Which is the best Marantz receiver?

1986 635 CSI sold it and I've never been the same since...

I had a 1985 635CSIa with the sport interior. It was dark charcoal with black leather interior. The styling was timeless. I always lusted after the 1988-90 M6. Today, 635's are showing up at the self serve junk yards. I must be getting old.

It's whatever you own and enjoy listening to (or can afford) OR whatever you enjoy driving (and can afford.)
In my case it is a 2270 and a 2000 325Ci 5 speed. :D

Marantz 2385 and 1988 M6....gonna take some dash customization.

You've got an '88 M6? Great car! I saw one a few weeks ago. It was dark cobalt blue. The M6 missed the DOHC V8 by a year or two. That combo would have been even more of a dream machine.

OK, I can pick up a 2265 working except for a couple of lights with a wood case for $350. Is that a good deal or just fair? As far as BMW, I will take my 2006 550i over all the rest except a newer M3 or M5. But I wouldn't shy away from a newer 335D with 430 foot pounds of torque and 37mpg.

The M6 is not mine ....yet. Have a standing promise (?) with a neighbor friend and he's in the process of simplifying into retirement and a move. (For nine years I've been waiting....)

Haven't auditioned them all but I've seen plenty of pictures and the best looking ones are the 2270 and 2325.

Had a 4300 that was great looking too. I've restored and recapped my 1060 integrated amp and it is really pretty in its oiled walnut cabinet.

I second the 2270 - it's built differently than 2265 or lower model no.s, and sound better to me.

If you already have many of them, you might want to try something else - it's fun to have different sounds available to you - since different music sounds better on different systems.

In the purist sense, the Marantz 19 was their best, the 18 second best. The only Marantz receivers with any Saul Marantz or Sidney Smith input in their design. Following that era, there are other candidates.

So, I have the chance to buy a Marantz 2265 for $350 with wood case, which needs some new veneer. There are a couple lights out, but the unit works fine. SHould I pull the trigger or wait for a 2270 to come along????

I've only heard a couple of em but for my money I like the 2330b.Plenty of power and features but not real big and bulky like the 2385,2500 and the 2600.

I have to say my 2 favorite receivers I own are, the 2285b, & the 2330b. I also owned a 2238, passed along to my son. Of the extensive sampling of my Marantz collection, that's my choices. My 170dc's(2ea) & 3250 preamp, or 250 amp, & Model 33 preamp is also right up there, & look as great as they sound. But the question was regarding receivers. I do have to mention the speakers I use & love are 4 Pioneer HPM-100's & 2 Klipsch Forte's. When I bought my 2285b in the 1977 I sampled almost every speaker on the market then, and bought the HPM-100's. After 38 years they still sing & added a second pair a few months ago, the second cost almost 2X, what I paid for the first pair. The Forte's also sing, from Classical, Swing, Bop, Jazz, Blues & all forms of Rock. My tube stuff performs exceptionally well with these speakers too!
As for the rest of my collection, my son will have to pry them from my Cold Dead hands!!!

Last edited:
1986 635 CSI sold it and I've never been the same since...oh yeah, I don't have a receiver but I'm running a 1060...

I had a 1985 Sharknose with Sport seats and steering wheel. It was Dark Graphite with black interior. It was a lovely car. Slow but lovely.

My very first and only Marantz, a 2270. Bought new and still have it.
And no Beamers.

Is SR-9600 any good? Video section still working LOL. I have one of those.
How does it fare against the vintage gear?

Anyone wants to trade your 635csl or the 88' M6 for it :D

Most Marantz silver is good.
There are some I feel "less" about. One turd I know of. I've had many of the larger ones and a few smaller ones.

The 2275 and 2325 are in the top on my list.

The 2230B is a jewel though too. 2230B not 2330B.

Never had a 2265 though but a working one in wood is probably a decent deal at $350.

Most Marantz silver is good.
There are some I feel "less" about. One turd I know of. I've had many of the larger ones and a few smaller ones.

The 2275 and 2325 are in the top on my list.

The 2230B is a jewel though too. 2230B not 2330B.

Never had a 2265 though but a working one in wood is probably a decent deal at $350.

Which did you think was a turd?

Back
Top Bottom