Sony PS-X5, X6, X7 Tonearm Lifter Descent Repair

MAXZ28

Addicted Member
Here's a helpful yet simple fix to correct a fast descending tonearm on the Sony PS-X5, PS-X6, and PS-X7 model turntables.

The project PS-X5 TT I was going through for AKer kappa7krazy would drop the tonearm like a rock. BAM! Sorry cantilever! :( It would likely cause damage quickly if not corrected so I embarked on the fix with the guidance of the Sultan of Sony TT's, AKer thedelihaus. Perhaps there are others out there in the AK community that could benefit from this project? :scratch2:

The fix goes as follows...

Disassembly:

1. Remove the bottom cover [ six screws ]
2. Remove protecto-cover [ one screw ] that covers the lead wire solder
joints. Should look like this underneath with cover removed:

005vcu.jpg

3. Desolder lead and ground wires - annotate their placement for easy
resoldering during reassembly
4. Loosen brake assembly [ allen set screw ] - take note of placement of
the brake assembly before doing so for proper reassembly
5. Remove the tonearm base screws on top [ three ]

003agw.jpg

6. Carefully lift tonearm assembly out of plynth - make sure the lead wires
don't snag or catch anything as you slide the tonearm out.

7. With the tonearm removed, the armlifter assembly will have a set screw
that you remove with a screwdriver. Should look like this:

007lsg.jpg

With screw removed:

006cks.jpg

I used Kyoscho silicone oil via a baby medicine syringe to inject the oil into the armlifter cylinder. Doesn't take alot but be sure to get as much as you can in. Keep in mind that it's as thick as cold honey.

001ntx.jpg

When you reassemble the TT, be sure to pull up any slack in the lead wires as you guide them through the brake assembly. If you don't, you could risk pinching or even cutting the delicate leads if they get caught between outside of the tonearm shaft and brake assembly guide-in. Trust me, you don't want to find out the hard way. :thumbsdn: Keep the leads taunt as you slide the tonearm shaft through the brake assembly.

Reassemble everything accordingly - basically the reverse order of the disassembly steps.

If your tonearm drop point is off significantly, you'll have to adjust the brake assembly on the tonearm shaft with the allen set screw. Consider this step as the "course" adjustment while the set screw accessible on top of the tonearm base acts as the "fine" adjustment.

Adjustment access:

002jat.jpg

I should have taken a video of the "before" but here she is after reassembly. The tonearm drops much slower now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW7y3cy-doo

Hope this helps out another Sony TT owner. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Oh- and thanks for the kind words- but I'm just a pony with a few tricks. You give me way too much credit.

Great tutorial !!! :thmbsp: :thmbsp:

Now I want one of those beauties! :tears: :D

Kudos to the Sony meister - thedelihaus

Hi all,
I completed this topic, thanking MAXZ28 which allowed me to find the exact location or to inject silicone.
Here are some pictures of my PS-X7, I possess also the PS-X6, which had the same treatment.
You'll notice that the screws in my arm PS-X7 is different from that of MAXZ28, while that of my PS-X6 is identical.
I also brushed with silicone spring outside.

Again thank you ! :tresbon:

PS: (My English is not great, hence I used the Google translator)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 01 SONY PS-X7.jpg
    01 SONY PS-X7.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 726
  • 02 SONY PS-X7.jpg
    02 SONY PS-X7.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 716
  • 03 SONY PS-X7.jpg
    03 SONY PS-X7.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 717
  • 04 SONY PS-X7.jpg
    04 SONY PS-X7.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 729
  • 05 SONY PS-X7.jpg
    05 SONY PS-X7.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 716
  • 06 SONY PS-X7.jpg
    06 SONY PS-X7.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 696
Good info on the lift mech. Question for both posters of photos: Are those lateral balance weights in the right position for the carts used?

