The LAST Fisher?

TheRed1

Console Conservationist
DTA300.jpg

Amazingly, I found one still listed as a NEW item for sale online. Only 1 unit still in stock! It gets good reviews, too. I am half-tempted to order it to display on top of my '41 Philharmonic. Both are AM/FM/iPod-capable and thus are truly representative of the entire arc (or perhaps circle) of Avery Fisher's companies and their descendants. It seems especially appropriate that the DTA-300 is shown set to AM radio.

Well, the bird and the eighth-note remain. Sorta like if you saw Marilyn Monroe had a grandson with blond hair; bears little resemblance, and the and the remaining artifact is of little relevance to the original.

Well, the bird and the eighth-note remain. Sorta like if you saw Marilyn Monroe had a grandson with blond hair; bears little resemblance, and the and the remaining artifact is of little relevance to the original.

Ya that's right. Now, where is that famous pix of Marilyn's dress?

Amazingly, I found one still listed as a NEW item for sale online. Only 1 unit still in stock! It gets good reviews, too. I am half-tempted to order it to display on top of my '41 Philharmonic. Both are AM/FM/iPod-capable and thus are truly representative of the entire arc (or perhaps circle) of Avery Fisher's companies and their descendants. It seems especially appropriate that the DTA-300 is shown set to AM radio.

Please NO :no:
Those kind of things in general make me feel sad, like notches on a gunfighter's belt, or bringing back the names of classic cars and sticking them on plastic crap for the hipsters my age.
Someone, or in this case, something had to die to provide the trophy. And it's never done so that someone can eat or have shelter or medical care.
Just my opinion but to me it's a bad vibe. :tears:
I do understand where you're coming from though but in this case I personally don't feel like this represents full circle.
Maybe 3 people somewhere in marketing somewhere in China even know why "Fisher" is written on the piece of junk. :mad:
You are one of a few potential consumers that even appreciate the name and it's history (no offense to present company).
I see Garrard on boomboxes too and Advent on TVs. When I see that stuff I almost feel like somebody's laughing at me, or more importantly, people my parents age.
This journey with Daddy's Fisher makes me wish I had listened to him a little more, like try and show the respect to understand what he was trying to say to me while I was growing up.
This thing in the picture kind of disrespects that. The 500-C and others like it is like a metal and glass sculpture of what he and his generation stood for. :yes:
And I am sad that I missed a lot of it but I don't need to be reminded of that with every turn! :tears:
I hope that makes some sort of sense!
My 2 cents.
Phyllis

Last edited:
It always surprises me that Sanyo gets such a bad rap from the fans the classic Fishers. That honor should really go to Emerson. Based on what I know of the very long history of the Fisher company, Sanyo should probably be remembered for rescuing, reviving and attempting to maintain the reputation of the once great company. I'm not saying that Sanyo Fisher gear was in the same league as the stuff we all prize. Rather it should be judged within the context of its own epoch on its own faults and merits - not against classic Fisher gear.

There is good evidence that Avery Fisher supported Sanyo's stewardship of his family name. Sanyo was certainly an improvement over Emerson. (Emerson wasn't really Emerson in those days, anyway - just a division of National Union Electric!) To give you some idea of the depths to which Fisher descended in the early 70s, here is a letter Mr. Fisher wrote to Donald Harper, who was the President of Fisher during the Emerson era:

72LettertoquotDonquot1.jpg

There is no evidence Mr. Fisher ever sent this letter but he kept it in his Fisher files and I believe it accurately represents his feelings. It says a great deal about how much he still cared for his company. I have yet to discover any such damning documents that portray Sanyo in a similar light. On the contrary, Mr. Fisher happily participated in the gala 50th Anniversary celebration of his company in Manhattan in 1987 as well as many other publicity events of that time.

Another reason I respect Sanyo Fisher was their revival of the Milroy plant in Pa. and their building a of brand new plant in San Diego in 1979 - reversing Emerson's policy of shifting production overseas to Hong Kong. Sure, Sanyo also produced many of their Fisher branded products in Japan but that country's reputation for quality was being built during those years.

I just thought it was interesting, in light of Sanyo's recent sale to Panasonic and the apparent demise of the Fisher name, that there was at least one lone Fisher branded product still being sold as a new item . . . and there was only one left in stock.

Avery had so much pride in his creations that he put his name on them. It was his face everyone saw in the Owner's Manuals. The face behind the name was a real person. I can't blame him for one bit for feeling the way he did seeing his pride and joy sink into oblivion. Reminds me of what happened to Packard.

It always surprises me that Sanyo gets such a bad rap from the fans the classic Fishers. That honor should really go to Emerson. Based on what I know of the very long history of the Fisher company, Sanyo should probably be remembered for rescuing, reviving and attempting to maintain the reputation of the once great company. I'm not saying that Sanyo Fisher gear was in the same league as the stuff we all prize. Rather it should be judged within the context of its own epoch on its own faults and merits - not against classic Fisher gear.

There is good evidence that Avery Fisher supported Sanyo's stewardship of his family name. Sanyo was certainly an improvement over Emerson. (Emerson wasn't really Emerson in those days, anyway - just a division of National Union Electric!) To give you some idea of the depths to which Fisher descended in the early 70s, here is a letter Mr. Fisher wrote to Donald Harper, who was the President of Fisher during the Emerson era:

72LettertoquotDonquot1.jpg

There is no evidence Mr. Fisher ever sent this letter but he kept it in his Fisher files and I believe it accurately represents his feelings. It says a great deal about how much he still cared for his company. I have yet to discover any such damning documents that portray Sanyo in a similar light. On the contrary, Mr. Fisher happily participated in the gala 50th Anniversary celebration of his company in Manhattan in 1987 as well as many other publicity events of that time.

Another reason I respect Sanyo Fisher was their revival of the Milroy plant in Pa. and their building a of brand new plant in San Diego in 1979 - reversing Emerson's policy of shifting production overseas to Hong Kong. Sure, Sanyo also produced many of their Fisher branded products in Japan but that country's reputation for quality was being built during those years.

I just thought it was interesting, in light of Sanyo's recent sale to Panasonic and the apparent demise of the Fisher name, that there was at least one lone Fisher branded product still being sold as a new item . . . and there was only one left in stock.

Hi! :banana:
I love your posts, your intellect and your passion for Fisher equipment. :yes:
Your posts and histories are a pleasure, both articulate and extremely insightful.
I have learned many things by having the wisdom to read your thoughts and efforts here.
Thank you!
I am also fortunate to have had a Father smart enough to buy at least one piece of Fisher that is now teaching me a great deal and providing me much joy as well as a tangible connection to him.
I am very young both in years and in my knowledge of Fisher and I recognize that.
BUT, I respectfully submit to you; that Chinese piece of shit is NOT a Fisher as we know and love them here. It is not a "Fisher" period.
On any level, in any way.
And I guarantee you that same piece of plastic crap is probably being sold with at least one other name pasted on it.
If Avery Fisher could have been alright with this spiritually criminal and just downright unethical practice it would merely be a testament to another one of his great attributes as a man (to my mind).......GREAT mental health.
Sorry to fuss :sadwave:

Phyllis

Last edited:
For many years, if you owned a Fisher product, Avery emphasized taking care of any questions, needs, or inquiries. It was personal. You had a problem, he took ownership of it. He wanted you happy. I had a used 201 in 1980, didn't have a service manual. Called the new Sanyo era Fisher, they gave me a phone number to call. Called it, Avery Fisher spoke to me, was nice. Sent me a copy of the manual. And insisted I send the receiver to him, he felt the tuner section had an issue, and he had a service bulletin on it. He sent me a box, freight collect, 1 week later I got the receiver back, fully restored and better than I got it as a refurbished trade in. 10 years later. Avery Fisher was a class act. His picture and a well said page explained his commitment to Fisher customers and prospective owners.

There are a bunch of new Fisher products on the market.

Panasonic seems to have decided that the Fisher name would be perfect for headphones and other accessories.

I saw a new commercial advertising some real POS electronics under the old Bell and Howell name. It’s truly a shame.

Back
Top Bottom