucas is not unique in making somewhat unreliable British electrics. I especially liked the Ferrograph r2r and SME arms and the Garrard 301/401 I rank as about as good a pair of tables as any company produced. Even with minimal work today, they can go head to head with many of the sanely priced competition today.

I am a die hard e'stat fan but never owned the QUADs. Seemed to prefer the Janszen design better and later Martin Logan full range. Am interested in audition the 12s as there seems to be some universal agreement they are rather good. One speaker I've heard briefly that I immediately knew was something of desire is the Tannoy Churchill. Last time I had an almost immediate.similar.love affair with a speaker after almost no listening time was my 1st listen to KLH Nines that became my main speakers for more than 30 years. Even my Symphonys took more than 8 hours of auditioning before deciding on them.

I am partial to British cars, having had MGs, Nash Metropolitan (British mfg'd based on partnershkp with Nash), Volvo P 1800 ('66 with the British Press Steel body) and Jaguar. Love the Rover TC2000, TC3500, Triumph (can not think of any model I do not like), especially the Herald convertible. As for cars, starting the classic XJ-6, hearing its wonderfully unique windup makes owning it worth any headaches. Closest thing to is is the Spitfire airplane. I have not heard the newer v-8 but if it does not have the same sound, it is a BIG loss of the Jag identity.

My favorite photo light meter, a S.E.I. Photometer. Typically unique British interpretation of how something should work. Takes time to figure it out but it was the primary meter of Ansel Adams, I figured it was worth the effort. Best light measuring device I have ever had. Currently, preparing it along with part of my camera collection to donate to a museum. Mine still has the original bulb that is working.

Raymond E.Cooke use to be the techniclal director for Wharfedale.
Oh that was before he founded KEF.

I have two Ferguson receivers, 3482 and 3930. Very sturdy built, both with fine woodcase with wood veneer, no vinyl.

Anyway - I am not quite sure if they are at least japanese... :scratch2:

I think I may have a few (dozen) things that would qualify me as a member here.

I assume all of our UK and HK members should have honorary membership? Probably the same for most of our Canadian members, especially those with IMF connections.

Cheers! Just don't ask me to drive on the left side of the road.

Attachments

• Euro Listening room 001.jpg
    Euro Listening room 001.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 54
Biggest mistake of my life was buying as a 1st system a QUAD II pair with the 22 preamp and the matching tube tuner. Drove me into the craziness of gotta have, gotta have; that downward spiral to audiophilia hades. 2nd biggest mistakes was selling them.

Had a set of Wharfedale W70Ds that I and later my brother used for years with a Marantz 19, a near perfect pairing. Currently in my inventory placed tied for 2nd place are my W70s. As I downsize, my Symphonys will be going and I suspect the W70s will push out the competing Bozak 302a that it is tied with. The W70s open up at slightly lower listening levels and physically smaller than the 302s. Size as part of my future matters.

Over the decades have had a number of British pieces and their design simplicity and size both that work against them generally in the N.A. market for me have been a plus. Sadly, I've also found Lucas is not unique in making somewhat unreliable British electrics. I especially liked the Ferrograph r2r and SME arms and the Garrard 301/401 I rank as about as good a pair of tables as any company produced. Even with minimal work today, they can go head to head with many of the sanely priced competition today.

I am a die hard e'stat fan but never owned the QUADs. Seemed to prefer the Janszen design better and later Martin Logan full range. Am interested in audition the 12s as there seems to be some universal agreement they are rather good. One speaker I've heard briefly that I immediately knew was something of desire is the Tannoy Churchill. Last time I had an almost immediate.similar.love affair with a speaker after almost no listening time was my 1st listen to KLH Nines that became my main speakers for more than 30 years. Even my Symphonys took more than 8 hours of auditioning before deciding on them.

I am partial to British cars, having had MGs, Nash Metropolitan (British mfg'd based on partnershkp with Nash), Volvo P 1800 ('66 with the British Press Steel body) and Jaguar. Love the Rover TC2000, TC3500, Triumph (can not think of any model I do not like), especially the Herald convertible. As for cars, starting the classic XJ-6, hearing its wonderfully unique windup makes owning it worth any headaches. Closest thing to is is the Spitfire airplane. I have not heard the newer v-8 but if it does not have the same sound, it is a BIG loss of the Jag identity.

My favorite photo light meter, a S.E.I. Photometer. Typically unique British interpretation of how something should work. Takes time to figure it out but it was the primary meter of Ansel Adams, I figured it was worth the effort. Best light measuring device I have ever had. Currently, preparing it along with part of my camera collection to donate to a museum. Mine still has the original bulb that is working.

Write a book, Bri! [not just based on this particular post :thmbsp:]

I have KEF Concertos, Chorale IIIs, Goodmans Magnum Ks; and Monitor Audio Silver RS6s :banana:

Cheers, og

Are you related to Sid by any chance, Olsonjr?

As for writing a book, I could not think of anything to say. Actually, at 1 time I thought about doing so related to my experiences in the audio world as I was lucky to have entered as a really young kid and lived in New England connected in some way to many of the revered pioneers. Sadly, none of their smarts rubbed off on me.

Are you related to Sid by any chance, Olsonjr?

As for writing a book, I could not think of anything to say. Actually, at 1 time I thought about doing so related to my experiences in the audio world as I was lucky to have entered as a really young kid and lived in New England connected in some way to many of the revered pioneers. Sadly, none of their smarts rubbed off on me.

Yeah right! I've noted many of your posts that make for a good read.

Cheers, og

Last edited:
Mordaunt-Short MS30i's are floating around at my house and I sold my Mordaunt Short performance 860s a few years back. I like British speakers!

My NAD components and Epos speakers gives my music a brilliant sound....I enjoy it very much!!

C356BEE Integrated Amp
C545BEE CDP
PP375 Phono-pre MDC module
Epos Epic 2

Two sets of Bowers & Wilkins speakers and, more importantly, I read MOJO.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Trainspotting.jpg
    Trainspotting.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Ok guys....I guess I'm in. Relatively new AK member, but bought a pair of used Tannoy C-88's recently. Really nice, though still playing with placement. Emailed Tannoy but got no response. Guess maybe they're not concerned with the secondary market's questions.
There was a member who posted a pic of his C-88's, but his tweeters were on top where mine are in the middle of the woofers. Not sure if that makes much difference, especially positioning.

Mordaunt-Short MS30i's are floating around at my house and I sold my Mordaunt Short performance 860s a few years back. I like British speakers!

As the other Mordaunt fan(there are only two of us, right?) I'm with you. One question, if one of us starts a Mordaunt thread here, will it be forgotten just as quick as in the speaker forum?:D

In all seriousness, good idea for a forum.:thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom