Kenwood Eleven G and GX

Ohhh nooo……not the big empty box!! Lol!! That’s what some will say around here. Why….maybe because it does not have a huge toroidal power transformer?? Who knows for sure, but I know they sound dang good!!

They are basically the same. The GX has a modified power amp circuit and different output transistors. The cabinet is different also. Other than that everything else interchanges between the two. As for production dates I’m not sure. I don’t think the info is out there for you to break it down. I’d say late 70’s for the G and very late 70’s to early 80’s for the GX from what I have gathered.

The Model Eleven G & GX were top of the line in there series. 120 WPC MINIMUM @ 8 ohm and you can run 2 sets of speakers at that on this thing at an 8 ohm load. Loud?? You better believe it!! I know because I have an Eleven G and a KR-11000G (euro black face model of Eleven G) along with a few of its smaller wattage siblings. I love them and there are others on here that are quite fond of them too. Great tuners, lots of power and separate pre-in/outs are a huge plus. I would not change a thing except the M.A.C. (equalizer). I like the separate bass/mid/treble set up better. I can shape the sound better to my taste. I do use a Yamaha EQ-70 as an equalizer.

Why did you come across one of these?? I'm alway looking for parts units in this series. Parts for them period. Anyone have parts??

The problem I was told by my tech is that one channel is no good do to possible pre amp relay switch being bad? Is this fixable? My tech says no!

Last edited:
THE SPEAKER MAGNATE Kelso,WA

My Kenwood Eleven G was able to be fixed for a little coin! I highly recommend this guy for your hard to do jobs! Just because other techs say they cant fix your unit give this guy a shot-Im glad I did. There was several issues with it like broken solders and such but its fixed and will be my driver as soon as I get it back. Plus its a nice drive up from portland too!

My Kenwood Eleven G was able to be fixed for a little coin! I highly recommend this guy for your hard to do jobs! Just because other techs say they cant fix your unit give this guy a shot-Im glad I did. There was several issues with it like broken solders and such but its fixed and will be my driver as soon as I get it back. Plus its a nice drive up from portland too!

It's great that you were able to get it fixed, and for little coin is a bonus:yes:
I hope to get my Eleven G fixed soon--and hopefully for little coint too.

Its Now My main Driver

Wow is all I can say-I am glad I made the investment since I like kenwood receivers I wanted one of these for my collection. Boy its sure pretty with those blue light and meters. Everything works now and it sure sounds good! The styling of the big box Kenwoods leads me to believe they are early to mid seventies but I dont know for sure? The tech in Kelso Washington (www.thespeakermagnate.com) is great and and went go the extra mile to get it fixed. And there were alot of things that were wrong with it. I turned it up to about the 4 level on the volume til the wife started to pound on the floor above. I have eviction notice party speakers on my main system Cerwin Vega DX9s

Last edited:
I finally opened my Eleven G up over the weekend. It was pretty dusty inside and had a fair amount of what appeared to be cat hair. I blew it out but it needs a more thorough cleaning. The left channel is not working and the right cuts in and out a little bit. All the lights are working--except maybe the stereo light. The faceplate looks great. All the knobs are present. And the wood case is in overall pretty good shape.

I really want to build a Kenwood 2-channel system. I'm just not sure if this is the receiver I should start pouring money into. It does look pretty sweet with all the lights lit up.

I finally opened my Eleven G up over the weekend. It was pretty dusty inside and had a fair amount of what appeared to be cat hair. I blew it out but it needs a more thorough cleaning. The left channel is not working and the right cuts in and out a little bit. All the lights are working--except maybe the stereo light. The faceplate looks great. All the knobs are present. And the wood case is in overall pretty good shape.

If there was that much dust laying in there imaging how much made its way into all the pots, switches and sliders? I think a thorough cleaning of these would cure its woes, especially the cutting in and out. This is a large and tedious job with lots of opportunities to damage and break things. It takes a lot of disassembly to get to everything properly to do a good job. And sometimes it has to be done more than one for those really dirty ones. If you know a few tricks it is not that bad though. I prefer different cleaners for each job too.
You said cosmetically it is nice, that’s what counts. Electronics are easier to fix than broken dial glass, gouged faceplate and stuff like that. You can still find parts for these if you look hard (especially if you know what other models parts interchange) but most the time you have to buy a complete unit (or parts unit).

I really want to build a Kenwood 2-channel system. I'm just not sure if this is the receiver I should start pouring money into. It does look pretty sweet with all the lights lit up.

Heck yeah they are stunning all lit up!! And at a minimum of 120 wpc it is loud enough to get the cops called on a regular basis. It may look like a big empty box but I beat mine on a regular basis (into 4 ohm speakers too) and have never had a meltdown. If you want a more power full Kenwood receiver with beefier innards (more like your spec 4) check out a KR-9600.
Is it worth it? Value wise (per that big auction site) nice ones range from $150-$300 depending on how nice, parts units and clunkers for $50 plus. So no you’re not going to get rich off it. I don’t think it would take a lot of money, just a lot of time to bring it back.
Plus the price was right was it not? Hard to beat free man! If it turns out to be something you’re not willing to tackle and the price was right I’d take it off your hands and give it a try. I can always use a parts unit if all else fails.

ooops got part of my reply in the qoute, sorry.

Yea, I think I'm gonna hang on to it. I like the way it looks better than the KR-9600. 120 wpc is way more than I'll need. It will be hooked up to some very efficient Klipsch Cornwalls. I'm not really pressted for time to get it going--just impatient. I've got so many spring/summer projects around the house to get done--it may take a while to get to it.

Its Now My main Driver

Wow is all I can say-I am glad I made the investment since I like kenwood receivers I wanted one of these for my collection. Boy its sure pretty with those blue light and meters. Everything works now and it sure sounds good! The styling of the big box Kenwoods leads me to believe they are early to mid seventies but I dont know for sure? The tech in Kelso Washington (www.thespeakermagnate.com) is great and and went go the extra mile to get it fixed. And there were alot of things that were wrong with it. I turned it up to about the 4 level on the volume til the wife started to pound on the floor above. I have eviction notice party speakers on my main system Cerwin Vega DX9s
I just found this thread looking for more on the Eleven G I just acquired and was pumped to see there's a good tech so close to home,I live in SW WA.
Here's my thread on the 11 G I found. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...e-of-a-vintage-receiver.826023/#post-11686817

Back
Top Bottom