"The Fisher" Chassis: 1945-1969

Sams folder 258-7 covers the 70R and 70RT - I don't THINK I have it but I'll look.

(edit) Don't have it but I did find the 20A, which I will add to my web site in due course...

Last edited:
That 50A also looks very similar to the 50R that is on the 'bay (#170592528906 - I have no affiliations with this), except for the model number and that the 50R has only four knobs across the front.

The 50R is missing the control features located on the center knob. So you would need a pre-amp for control if you had this one.

Last edited:
I'll add my Fisher 390 receiver, an early SS receiver with 'Tune-O-Matic'.
My guess is it's from '66 or '67.
Some pics I found on the web.

Attachments

• 390fisher.jpg
    390fisher.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 46
  • fisher390.jpg
    fisher390.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 44
390 is covered in Sams MHF-51 from 1974. Introduction may have been earlier... but I'm not sure if it makes the '69 cutoff...

Bringing this one back to the front.

Why isn't this a STICKY????????? Considering it's a "Master List" (or at least will/can be) of all models(other than consoles which have 2 sticky's) from 1945 to 1969, it should be a sticky.

WHAT SAY YOU!?!?!?!?!!!!!

Larry

Concerning the "50A" tuner above - methinks the tag has been swapped. A tuner / preamp wouldn't be more than 50 watts or so - tag says 170W. 70RT says .37A, which is about 45W. I'll post the Sams folder shortly...

Red; Need to update the dates for the R-2 and R-3. cooljjay's R-2 Allegro and BugleGirls R-3 Georgian are both 1950's and my R-3 Warwick is a 1951 as are Victor3d's and wrigley's. Also need to add the R-1.

Have we determined beyond a reasonable doubt, that the 101-R and the 4000R are the same unit except for designation??? I think it's probably safe to say if it's in a 1961 Model 4000 President (Pres V) or 1961 Executive V or VI it's a 4000R, but in anything else it's a 101-R.

Larry

Bringing this one back to the front.

Why isn't this a STICKY????????? Considering it's a "Master List" (or at least will/can be) of all models(other than consoles which have 2 sticky's) from 1945 to 1969, it should be a sticky.

WHAT SAY YOU!?!?!?!?!!!!!

Larry

Because I didn't even know this was here!!! Done!

TX-2000? Fisherdude, are you holding out on me? I've never run across that one. What year did that model debut? And 260 watts?!?! That's Fisher hyperbole, right?

I've got one. I'll look at the manual, etc., and see if I can come up with dates.

Thanks, FisherNewbEE. I had the 50-A (and the 50-R, incidentally) as a 1954 model since that was the earliest mention I had found when I originally posted this. I have corrected both to read 1953 - the model year. (You will note that the Audio Fairs took place in the Fall when audio manufacturers generally introduced the coming year's models - so these were '53 models.)

It is interesting that the 50-R wasn't among group shown at the Fair. Other than the AES pdf you linked to, the earliest mention of Fisher's complete 50 series components I have been able to find is an ad in the NY Times from June 1953 which includes all three models (50-A, -C & -R). That ad references the glowing reviews the 50-A & 50-C received in the March-April 1953 issue of High Fidelity.

High Fidelity also reviewed the 50-R sometime shortly after the above referenced article. Does anyone know the date of that review?

Apparently the 101-R was good enough for Saul Marantz to sell faceplates for the 101-R to match the model 7 preamp, until they could get their Model 10 and 10B on the showroom floor.

Link here.......http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mfisher.html

f101ra.jpg

Last edited:
Are those just the introduction dates? I know the R-20 was used in 1958. If the information is available, it might also be interesting to have the dates each one was dropped. I'm surprised to see that the mostly-tube FM-100-C was introduced as late as 1965.

Great list!

Yes, this IS quite a list for sure! I have a FM-100-C tuner and man is she sweet! The sound is really, really good!" That little tuner has made me a true Fisher lover :D
It has a PC board for the multiplex section. Is this model one of the last tube models before they switched to all transistorized models?

Last edited:
According to the Copyright date on the Service manual(1965), It's one of the last tube tuners, although it could be considered by stretching the term, a HYBRID, due to the transistorized MPX board. I think '66 was the 1st year for all transistorized separate tuners. Fisher went slow over a couple of years bringing the lines around to Solid State. IIRC it was mainly between 1964 to 1967.