I did not touch the lateral weight, the original adjustment (factory). There is no need to change it. ;)

Thanks for posting this fix! I bought my sony ps-x5 used from a guy for $35. It wasn't working when I bought it so I had it repaired by a repair shop. Unfortunately, they couldn't repair the tonearm platform at the time because it wasn't included in the price of the repair. The repair cost was only for the return mechanism, which they couldn't fix by the way, and just put it in manual mode. I stumbled upon this post and after reading it, I figured I'd give it a shot and try to fix it myself. So after opening up the turntable and getting the tonearm out, I found out that the ring that keeps the spring in place was missing and also, the screw that you have to remove to put the oil into was missing as well. This makes me wonder if these parts were missing when I first bought the table, or after the repair because they did change the audio output wires. Anyway, I think I'm outta luck to fix this TT. It sucks cause the turntable seems to be in good condition. I included a pic of the tonearm housing.

canon dslr 183.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I found out that the ring that keeps the spring in place was missing and also, the screw that you have to remove to put the oil into was missing as well. I think I'm outta luck to fix this TT.

Looking at the pictures and not the bottom of the PS-X5 sitting over there in the projects pile, I don't think you are totally out of luck. It seems the ring that keeps the spring in place is just a C-clip or E-clip and the screw on the piston is just a common grub screw. Sure these might be metric but they are readily available.

You might find them at a local hardware store that is well stocked or if you are a subscriber, ask on Barter Town. Maybe thedelihaus has a parts unit.

Well, I lucked out and found another PS-X5 to use for parts. Had to drive about an hour to pick it up but I was happy to find that the tonearm platform was working fine on that one. So I ended up swapping out the tonearm platform from the one I picked up and putting it in my original one. The problem I'm having now is the harsh sibilance I'm getting from my Ortofon 2M Blue. I've tried adjusting the VTA up to 2.0g and that didn't help at all. I also tried playing with the anti-skate. Could use your guys expertise here. Thanks!

Thanks for the info. I'll save it for the PSX7 I've had since bought new in the 70's. I've had a couple of minor issues (burnt strobe bulb, regular lube/service) but not this one yet. It's been a great piece.

I don't contribute much but I read AK regularly. Thanks guys.

Anyone know if the carbon tonearm of the PS-X7 is interchangeable with the PS-X5? Is it worth tracking one down and swapping out on my PS-X5?

Thanks for the tip on this, my arm also drops suddenly. Plan to do this soon.

This thread spans a bit of time, but I found it today and it's been some great insight. A friend just gave me a Sony PS-X6 that has this exact issue of dropping the tonearm like a bad habit.

I also only get audio in the L channel. I'll be getting under the hood soon, but so far those are the only two issues I can tell so far. The automatic mechanisms work as expected, and the table sure looks good too.

This thread spans a bit of time, but I found it today and it's been some great insight. A friend just gave me a Sony PS-X6 that has this exact issue of dropping the tonearm like a bad habit.

I also only get audio in the L channel. I'll be getting under the hood soon, but so far those are the only two issues I can tell so far. The automatic mechanisms work as expected, and the table sure looks good too.

I have the PS-4300 and it seems like these things are bad about the RCA cables going bad. I have two of these; the 1st one I bought had one RCA cable replaced, I bought another on ebay for parts but ended up getting it working just by replacing the RCA cables (not a bad deal for $60 with shipping), and while searching ebay there was another for sale boasting "upgraded" RCA cables... I'm assuming the "upgrade" was really a repair.

On the "parts" turntable that I got working... this thread is my only other issue. Originally it wouldn't drop at all, I sprayed a little deoxit through the holes in the tonearm base and used the lever to work it up and down, and then it started dropping like a brick, enough that it bounces a tad.

I have this problem on my ps-x5, so thanks for the guide. Unfortunately, the photos are no longer available. OP, is there any chance you are still around and could repost the photos? Also, what weight silicone oil should I use? Thanks!!!!

Reactions: juh
Grabbed this turntable a couple years ago. Unexpectedly incredible piece of equipment, but shortly after purchasing, the tonearm started slamming down and the auto needle placement position got stuck at 10". Now... to learn how to solder...

Back
Top Bottom