The Absolute Sound Editors Choice Awards - 7 integrated Amps for less than $1000

As far as the Jolida is concerned does anyone know which Jolida company make it? One or both or has that situation been resolved? I have no confidence in Jolida no matter how good the products may be until that mess is resolved. The amp, however, is very attractive no matter who made it.

cubdog

I've owned that Jolida...very nice...especially re-tubed with Matsushita's!!!

And...I ran my Maggies with it...not loud but at a very pleasent level :)

I've owned that Jolida, as well. Very nice, and convenient as all get-out, with the remote. I rolled out the stock tubes and enjoyed the results. The Jolida performs well even (especially?) at low volumes. I never wanted for a "loudness" function.

I've heard all the rest listed, except the NuForce. If I had a small space, and I do, the Jolida would be my choice, of the group. In the interest of full disclosure, I sold it, because it couldn't push my Almarro off the shelf.

Mine did as well...and I sold mine to a friend locally who was dying to try tubes...and I had more gear at the time than I needed...he's still has it :)

I'm impressed by the look of the Nuforce and love the art decco Jolida. It's really cool that this stuff is rolling out. But, where's the silver faced :(

If I were building a new black system which is not what I do, but if - I'd be sorely temped to go with the stealth black Nuforce.

This is silver and $500:

http://www.teac.com/product/a-h01/

Has a built in DAC and heritage from their high-end line Esoteric and Class-D ICEpower amplication.

I've thought about it often as an amp for my desk at work. I don't know why it rarely gets reviewed..maybe it sounds bad? With ICEpower amplification I doubt it.

This is silver and $500:

Has a built in DAC and heritage from their high-end line Esoteric and Class-D ICEpower amplication.

I've thought about it often as an amp for my desk at work. I don't know why it rarely gets reviewed..maybe it sounds bad? With ICEpower amplification I doubt it.

I love Teac stuff and that is a nice one. Pair that with a Squeezebox and a nice pair of speakers, you're done.

cubdog

This is silver and $500:

Ooh...nice...I find myself really wanting to try that. It has a sub out and a motorized volume control. :yes:

It's simply amazing what you can get for under a grand now-a-days. Especially those around $600!

As for the Marantz, those new models are really nice and will go some ways to giving the China high-end manufacturers a good name. As I've said before, there's very good evidence inside them that they are being built by Shanling. (yes, I am biased)
Brett a, did you purchase that Shanling A-300 directly out of China, or is there a USA importer?

This integrated from Teac looks interesting also:

http://www.teac.com/product/ai-501da/

'Very nice to see a manufacturer offering new products in silver to the USA.

It looks beautiful. 90W/ch at 4 ohms so probably 45-60wpc at 8?

Two issues for me- no phono stage, and my biggest frustration, no balance control. Perhaps only issues to me, especially the balance control, as many new product have seemed to have done away with this.

$849.00

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-120508-teac-ai-501da-integrated-amp.aspx

Last edited:
I think the balance control thing is just a conspiracy to annoy you. ;)

I think you are correct, sir!

It's probably no big deal for most folk. And i understand why manufacturers do it- both cost savings and less in the signal path to degrade sound.

But my room setup has a small imbalance and I need to shift/tweak the balance to the left in both the bedroom and living room systems.

Oh- and I have a Dave Van Ronk recording I love, but they panned his vocals completely to the left, and the right channel is pretty quiet, so in that case, I need to shift everything to the right, to make it listenable.:sigh:

In defense of Balance Controls

Well for we who are living in a near field desktop universe balance controls are definitely nice, either I move my body or I adjust my balance controls. OK, I have my legs up resting on my desk, I’m comfortable and I would love to balance things without changing my perfectly comfortable angle of repose that I am in. But no way; my DAC preamp does not have balance controls. It is enough to drive an audiophile to drink or at least refill his wine glass and work on re-establishing his areole sweet spot. My choice of adjective is lacking but I lack balance controls.

Michael

In defense of Balance Controls

Well for we who are living in a near field desktop universe balance controls are definitely nice, either I move my body or I adjust my balance controls. OK, I have my legs up resting on my desk, I’m comfortable and I would love to balance things without changing my perfectly comfortable angle of repose that I am in. But no way; my DAC preamp does not have balance controls. It is enough to drive an audiophile to drink or at least refill his wine glass and work on re-establishing his areole sweet spot. My choice of adjective is lacking but I lack balance controls.

Michael

Any chance of using balance controls on your source? If you're feeding your DAC with a PC/Mac, you could always do it that way.

Back
Top Bottom