My DIY spiffy looking speaker cable guide..

My first post :) thought i would share my cable's that i hand made. This is Silver Teflon wire, i buy it on ebay from a member called navships. VERY nice wire, i love it..

P1030251.JPG

P1030244.JPG

P1030245.JPG

P1030233.JPG

P1020982.JPG

jleaman, Very nice looking wires!! Can you give us some more details about your creation? Wire gauge? Did you buy the twisted pairs or twist them and then braid them your self? Solid core or stranded? That eBay seller does have some nice looking products. Thanks for the heads-up!!

jleaman, Very nice looking wires!! Can you give us some more details about your creation? Wire gauge? Did you buy the twisted pairs or twist them and then braid them your self? Solid core or stranded? That eBay seller does have some nice looking products. Thanks for the heads-up!!

its about 1.5 hours PER cable :) i hand braided them witch is hard because you have to keep all 3 pairs in line, you can't cross them wrong or you will see it in the pattern.

It's silver teflon wire from navships on ebay. I love this stuff, hard to work with but sounds awesome..

I used to make sets for people, but i stopped..

Here are some DIY cables I made a few months back. Each wire is 12 gauge silver plated Teflon coated military grade wire.

These are actually red and black, but the camera flash makes them look orangeish.

IMG_2163_zps9f1e0f07.jpg

IMG_2174_zpsbd3c60ae.jpg

IMG_2179_zps95f82d22.jpg

That's very similar to what I made for my "carputer" system...
I used Cat5 Ethernet cable...same single core, Teflon shielded and braided...
SpeakerWire005.jpg

For my $40 JVC A-S5 and $5, 18AWG speaker wire, I did this...
7eruzyby.jpg

This is just to keep my ears happy til I find my MkIII toobs!

Noticed lots of mil spec, silver plated, solid copper, Teflon insulated wire in various AWG's on eBay. Hmmmm...
And relatively cheap!

Sent from my iPhone...

They are 6 CAT5 cables pared up and then braided flat. All the dark colors grouped and all the light colors grouped. That was a lot of work getting the ends to lay right and fit the plugs. I had some big Monster cable before these and the difference in sound was apparent the minute I heard the first few notes of music. Measuring capacitance with my meter, there is very close to zero. The Monster cables capacitance will change depending on how they lay out. My 300B SET amp thread is also on the DIY forum and you can learn about my speaker mods over on the Klipsch forum.

Not sure I follow you...
I see 3X pair braided, in individual jacketing...?
Did you jacket them yourself?
How many single strands in each blue jacket?
Look great BTW

CAT5 cable has 4 twisted pairs in the blue sheath. I used 6 sheaths of CAT5 so I have 24 twisted pairs. Each twisted pair has a dark and a light wire. All the dark wires are joined at the ends and all light wires are joined at the ends. You end up with 2 groups of 24 conductors at each end to assemble into banana plugs or what have you.

speakerwire_zps56a07ec8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ahhh...CAT5 is different...it has a pair in each sheath that isn't teflon insulated...so I separated all the pairs and braided without the jacket (for my car)

At this point I may take my speakers apart and do all the hookups with a similar setup.
It seems to work very nice and is very affordable!

What Klipsch's are u running? I have recapped KG4's with Crites Ti tweets...
I also made RCA's using CAT5...just a double twisted pair. Sounds great!

Belden 5T00P vs Canare 4s11

Can anyone comment on the comparison between the Belden 5000 series cable and the Canare 4S11 cables from Blue Jeans Cable? Before i purchase one of them and all the accessories i'd like to know how well either of these cables sound, especially compared to more expensive cable brands.

Recently i built a some Cat5 cables using the 2pr twisted method (4 cables total) and gave them a listen on my friends 'reference' system where he uses expensive Audioquest cables. The audible difference was immediately noticeable, the Cat5 seemed to shrink the soundstage and take away some of the lower end. They really were shamed by the Audioquest cables.

If anyone has opinions on the BJC cables i would love to hear them!

Thanks

When you say "4 cables", and 2 pair, do you mean 4 individually shielded wires, or 4 X 8 individual wires?
They might need some "run in" time...and if you're using just 4 individually shielded wires per speaker, that just might not be enough AWG to power the low-end.

Back
Top Bottom