Infinity RS 4000 3 ways for cheapo- any people run these?

thedelihaus

Nocturnal transmissions
Should i do it? Owned by a little old lady (honest!). Offered for $30. If they are still available...

Looking for a mini review on them, and any specs, and if they're any good.

thanky!

Some specs

RS 4000

Introduced: 1988
Dimensions: 57 x 32 x 25 cm
Bass: 1 x 20 cm
Mids: 1 x Polycone
Highs: 1 x EMIT
Suggested for amplifiers with: 25-125 Watts per channel
Frequency range: 45 Hz - 45 kHz
Crossover frequencies: 800 Hz, 3500 Hz
Suggested price (pair): $ 470

- JP

I'm going to try to grab these. Offered for $30. It's days like this I especially wish I didn't have a broken back and could drive right over!

The pics they look near-mint. Wowza.

I'll keep you posted...

Attachments

• U21fgxjgJjpUSOVcGYpV8CiLbUSF.jpg
    U21fgxjgJjpUSOVcGYpV8CiLbUSF.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:
EchoWars said:
Your basic Best-Buy boom-boxes. $30 is a more than fair price, just don't expect sonic Nirvana.

One of these days we may need to see if we could tweak your pair :scratch2:

agreed. I refoamed a pair for a member here (blinddog). The highs were fine with the emits, but they were boomy, and slightly lacking in the mids.

I thought with the EMIT tweeters they'd be much better than what you're saying. I was going to get 'em, play a while, and then offer 'em up to an AKer.

With the suggested price of $470 JP posted, and like I said, equipped with EMITs, I'm suprized, but not doubtful of your claims.

Maybe better to leave alone after all, might not be worth the trip...

Thanks for the heads-up, my friends.

The suggested price was original retail, not current going price. $30 is a good price for a pair of those EMITs, so just figure you're getting the rest of the speaker system for free. It might be possible to modify them with more stuffing and some bracing to cure the boominess and clean up the bass. As to the mids, those polycone mids aren't half bad and have a fairly flat response, so they might sound depressed compared to speakers with a midrange peak and thus more forward sound.

- JP

Well I might get 'em to see what the EMITs are all about. If I don't like 'em, I'll be sure to be able to get my money back.

I'd rather they be some EPIs or Advents or the like, but heck, either an appreciative AKer may want 'em or a rabid eBayer.

Army said:
One of these days we may need to see if we could tweak your pair :scratch2:
I'm sure they could benefit from a crossover rebuild, but I'm not sure if the gains might outweigh the effort. They are what they are, and fit nicely into the niche I have for them as test speakers for incoming and outgoing gear.

EchoWars said:
I'm sure they could benefit from a crossover rebuild, but I'm not sure if the gains might outweigh the effort. They are what they are, and fit nicely into the niche I have for them as test speakers for incoming and outgoing gear.

I was thinking maybe sometime later this summer trading test speakers, it'd be an interesting project to see if I could reinforce them with some 3/4" dowels and some more stuffing. Too see how much better I could get the low end to sound. Your too busy with more important work, so I'd take it on as pet project just for kicks :)

Well, they're already all bass. Mushy-mids, and uninspired highs complete the package. I've thought of adding a Variovent to reduce the box 'Q' and take the boominess out, which might allow the rest of the spectrum to seem more balanced.

EchoWars said:
Well, they're already all bass. Mushy-mids, and uninspired highs complete the package. I've thought of adding a Variovent to reduce the box 'Q' and take the boominess out, which might allow the rest of the spectrum to seem more balanced.

Just a note of caution before you make that mod:

chainsaw.jpg

Wow, you guys are either audio connoisseurs or audio snobs, I can't decide which. My pair of RS4000s, after proper positioning and tune, sound great. Of course my room has been acoustially treated to where I my room's frequency response is relatively flat (at least according to REW frequency analyser)... and I've got my HSU sub crossed over at 80Hz. Great bass response, not loose at all... boomy bass is most often the result of bad room acoustical reflections. $30 is a ridicously low price for a pair of RS4000s... the EMITs alone would have fetched $30 or more on eBay... I definitely wouldn't have waited to get anyone's opinions on any forum, in my estimation, that was quite the deal, too bad you balked and didn't recognize it in time.

If you get tired of them ??

I was thinking maybe sometime later this summer trading test speakers, it'd be an interesting project to see if I could reinforce them with some 3/4" dowels and some more stuffing. Too see how much better I could get the low end to sound. Your too busy with more important work, so I'd take it on as pet project just for kicks :)

I'd like to try a set of RS4000's. Been looking for some, but they don't come up locally very often. I have a set of hot rodded 3000's so I would like to get into same with some 4000's so I can see where the EMITs take me? Let me know if you finally get tired of them? :yes:

Your basic Best-Buy boom-boxes. $30 is a more than fair price, just don't expect sonic Nirvana.

Its funny cause I have the RS6000 with 2" dome and emit these are anything but boomy evan with dual 10's. They sound very tight with great mids and highs to boot. Now EW you always bash these speakers I think you have a broken pair or poor set up. How can you tell if your work sounds good on crappy speakers anyway? Have you tried other speakers in the same location? Do the tweeters evan work?

Back
Top Bottom