Quad Electronics (The brand, not Quadraphonic)- Any fans?

It looks to be well made and the adjustability of it is fantastic. I just wish it sounded better. It's of its time, and I'm sure a rebuild with slight modification would help it along (and that's the word on the street, too, of those who have had it).

It's really small. I'm used to much bigger components...I like how little space it takes up.

I have the Quad 34/305 and along with the 44/405, if any gear were to predict and epitomize the future of compact audio desktop life it is these beautiful audio jewel boxes. Nothing comes close. OK some of us are into ascetics or as some might say WAF. But these Quad electronics are as beautiful now as the day they came out. Yes, they are definitely MiFi. I am always hoping that new OP amps or updates might make them shine (bright like a diamond). The best made schemes of mice and men. Please excuse me for becoming so poetic but they are keepers.

Michael

I have the Quad 34/305 and along with the 44/405, if any gear were to predict and epitomize the future of compact audio desktop life it is these beautiful audio jewel boxes. Nothing comes close. OK some of us are into ascetics or as some might say WAF. But these Quad electronics are as beautiful now as the day they came out. Yes, they are definitely MiFi. I am always hoping that new OP amps or updates might make them shine (bright like a diamond). The best made schemes of mice and men. Please excuse me for becoming so poetic but they are keepers.

Michael

Have you tried the new op amps and updates?

I'm in the same boat. I have BAF (bachelor acceptance factor) here. And the Quad certainly pushes the right buttons there.

To John VF

No, I haven't tried any upgrades after endless ST70 updates in my youth I am cynical about upgrades .But if you know any, as Ross Perot would say, I am all ears, I am glad to see that others love to push Quad buttons, they are on the left not the right, but they are certainly right!

Michael

To John VF

No, I haven't tried any upgrades after endless ST70 updates in my youth I am cynical about upgrades .But if you know any, as Ross Perot would say, I am all ears, I am glad to see that others love to push Quad buttons, they are on the left not the right, but they are certainly right!

Michael
I've only read of switching the op amps, recapping, and the Quad Mods folks I asked about, who appear to be local to me.

I have a slightly modded Stereo 70 that was filled with very high quality matched components, and it sounds very nice, so maybe there's hope for the 44? I didn't do the mods so really don't know what was done. It wasn't as dramatic as some mods, I know that. Some values changed, the choke is visibly different. And..?...not sure what else but it sounds great.

John VF,
I went through numerous and endless ST 70 mods, each one was the next best thing, (since sliced bread) and all that Jazz, this was in another, era.. I was young and green then. My Tek person now will not touch mods. I love Paul Weller and the whole British Mods screen. But that is another slice of heaven.

Actually when I got out of being into Audio (I bought a house, mortgage payments) my Quad 34/305 took good care of my musical needs in a nice way. They are kind of like my ex, short and compact but heavy.So we both go back a long way.

Now I am more open to Mods, like I am returning to my addiction, but in moderation. So i would love your input.

Michael

John VF,
I went through numerous and endless ST 70 mods, each one was the next best thing, (since sliced bread) and all that Jazz, this was in another, era.. I was young and green then. My Tek person now will not touch mods. I love Paul Weller and the whole British Mods screen. But that is another slice of heaven.

Actually when I got out of being into Audio (I bought a house, mortgage payments) my Quad 34/305 took good care of my musical needs in a nice way. They are kind of like my ex, short and compact but heavy.So we both go back a long way.

Now I am more open to Mods, like I am returning to my addiction, but in moderation. So i would love your input.

Michael

I'll keep everyone informed if I keep this and go through any modifications. They'd really only be whatever Quad Mods recommends. The op amps seems like a good place to begin based on what little I've read so far.

As for Paul Weller, I'd rather be hanging with those mods. I'm supposed to be reading up on getting my motorcycle license so I can ride my lady-friend's Vespa. My 'pretty green' is better spent on other pursuits these days!

Remove/replace/short out the tants on the output of the 44 and you will be very happy (check for DC on the output before the tants, below 50 mV is OK). A general recap wouldn't hurt either. Every module has DC blocking film caps on the inputs and outputs, remove those and it will be even clearer. Some say it loses its soft sound, though. The 34 is a little better generally, but the 99 pre outperforms them in every aspect.

Remove/replace/short out the tants on the output of the 44 and you will be very happy (check for DC on the output before the tants, below 50 mV is OK). A general recap wouldn't hurt either. Every module has DC blocking film caps on the inputs and outputs, remove those and it will be even clearer. Some say it loses its soft sound, though. The 34 is a little better generally, but the 99 pre outperforms them in every aspect.

Thank you for the input...I do hope it helps somebody. But unfortunately I sent the 44 on its way. It will make sweet music somewhere I am sure. But I do recommend that whoever gets it, has some work done to update it. As it was way off the pace for sound quality compared to my Primare PRE-32 and a number of other newer options I've heard (and some much older ones, too- it had nothing on my Fisher 400c).

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

Wish (in my life time) we would have a domestic QUAD dealer within a days drive (or just on the continent)... With my Atma-Sphere OTL Ma-1's updated, I'd simply love to do an audition of the larger, more modern (and manly) ESL-2905's (knowing the '57's are sweethearts). And as legion has held it that, OTL's and the panels are a match made in heaven...

Happy Listening!:beatnik:

Wish (in my life time) we would have a domestic QUAD dealer within a days drive (or just on the continent)... With my Atma-Sphere OTL Ma-1's updated, I'd simply love to do an audition of the larger, more modern (and manly) ESL-2905's (knowing the '57's are sweethearts). And as legion has held it that, OTL's and the panels are a match made in heaven...

I've not heard them (I really can't stand the local Quad dealer that much...that I'd not even audition speakers I'm this big of a fan of). But...of my friends that have, they (all 2 of them) prefer the 63 for some reason. They both mentioned that the new ones were balanced differently, brighter, more "hi fi". Which is not a term of endearment in my circle of audio friends. Kind of how Audiophile is taken around here.

Still, I should get over my hatred of Pro Musica and audition them.

John, there is a U.S. dealer? Pro Musica? in your hometown? (that's driving distance for me)

I should say that I have also heard the 63's and 57's in the past, and not heard, but caught the drift that many QUAD lovers from the past, po-po the newer ones as being the dreaded "audiophile sound". I'd like to find out for my own ears, without having to buy/sell a used pair.

John, there is a U.S. dealer? Pro Musica? in your hometown? (that's driving distance for me)

I should say that I have also heard the 63's and 57's in the past, and not heard, but caught the drift that many QUAD lovers from the past, po-po the newer ones as being the dreaded "audiophile sound". I'd like to find out for my own ears, without having to buy/sell a used pair.

Yes, Pro Musica is a Quad dealer. They had a pair of larger new Quads last time I was there but I was helping a friend audition something else and 1/2 hour was all we could stand to be in that place.

If you go, wear a neck brace to protect you from the whiplash you'll get from all of the sudden eye-rolls their constant stream of my-shit-don't-stink-but-your's-does attitude. They're every bad "audiophile salon" cliche' and then some. Luckily they're the only local dealer I know of that is like that.

Why did it have to be some snobbish hopeless bastards?

When I wrote QUAD within the last year to inquire about a domestic dealer, because I had just read a Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg rant about pairing the two, they responded to me that, "sorry there wasn't a dealer"... Hmmm

As a rule, if I'm going to give someone my money, especially for audio, I would like it to be someone I like.

Maybe they're no longer a dealer? I was in there a little over a year ago. It still says Quad on their site. Maybe they told Quad that their Quads were better than Quad's Quads.

Amazingly enough John, that doesn't sound improbable given your impressions about their demeanor...

They're classic stuff looks absolutely BRILL.

The closest I ever came to a piece of Quad gear was a 404 amplifier on craigslist. Didn't pursue it.

It should be said the "Quad" is in fact an acronym - Quality Unit Amplifier Domestic. That should help the whole quadraphonic confusion!

A very nice Quad reference site here: http://www.quad-hifi.info/showman.php

Thanks Chicks - I recently acquired a Quad 405-2 and 34 pre amp after lusting after one since my early 20's - could never afford really good stuff then. After re-capping, re-wiring, new zener's etc... I am so totally blown away by the simple musicality of the system (Garrard 401/SME 3009 s2/Shure V15 III VN35MR) and I'm revisiting vinyl I haven't played in years.

The link that you posted is a great source of information.

All I can say is, if you come across any Quad kit at a sensible price - try it, you won't be disappointed but you probably will need a truss after picking it up :music:

My small house system (WAF proof) is Quad 3/33/405 pushing small KEF's. I quite like it, though I have others that make me smile as much. - dan

Back
Top Bottom