The Spendor Thread..

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hey fellow Spendor fans. I just wanted to put a thread together to discuss Spendor speakers, amp matching, stands, wires, etc. Anything to make our beloved Spendors sound the best. And just show them off too! :)

Review for Spendor's new S3/5R2 loudspeaker ($1595/pair):

http://www.stereophile.com/content/spendor-s35rsup2sup-loudspeaker

313spen.promo_.jpg

Great under-the-radar speakers for music lovers.
They're available used, have subtle qualities like a British sense of humor, are almost always overlooked, and stand the test of time.

Everything else that's come in here seems to cycle back out and the Spendors stay.
The only Spendors that have moved out after coming in are a pair of S20s and a pair of BC-1s.
The BC-1s:
attachment.php

Their replacements, the A9s:
attachment.php

Last edited:
Have some Spendor LS3/5a's, well built, always wanted to try a pair of BC1's but they don't appear often in the US.

Spendor A6's Settling In....For Life

Anyone who has Spendors has the same feeling for them it seems. I've never had any speakers this wonderful. I think I've made the comment before, but every time I think they could use a little more low end, the musical presentation, the timbre of individual instruments of everything but the very deepest bass gets me involved and shaking my head in amazement. I love these speakers. I've not heard the other models but most are in agreement on the emotional involvement created by these loudspeakers.
I've finally gotten the placement just about right and almost have the listening space cleaned up enough to update the room pics but couldn't pass up posting a few of the speakers and system.
BTW, the Alpha Core Goertz speaker cables seemed to bring extra PRaT to the party while not impacting the magic of the A6.

Not saying nothing, just saying. :music:

DSC_0025 (1024x680).jpg

DSC_0026 (1024x680).jpg

DSC_0027 (1024x680).jpg

DSC_0028 (680x1024).jpg

DSC_0029 (1024x680).jpg

Audiodon:

Could you tell us more about those cool-ass wooden stands under the BC1s? I've seen them in other pictures and would love to know who makes them. Right now my SP1s are resting on a pair of empty, backless Lafayette "elliptoflex" speaker boxes - which are the right hight, more or less, but not much for looks.... :D

Also, this is a great thread.

Great under-the-radar speakers for music lovers.
They're available used, have subtle qualities like a British sense of humor, are almost always overlooked, and stand the test of time.

Everything else that's come in here seems to cycle back out and the Spendors stay.
The only Spendors that have moved out after coming in are a pair of S20s and a pair of BC-1s.
The BC-1s:
attachment.php

Their replacements, the A9s:
attachment.php

Love my sp2/2 in walnut from '89

performed dot4 treatment to the surrounds and changed foam around the scanspeak tweeter

bi wired to ma230 mcintosh 30w per channel

18" leadfiled stands

Love my sp2/2 in walnut from '89

performed dot4 treatment to the surrounds and changed foam around the scanspeak tweeter

bi wired to ma230 mcintosh 30w per channel

18" leadfiled stands

Thanks for the great info. Dot 4 is a popular accessory for spendor owners. :)

Some older Spendors can suffer from the driver rubber surrounds stiffening. These are mostly the 6.5 inch drivers from what I understand. The Dot 4 fluid is used to soften them up again. I'll post more as I get more info.

Anyone have references for this DOT 4 application - what type of surrounds and which speakers are these used on?

I have been using it on Dalesford and Audax PVC surrounds as well as butyl rubber surrounds on my Gefco sourced drivers.

Most of the Gefco drivers had foam rubber not butyl rubber so don't apply it to those.

I use a cotton swab to apply the DOT 4 very carefully and a tissue.

A local driver reconer Bill of Millersound told me about using it many years ago.

The PVC surrounds on my oem Fried Dalesford units made back in 1981 are in excellent condition.

The speaker stands arrived here as a lucky accident and are not manufactured for sale.

They were made by AK'er Furnitureguy. He sold the speakers he made them for and put a request to trade them for a Sony SACD player that I happened to have, so we traded.
They also just happened to fit the 2-foot square box style of the BC1s, SP1s, and the various flavors of SP1/2s.

Never seen a triple post before..... ;-)

Spendor looks to be mighty nice; doubt there are many here in Ioway....

Matt

My SA1's have more pace, play louder and have less dynamic compression than Harbeth's lauded P3, they are definite keepers.

Back
Top Bottom