Finally got around to joining AK. Been buying/selling/playing with vintage audio for a while now. On Saturday I picked up a (The) Fisher Statesman receiver. The nameplate identifies it as Model CO-6R. I've never heard of it, and I can't find any reference to it anywhere. I didn't see it on your list. It looks exactly like the 250/400 Tune-O-Matics. Has a wood cabinet that I think was an option. Has anyone heard of this model? Right now I've got it torn apart but here's a pic of the nameplate.
DSC_0024_zps5b67d642.jpg

The Red 1 wrote,
These are the models that were introduced during the Avery Fisher years: 1945-1969. 214 models to date - with probable duplications as a result of console chassis having separate model designations from their identical (?) separates

That averages out to ~9 chassis variations a yrs ofc in the earlier years
it's probably safe to assume there were probably less in a given year
either way that is a lot of models !

Maybe they were updating their chassis at least in the Tube era
more often than for instance Magnavox ,Maybe GE,RCA or Motorola etc ?
ofc that is not an apples to apples comparison either.

Last edited:
Finally got around to joining AK. Been buying/selling/playing with vintage audio for a while now. On Saturday I picked up a (The) Fisher Statesman receiver. The nameplate identifies it as Model CO-6R. I've never heard of it, and I can't find any reference to it anywhere. I didn't see it on your list. It looks exactly like the 250/400 Tune-O-Matics. Has a wood cabinet that I think was an option. Has anyone heard of this model? Right now I've got it torn apart but here's a pic of the nameplate.
Welcome to AK. Congratulations, I've never heard of the CO-6R either! Fisher used the 'CO-' designation on their "Consort Component" systems beginning with the CO-1 and CO-2 in late 1971 for the '72 model year. This was a complete component system (receiver/TT/speakers) sold as a unit under the CO designation. I had no idea the chassis were marked with that designation, though.

The CO-1 & CO-2 were built around Fisher's Futura series 201 & 202 receivers, respectively. Then, sometime around mid-season 1972, Fisher expanded the Consort line with a two-tiered lineup consisting of a lower Custom Consort Component System - CO-11, CO-12 (170 receiver), CO-13 (180 receiver) - and a higher Deluxe Consort Component System - CO-14 (180 receiver), CO-15 (203 receiver), CO-16 (205 receiver). The CO-14, -15 and -16 carried over into the 1973 model year. By 1974 Fisher had dropped the Consort concept and was beginning to focus on its Studio Standard components. The Consort concept was a comparatively short-lived experiment from some of Fisher darkest years.

You will note the receivers utilized in the Consort lines were Fisher's entry-level models of that time. Prices for the systems ranged from $250 to $500 which was fairly reasonable for a complete Fisher system though certainly not cheap. If, indeed, your receiver is a 250-TX/400-T with a Consort designation, (as I think likely,) it would have been about a one year older design than the rest of the three-digit receivers noted above. That might explain why it was being offered as part of a budget-priced system: it was leftover stock Fisher (Emerson) was trying to move. However, I cannot account for the Statesman designation unless it was originally slated for such an installation. That particular console chassis should be designated the 25-R. Furthermore, I can find no reference to the CO-6R in any of the sales literature or price lists from that period. The 'R' suffix is interesting since it seems to relate back to the chassis designations which were applied to Fisher's component receivers when used in a console. However, the wood case argues against it having been used in that application. It is a very unusual and perplexing model you have there.

Last edited:
Thanks, Red. I did a little Googling and found an ad from 1971 in the Toledo Blade. It's for a Fisher Consort system, list for $799, on sale for $599. The receiver looks like mine and is described as a Statesman. It's possible that Fisher put together systems specifically for certain chain stores, and the CO-6R might be a designation for one of those systems. It was pretty common to do that, and still is today. Here's a copy of the ad, I hope I can get it to work.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=tdBOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=zwEEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7290%2C3857087

Excellent research! Very interesting that your CO-6R seems to have predated the rest of the "Consort" line. That would mean your 250-TX/400-T/25-R "Statesman" was a current product at the time of offering which Grinnell's price reflects. Your suggestion as to Fisher putting together specific packages for certain high volume stores has precedent going back to the Avery Fisher years. That is often the explanation for some of the oddball models that crop up from time to time which did not appear is Fisher's own literature.

The master list shows the 700-T as being introduced in 1967. When I purchased my 600-T in August 1966, the 700-T was on the shelf next to it.

There is an archive of vintage Allied Radio catalogs on line that might be of some help. The link is:

http://www.alliedcatalogs.com/

Back
Top Bottom