Quad Electronics (The brand, not Quadraphonic)- Any fans?

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've long been a fan of Quad speakers. I think the ESL's are the finest sounding speakers I have ever heard. However, I really know nothing about Quads electronic gear over the years. I know it was held in high regards in Britain, but I just never saw that much of it over here.

Any fans of the old Quad amps or preamps? Any particular gems or dogs?

I was thinking of pulling the trigger on a Sansui 6500 I think it was a few months back. What I liked was the idea of having two separate outputs playing at the same time from one unit. I also curious to hear what it sounded like. I have 4 A25's I could drive with it. Still might get it.

LOL. I think we are talking about two different things. I am talking about Quad, the audio manufacturer, not Quadraphonic gear.

so they're called Quad and do not make any quadraphonic gear? They might want to change the name.:D

The only Quad electronics I have heard was a 606 amp I was auditioning at home but didn't buy. It was nice but nothing great. I'd be curious to hear more examples. I love the unique look of a lot of their gear.

I heard one of their solid state pre-power offerings (303 perhaps?) a few years back and was very impressed by the dynamic presentation. I've yet to hear the ESL's. I'm almost afraid to...

fota.php

http://www.highfidelity.pl/@main-148&lang=en

The only Quad electronics I have heard was a 606 amp I was auditioning at home but didn't buy. It was nice but nothing great. I'd be curious to hear more examples. I love the unique look of a lot of their gear.

Interesting. What did you hear? That's apparently the amp Spendor used when designing the SP-1/2e's.
Was the one you heard the original or Mk 2?

I think it was the original but don't quote me. It was borrowed when I bought my Quad 63s but I ended up liking my Levinson 432 on them better, followed by my Luxman M12. It seemed too dark and laid back for my taste. I didn't have it long, maybe 2 weeks, much of that spent sidelined. I also played it with my Diatones.

Always liked it. Still regret selling a 33/405 combo years ago, but I have a Garrard TT/Quad QCII/Quad II mono set up around here somewhere with original boxes and paperwork, purchased in Hong Kong in 1957 by a USN carrier pilot on leave.....

I think it was the original but don't quote me. It was borrowed when I bought my Quad 63s but I ended up liking my Levinson 432 on them better, followed by my Luxman M12. It seemed too dark and laid back for my taste. I didn't have it long, maybe 2 weeks, much of that spent sidelined. I also played it with my Diatones.

Hmmm. Doesn't sound like what the reviewers say it should be like, but then again, all bets are off when you are dealing with gear more than a quarter century old.

I have 5 Quad II mono amps to drive my Levinson HQDs- sans the H- no Hartleys yet :D. Just need one more Quad II as well. I will use a Quad 22 I have as the pre but I also have 4 or 5 (can't recall off hand) Acoustical (Quad) QCII mono pres which would give independent volume control for each channel. It's all a work in progress. Pretty much been working towards this system my whole time chasing audio.

Wow. That's dedication. You have to throw some pics up when get a chance. Seems like it would be incredible!

Back
Top Bottom