KEF 104/2 - The speaker gods have spoken

baco99

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I think my search is finally over. I have found the perfect speaker.
These are keepers.
Pictures to come soon.
$100.
Fully functioning. Rubber surrounds.
Only the donuts need replacing.

DQ-10s and 104/2s in the same week.

I. Am. Stoked.

smiling-happy-face-smiley-emoticon.jpg

Very nice! I love my 104/2s. They're a very easy speaker to listen to. And you have to love the cosmetics, they look ready to jam!

I'm in the middle of restoring mine, so if you need any pointers feel free to ask.

Enjoy! Oh and of course, I'd like to see some pics :yes:

Very nice! I love my 104/2s. They're a very easy speaker to listen to. And you have to love the cosmetics, they look ready to jam!

I'm in the middle of restoring mine, so if you need any pointers feel free to ask.

Enjoy! Oh and of course, I'd like to see some pics :yes:

Yup!
Been following that, among others

Nice find, one of my favorites, I have a pair in the original boxes out in California that I need to get.

hooked them up and listened to some music from my phone piped through the TRM-1200. all i can say is WOW. these are the speakers i have been waiting for. the low end is incredibly strong without being boomy. so controlled. and the mid/high end is fatigue-free yet crisp. what an amazing balance!

all this and the woofer donuts are failing and they probably need a recap.

i hadn't before experienced speakers that sound perfect to my ears from the first fews seconds of listening.

the cabinets need a little work, but really not much. Some scratches, some deeper than others. The grill cloth is shot with a hole on one side, but that's an easy fix. and the wire terminals are these big hefty brass knobs that don't look original, but they function well.

also they have all 8 feet!

no water damage.

and so far the tweeters sound very good. no ferrofluid issues???

bringing them upstairs tomorrow to try them on the DBX (and maybe A/B them against the C40s to see if there are any similar family traits). pictures then...

hooked them up and listened to some music from my phone piped through the TRM-1200. all i can say is WOW. these are the speakers i have been waiting for. the low end is incredibly strong without being boomy. so controlled. and the mid/high end is fatigue-free yet crisp. what an amazing balance!

all this and the woofer donuts are failing and they probably need a recap.

i hadn't before experienced speakers that sound perfect to my ears from the first fews seconds of listening.

the cabinets need a little work, but really not much. Some scratches, some deeper than others. The grill cloth is shot with a hole on one side, but that's an easy fix. and the wire terminals are these big hefty brass knobs that don't look original, but they function well.

also they have all 8 feet!

no water damage.

and so far the tweeters sound very good. no ferrofluid issues???

bringing them upstairs tomorrow to try them on the DBX (and maybe A/B them against the C40s to see if there are any similar family traits). pictures then...

That's great to hear. Yours are the single wire version I'm assuming?

All T33's by this point will have ferro fluid that's compromising the HF. I always thought it sounded good before myself, but the tweeters "woke up" with the fluid removed. The issue with that is they don't have as high power handling capability. I'm not sure if it affects the sound though.

My sentiments are definitely like yours that they have great sound in unrestored shape. I can only imagine what they will sound like restored.

for those without imagination:
Serial #s 25705 A and B

8637762518_87a38ce531_c.jpg

8636641723_cdb5b3bc73_c.jpg

8637750874_9d21c54baa_c.jpg

8636642211_d0e075513c_c.jpg

8637749382_04d5f1df71_c.jpg

8636645039_12d93680be_c.jpg

8637752400_40c7cb7d5a_c.jpg

:music:

Now to find the elusive KUBE!!

(as a point of reference, when these were new (and i was 10) i was using a Lloyd's "all-in-one" receiver/cassette and record player with a pair of Sansui S45U towers. we've come a long way, baby!)

Last edited:
I saw a pair of those in all black in a thrift store in Atlanta yesterday. They were asking about $150 for them though. I don't know if they work or not as I didn't have time to test them nor the space for them in my car.

What does single wire version mean?

It means they don't have the Bi-Amp/Bi-Wire capability... i.e.; no seperate binding posts for the bass and mid/tweets.

I believe those are refered to as the "Raymond Cooke Series".

I saw a pair of those in all black in a thrift store in Atlanta yesterday. They were asking about $150 for them though...

$150 is a scroe, although the "Black Ash" versions in the R104/2 and the R107's seem to get diss-ed a bit. I think folks realize the quality of the veneers that are on the Walnut versions of the R104. Not sure if they made the R104/2 in Rosewood, but those usually get a premium on the R107 side. The R107 was available in only Black Ash, Walnut or Rosewood (maybe Teak in the R107/2). And not sure but I think the R105's were either "Black Ash" or "Walnut"... no Rosewood either?

EDIT: From the Museum the R105 was... Walnut, Teak, Rosewood and Black Ash veneers

Last edited:
I saw a pair of those in all black in a thrift store in Atlanta yesterday. They were asking about $150 for them though. I don't know if they work or not as I didn't have time to test them nor the space for them in my car.

stop posting here and go get those.
Offer $100 (like i did) and walk out with a sh_t eating grin.

Last edited:
stop posting here and go get those.
Offer $100 (like i did) and walk out with a sh_t eating grin.

I would have picked them up but 1) due to the nature of my work i'm between locations at the moment and really don't have the space for them. and 2) I already have too much stuff and not enough room for it all.

Plus I was emailing with another AK'er who seems to be interested in them so I figure it's best that he get them.

I went and got the pair today. I'd like to thank GeekFX for the hookup. Hopefully he will get some awesome speaker karma in return. I'm not sure if the midranges are still good they don't seem to have much travel but I know that's common for kef drivers.

I went and got the pair today. I'd like to thank GeekFX for the hookup. Hopefully he will get some awesome speaker karma in return. I'm not sure if the midranges are still good they don't seem to have much travel but I know that's common for kef drivers.

Nice!

The mids move surprisingly little considering how low they go. But damn they sound good

Back
Top Bottom