Quad Electronics (The brand, not Quadraphonic)- Any fans?

Been a Quad electronics fan for decades. Back in the stone age when I was selling audio at retail ( 1971-1976 ) a customer once brought in a 33/303 combo.
It dusted just about everything at or even significantly above their price point.
Needless to say, we took on the line.

I own the Quad 34 and Quad 306. They are great for desktop systems. I’m using them in my office. While they got C+ to B+ reviews when they came out, they do nothing wrong, sins of omission as I recall one reviewer saying. Maybe not the last word in transparency, but hey they look great on my desktop. I was dreaming I might find some ESL speakers, for a song and I would be ready to go. Compact but nice and heavy, like an ex girlfriend of mine.

Years ago, maybe 20+, I went with someone to audition the Spendor SP1. This is before real expensive audio gear was all the rage. I don’t recall all the amps that were used but the one that sounded the best was the Quad 405II. All the amps tested were in the 405s price range.

I didn’t know Sam Tillig but I can attest to them too. I’ll have to read his review.

Michael

I guess I would consider myself a fan. Back in the 80's my brother bought a 405/34/fm4 setup, sounded great until someonw decided to steal it. Around 10 years ago I had a 303/33/fm3 which was ok but a bit dated looking. Recently I bought a 606/44/fm4 combo, still waiting for it to arrive.

I don't suppose anybody has used Quad Mods USA for amp/preamp upgrades?

http://www.quadmodsusa.com/44upgrades.html

Just curious as it appears that they are local. I'll have a Quad 44 here and have heard its not great stock but I love the adjustability and aesthetic of it. Would like the sound to be more up to date.

I don't suppose anybody has used Quad Mods USA for amp/preamp upgrades?

http://www.quadmodsusa.com/44upgrades.html

Just curious as it appears that they are local. I'll have a Quad 44 here and have heard its not great stock but I love the adjustability and aesthetic of it. Would like the sound to be more up to date.

Haven't heard any of their work, but I've heard great things about them. Did some research on them when I read that Quad electronics were used to design my Spendors.

Haven't heard any of their work, but I've heard great things about them. Did some research on them when I read that Quad electronics were used to design my Spendors.

Good to hear they have a nice reputation.

If they're indeed in Illinois I'll probably cart this Quad 44 off to them. I haven't seen it yet...not even sure it works. What a cool looking preamp, though. I'll take a picture of it when I get it here.

Got the preamp. It works. It sound both better than I thought it would and inferior in nearly every way to my current preamp (Primare PRE-32). Which is as I expected. But...its NEAT. Its really neat actually and I"m going to send it to Quad Mods at some point to see where it can go. I have other things to attend to prior to that though.

The phono preamp on this thing is nuts. Need to look at the charts a page or two back.

EDIT: Phono wasn't that complicated, thought there was more adjustment than there was. Phono input sounds like poo :(. I mean, it sounds like every other amp, because all amps sound the same :).

Last edited:
Got the preamp. It works. It sound both better than I thought it would and inferior in nearly every way to my current preamp (Primare PRE-32). Which is as I expected. But...its NEAT. Its really neat actually and I"m going to send it to Quad Mods at some point to see where it can go. I have other things to attend to prior to that though.

The phono preamp on this thing is nuts. Need to look at the charts a page or two back.

EDIT: Phono wasn't that complicated, thought there was more adjustment than there was. Phono input sounds like poo :(. I mean, it sounds like every other amp, because all amps sound the same :).

Very cool. I've been curious to know how they would sound. I do agree, they are really funky looking. In a good way! I can't wait to hear what happens when you get it fixed up. I wonder how significant the mods will be. Even though it will still sound the same. :)

I was reading that same article earlier...seems we have similar Google skills Chicks :).

I can't speak for the different models' respective sound qualities but it appears that I have a Mk II here, given the description. Something tells me that with a recap and op-amp switch this unique little preamp could really be better than what it is now. I hope so- it's a good fit for me from a features and aesthetic standpoint. The tilt control is pretty swanky. Ingenious in its simplicity of approach and subtlety.

I have two hobbies if you haven't noticed. One of them is chasing the absolute best sound I can get. The other hobby, which is actually more fun sometimes, is just playing around with quirky and unique gear, much of it vintage, like its a toy. This is one of those things and its really cool. That it shows sonic promise is just icing on the cake.

QUAD did some great industrial design, for sure. Love the simple elegance of my 405-2. I've never had the pleasure of hands-on with one of their preamps, hope one pops up nearby at some point. Missed the last two opportunities, one of which was the seller of my 63's.

Enjoy!

I'm pretty certain at this point that I'm not going to end up buying the Quad 44. After spending a few days with it, it's just readily apparent that its performance is so far off the pace that it would just sit here collecting dust like so much of the other audio curiosities laying around here. I can't imagine any modifications being done to it to make it competitive with the Primare or Klyne preamps (and the Klyne is being sold, but not because it doesn't sound good, I just need money for the Primare). Every moment the Quad was in my system was a moment that I was itching to get back to the Primare.

I'm still a bit undecided. It's pretty unique, and unique looking. I just got a new camera so photos are a bit spotty here until I figure it out, such as it being out of focus. (Wow...should have dusted it off..a bit more resolution with this camera).

Another. Its hard to make it look glamorous but in person it's cool looking. A mixture of high-end and Fisher Price aesthetics:

I was wondering what that window was for... The first shot looks pretty darn cool. You sure won't mistake this for a '70's Japanese unit! :)

Disc and Radio. :)

I was wondering what that window was for... The first shot looks pretty darn cool. You sure won't mistake this for a '70's Japanese unit! :)

Disc and Radio. :)

Here ya go, faked an "antique" look with a cheesy filter so it could be better mistaken for a '70s unit of some sort.

I have to say...I like the looks of the Quad 33 better. But this doesn't look like anything else I've had.

Back
Top Bottom