XR50 owners...happy with the purchase?

mannypel

Looking at buying some XR50s and wanted some input from those that own or have listened to these speakers. Are you happy with the purchase? Impressions?I would be driving them with a MA8000 if I buy them. Thanks in advance.

Can't comment on the XR 50s but I listened to a pair of XR 100s last summer and thought they sounded incredible.

At 81 dB sensitivity, they're definitely on the low side.

Last edited:
I've listened to them at my local Mac dealer with vinyl and CD and thought they were so-so. System was a VPI Classic, MCD550, C50, MC452. I also auditioned the XR100's extensively and thought, really? McIntosh makes awesome electronics, but IMO, average sounding speakers systems.

But, the XR50's & XR100's appear to have very nice build quality.

Also, the Pear finish was absolutely beautiful.

To the OP - I'd definitely recommend investing some serious time auditioning the XR 50s against others before making any final decisions. Speaker choice should not be made hastily.

No problem there.. just use an amplifier that's 5x more powerful, i.e. go from 100 to 500 WPC. :D

Hey... that's NOT funny.. so kool it!

-Gregory

Hard to imagine (or not) - a pair of these would play no louder with a 200 watt amp than a pair of Cornwalls with a 2 watt amp.

MA 8000 will certainly be getting a workout!

Last edited:
The way I see it....basically.....although you could mix it up if you want...

XR50= MC302

XR100= MC452

XR200= MC601

XR1K= MC1.2K

XR2K= MC2KW

To the OP - I'd definitely recommend investing some serious time auditioning the XR 50s against others before making any final decisions. Speaker choice should not be made hastily.

Isn't that the truth. Certainly not based on what someone else says. The XR50 is a powerful 3-way stand-mount with quality construction and latest drivers. Definitely worth a listen.

I heard the x50 at an audition. I ended up buying something 3 x the price. I think I was a bit of snob when I did that. The x50 are amazing and I could not believe the sound was coming from such a small box.

You will not get anywhere close to the performance of the XR50 with any other bookshelf speaker! This bookshelf speaker is a winner.

The match with MA8000 is also a great combination.

McIntosh makes excellent speakers, and if you are open minded, put through rigorous tests and auditions, and look for more than just tone, but also imaging, natural response, deep bass, wide dispersion with consistent off-axis response, you will find no other speaker in the same class.

Not forgetting, they are made in Binghamton, New York.

Cheers!

Bumping an old thread, listening to view from the vault and hearing things I had never heard. The XR50's are awesome, even at loud volumes.

XR50s have unbelievably deep and accurate bass from a very compact design. They are flat to 40Hz which puts them in a different class than other small speakers made today.

thanks,
Ron-C

XR50s have unbelievably deep and accurate bass from a very compact design. They are flat to 40Hz which puts them in a different class than other small speakers made today.

thanks,
Ron-C

Flat down to 40Hz, that is pretty impressive from a small cabinet and driver. The new B&W 805 D3 is only claiming down to 42Hz +/- 3db.

Flat down to 40Hz, that is pretty impressive from a small cabinet and driver. The new B&W 805 D3 is only claiming down to 42Hz +/- 3db.
I have the 805S and I really like these small speakers. I also very seriously considered the XR50's. The only reason I purchased the 805S was because they came up on the used market first. I was investigating both sets of speakers at the time and the XR50 had good reviews everywhere I looked.

I have the 805S and I really like these small speakers. I also very seriously considered the XR50's. The only reason I purchased the 805S was because they came up on the used market first. I was investigating both sets of speakers at the time and the XR50 had good reviews everywhere I looked.
I got a pair for a little over 2200 that were 10/10 on the Audiogon scale, I had to get them!!!

Back
Top Bottom