Henry Rollins' $200K speakers: How punk is(n't) that?

Rollins played enough sweaty, stinky gyms and rat holes in Black Flag to kill most people. This man was punk when punk wasn't hip, the fact that he has gone on to other things and made a bit of cash, good for him. He is a true music lover, and buys the gear he buys to listen to his music. Even questioning Henry Rollins background or whether he is punk is funny. If I had that much to spend on gear, Id do it to, more power to him.

Okay, before I posted, I read all three pages of this thread.

Jesus, you guys sure pounced on the OP...:thumbsdn:

I think the message of his post was the discordance with Henry's spoken-word narratives, and the fact that he spent a quarter of a MILLION dollars for a stereo. This from a guy who once said his house contained a couch, a phone, and a lamp sitting on an endtable.

Has he earned it? Sure.
Is it an occupational tool? You could argue that.:scratch2:
Is he a music lover such as ourself? Most certainly. :music:
Does he have a right to change his mind? Of course.:yes:

However, i know one guy in particular that has based his life's perspective loosely on HR and his spoken word diatribes. It just seems disingenuous to me, but hey, live and let live.

He has a right to change, a right to buy what he likes. Seems to me the OP had a right to call bs on owning such a rig considering HR's previous rants on consumerism without some of the heavy-handed replies.

Okay, before I posted, I read all three pages of this thread.

Jesus, you guys sure pounced on the OP...:thumbsdn:

I think the message of his post was the discordance with Henry's spoken-word narratives, and the fact that he spent a quarter of a MILLION dollars for a stereo. This from a guy who once said his house contained a couch, a phone, and a lamp sitting on an endtable.

Has he earned it? Sure.
Is it an occupational tool? You could argue that.:scratch2:
Is he a music lover such as ourself? Most certainly. :music:
Does he have a right to change his mind? Of course.:yes:

However, i know one guy in particular that has based his life's perspective loosely on HR and his spoken word diatribes. It just seems disingenuous to me, but hey, live and let live.

He has a right to change, a right to buy what he likes. Seems to me the OP had a right to call bs on owning such a rig considering HR's previous rants on consumerism without some of the heavy-handed replies.

Bingo, almost.:thmbsp:

I wasn't intending to call Hank out, or question his punk credentials, or - actually - anything else.
If you haven't changed since 1984 something is seriously wrong with you. But yes, hearing that the guy I was sweating with in those stanky clubs way back when now owns a stereo valued at significantly more than the current U.S. median home price (feel free to fact check) does create a sort of cognitive dissonance.

I wasn't intending to call Hank out, or question his punk credentials, or - actually - anything else.
If you haven't changed since 1984 something is seriously wrong with you. But yes, hearing that the guy I was sweating with in those stanky clubs way back when now owns a stereo valued at significantly more than the current U.S. median home price (feel free to fact check) does create a sort of cognitive dissonance.

Terse, and well said. Glad you posted this.

Just him showing off Hi-End to audiophiles and audiophools on the pages of Stereophile... shaking hands and exchanging politeness with Michael Fremer... ugh.

Why Henry, why???

Pandovski said:
Why Henry, why???

Why not?

It's like this site expects everybody to be "punk" by running that good ol' inexpensive vintage gear, and if you buy something newer or more expensive, then you're a sell out audiophool.

Some day somebody will buy that stereo from Henry for much less than he paid for it. The circle of life.

Sent from the driver's seat or the desk at work via my Google Nexus 4

It's like this site expects everybody to be "punk" by running that good ol' inexpensive vintage gear, and if you buy something newer or more expensive, then you're a sell out audiophool.

"everybody"? judging from the replies I would say far from it.

Also, who said he paid for them? I'm sure Henry spouting the qualities of your companies speakers may get you alot of freebies, a company like Wilson certainly could spare a pair for all the publicity.

I can't honestly say that I have ever met "anyone" who was not a "hypocrite" and that includes yours truly. Let me spend a little time with you, or better yet, let me ask your teenager a few questions. And guess what? Yeah, no SAINTS here. So the best we can do is try to come to terms with that and struggle with the weaknesses we ALL have. And "you" know who you are. There would be NO great literature in this world if any of us were "perfect".

So I'd say get over yourselves and put on some tunes boys and girls!

cnh2

Now speaking of consumerism, chances are that Rollins gear is made in very limited numbers by extremely well paid craftsman as opposed to under paid labor from developing countries whose cheap cost subsidize our comparatively lavish lifestyles. I find it much less likely that human suffering is a built in component to the cost of Rollins gear. Certainly not as much as 95% of the goods the rest of us regular people buy on a daily basis.

So I can't see how Rollins would have compromised his statements against consumerism when selecting the components that he did.

Sent from my listening chair via my Google Nexus 7

:thmbsp:

It does, especially since Henry still owes me 300 bucks from 1980.

So if it creates a cognitive dissonance to you because he changed does that mean you are still the same person you were 30 years ago when you were a punk. No your not. You have a family? kids? a good job? thats not very punk. You grew up and so did he. So what. If I have the same world views when I am in my 50s that I do today that would be sad. I hope I grow and learn and not lock myself in a bubble because of something I said 30 years before.

Last edited:
Let's get him.:smoke:

We can formulate our plan at Rick's house...

Absolutely.

I was pretty proud of those mics.....

I used to run a pair of Altec 1234's as a PA in those days, in a rare moment of foresight I removed the grills and replaced them with expanded metal, painted cherry red. :D I'm pretty sure some of those Dischord kids still have "expanded metal tattoos", but the woofers survived.

Back
Top Bottom