Sony TC-366 - What's a good price to pay?

If it's truly been serviced as in reconditioned main idler wheel then it may be almost worth his asking price. These are entry level single motor decks that use a rubber idler wheel to keep the tape transport moving, and by now most of them need that rubber wheel resurfaced as it has become hardened up and noisy. Personally I'd keep looking unless you have your heart set on that particular model.

Yep,they're very good,reliable and easy to use.The average price for a good condition working one with dust cover is around £40/£50 here.If it's serviced prices could double,not to sure about prices in America though,I've had a quick look on Ebay.com and they seem to vary a lot.

It's not a bad deck, but outside of having 3 heads there isn't a whole lot to recommend it. It's a basic, single motor, lever operated transport. Add in the fact that it's on the west coast and you're at the other end, I'd have to think that:

1. There are probably similar deals closer to you.

2. There are probably better bargains to be had.

As always, just my opinion, YMMV.

(BUT: I used to own the 2 head version and wasn't all that impressed.)

I have a TC-399

look for a good Pioneer 701/707

the Sony's do have a nice sound though

that is a basic $50 used reel to reel that should be found locally on ebay pretty easily

Thanks everyone, I think I'll do a little more shopping for a better deal. Are belt-driven generally better than idler wheel decks? I'm new to reel to reel decks, but I know that belt-driven turntables generally have less rumble.

Thanks everyone, I think I'll do a little more shopping for a better deal. Are belt-driven generally better than idler wheel decks? I'm new to reel to reel decks, but I know that belt-driven turntables generally have less rumble.

Three motor solenoid operated decks are almost always better than single motor mechanically operated decks. A great starter deck for someone just getting into reel to reel would be a TEAC "A" series like the A-2300S or A-4300SX, also the above mentioned Pioneer RT-707.

The idler wheel driven decks like that Sony you were looking at have issues not with rumble but rather with speed consistency, WOW and flutter. When the rubber idler gets old and hardens up the speed starts to drag, slip and change (especially when you stand it up or lay it down). They were ok when new but they don't age well, plus all the linkages are pop-riveted to the stamped steel chassis and when they get worn out and sloppy you can't do much to improve them. The TEAC and Pioneer models mentioned are of a much, much better build and will last for many years without issues if serviced properly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom