Stone Lake, Wisconsin 1980 Music & Art Festival

gkwolfman

USAF 1973-1980
Was going through some old videos(old vhs tapes) and found my old T-Shirt from the Stone Lake, Wisconsin (Memorial Weekend) Music & Arts Festival May 1980. I can't find the T-Shirt anymore. I tried to do a "google" for this event, and the only thing that comes up is the Stone Lake Cranberry Festival. I had photos from the concert, but, I can't find them. I may have the negatives some where and might try and see if they are still good.

I asked one of my relatives, if they still did these concerts there, and they said no. They told me that the 1980 concert may have been the last one they did. HEADEAST head line the top list. I believe Wolfman Jack was there. I can remember Canned Heat for sure, but that is it.

Okay, anyone remember this concert, have photos, or stories. I know it was for three days at least. Like a mini woodstock.

Attachments

• aaaa  STONE LAKE WISCONSIN MUSIC FEST.JPG
    aaaa STONE LAKE WISCONSIN MUSIC FEST.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 102
  • bbbbb  MAP OF STONE LAKE WI.JPG
    bbbbb MAP OF STONE LAKE WI.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 72
I know this is an old post but I have literally been looking everywhere for photos and videos of the festival online! Luckily for you I know just about everything you will want to know about the Stone Lake music fest, since it was operated on the "Snow Bowl" which my grandfather owns. Before the music festivals somebody had an idea of a snowmobile race up there (way before the commercial ones outside of Hayward these days), so he made it happen. After a few successful years he had his workers make a stage and grade the soil for a good layout. My grandpa sold ice, booze, food, etc. We have a bunch of photos from the ordeal. And as far as artists go, you are correct. Head East, Canned Heat, Wolfman Jack among others were at the festival haha.
Post a reply if you have any questions because I have at least 10 hilarious stories for ya!

Snow Bowl-Art festival Concert Revisited

With some help, I have located the old concert grounds via google earth.

For three days in May 1980, when times were a little less hectic of the events of today, people, and lots of them, gathered outside of a very small town in Wisconsin(approx 500), Stone Lake, and enjoyed partying and music. From what I can remember, this expedited without any major incidents.

Our group of event goers, hailed from the Duluth, Minnesota area. We embarked mostly on iron horses(mainly Harley Davidson). Most of the camping and other necessities were transported by automobiles. My contribution of vehicle was a 67 XR7 Cougar and I rode a '80 Sportster Roadster, brand new off the show room floor from Duluth at the low price of $4200.00. It was the 1000 model. Which later on that year, is when I was lucky to get my year birth Harley(1956 Pan Head). I always felt at that particular time, that I was definitely steppin' in High Cotton(67 xr7, 80 hd, 56 hd), and being only 24 yrs old(and Not Married)and, this is the good one, Not Working. Don't worry, I paid cash for everything, all paid for, and earned the old fashion way!!!, I earned it.( LoL )

Well, this event has been long gone long time ago, and I feel not many ponder or think about this event. Most probably are not alive to do so. I am in my final year of the "50" arena, and I know a lot who were there were older than me. Only going by the life style that was eminent at the time, and considering any life changes there after.

I have found two articles from Milwaukee, Wi for a similar festival that took place one year earlier in that same small town area.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=qykEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4644,4503159&hl=en

https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=qykEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6739,4811518&hl=en

During the course of my life, I have never met another person that has ever talked about or heard about this event. I guess it is not a small world after all. ((((until very very recent)))
With the help from a recent acquaintance, it was brought to my attention that the stage in still present(in a deteriorating form).
ppppb_zpsmtjkfa4n.jpg~original

Never heard of the Stone Lake concert, but I was at Powder Ridge, Ct., where there was supposed to have been a big music festival, but at the last minute, the town council managed to get a court injunction against it. Didn`t matter much, though....by that time, thousands of people had already arrived, and decided to stay and have our own party. A good time was had by all....

Then during Easter week of 1972, I went down to Vega Baja Puerto Rico for the Mar y Sol Festival (like Woodstock on the beach). Now, that was a blast !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhS5t_zx53k

I know this is an old post but I have literally been looking everywhere for photos and videos of the festival online! Luckily for you I know just about everything you will want to know about the Stone Lake music fest, since it was operated on the "Snow Bowl" which my grandfather owns. Before the music festivals somebody had an idea of a snowmobile race up there (way before the commercial ones outside of Hayward these days), so he made it happen. After a few successful years he had his workers make a stage and grade the soil for a good layout. My grandpa sold ice, booze, food, etc. We have a bunch of photos from the ordeal. And as far as artists go, you are correct. Head East, Canned Heat, Wolfman Jack among others were at the festival haha.
Post a reply if you have any questions because I have at least 10 hilarious stories for ya!
I was at that festival!

I attended the Stone Lake Fest in 1980 (23 yrs old). My friends and I worked security (red T-shirts I think). Another artist there was Bo Diddley. We did not approve of Head East
playing this otherwise stellar Blues Fest. We thought they were too bubblegum :) We went as far as placing electric tape over their names on our Security
T-shirt band list. At any rate, we were concerned about a rumor that The Outlaws Motorcycle gang was planning to come in mass and they were not known
as mellow bikers to say the least. I think they and other gang bikers came, but in reasonable numbers, and caused no issues. As security folks, we basically walked the
grounds, listened to music and smoked a lot of pot (amongst other things) with everyone, including the bikers. Canned Heat was great and my wife and I saw them
a couple of years ago again in Spooner, WI (just a stones throw away from Stone Lake). Almost all original members and amazingly great sound yet. I had forgotten
about Wolfman Jack until mentioned here. Great time in what my granddaughter would call the 'olden times' :)

Last edited:
I was at that festival!
I remember the Stone Lake Festivals. I went in either 1979 or 1980. Rented a Winnebago with two of my girlfriends from Minnesota. We had a blast. We were in our early 20's.......just one big party and music fest. We were boxed in along with everyone else so you stayed the whole weekend. We brought lots of food, but I remember they had a bunch of food there you could buy. Just ran around the whole weekend without a care in the world and had a wonderful, wonderful time............I will never forget it. One of my best memories of when I was younger..........those were great times!

For three days in May 1980, when times were a little less hectic of the events of today, people, and lots of them, gathered outside of a very small town in Wisconsin(approx 500), Stone Lake, and enjoyed partying and music. From what I can remember, this expedited without any major incidents.

Our group of event goers, hailed from the Duluth, Minnesota area. We embarked mostly on iron horses(mainly Harley Davidson). Most of the camping and other necessities were transported by automobiles. My contribution of vehicle was a 67 XR7 Cougar and I rode a '80 Sportster Roadster, brand new off the show room floor from Duluth at the low price of $4200.00. It was the 1000 model. Which later on that year, is when I was lucky to get my year birth Harley(1956 Pan Head). I always felt at that particular time, that I was definitely steppin' in High Cotton(67 xr7, 80 hd, 56 hd), and being only 24 yrs old(and Not Married)and, this is the good one, Not Working. Don't worry, I paid cash for everything, all paid for, and earned the old fashion way!!!, I earned it.( LoL )

Well, this event has been long gone long time ago, and I feel not many ponder or think about this event. Most probably are not alive to do so. I am in my final year of the "50" arena, and I know a lot who were there were older than me. Only going by the life style that was eminent at the time, and considering any life changes there after.

I have found two articles from Milwaukee, Wi for a similar festival that took place one year earlier in that same small town area.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=qykEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4644,4503159&hl=en

https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=qykEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6739,4811518&hl=en

During the course of my life, I have never met another person that has ever talked about or heard about this event. I guess it is not a small world after all. ((((until very very recent)))
With the help from a recent acquaintance, it was brought to my attention that the stage in still present(in a deteriorating form).
I was there in 1979 or 1980. It was a great time........went with a couple of girlfriends...........I just remember that we had so much fun running around, drinking beer, listening to music.......not a care in the world back then............those were great times!

Was going through some old videos(old vhs tapes) and found my old T-Shirt from the Stone Lake, Wisconsin (Memorial Weekend) Music & Arts Festival May 1980. I can't find the T-Shirt anymore. I tried to do a "google" for this event, and the only thing that comes up is the Stone Lake Cranberry Festival. I had photos from the concert, but, I can't find them. I may have the negatives some where and might try and see if they are still good.

I asked one of my relatives, if they still did these concerts there, and they said no. They told me that the 1980 concert may have been the last one they did. HEADEAST head line the top list. I believe Wolfman Jack was there. I can remember Canned Heat for sure, but that is it.

Okay, anyone remember this concert, have photos, or stories. I know it was for three days at least. Like a mini woodstock.
Yes I was there...........I remember too.........had a blast with my friends...........I have picutures somewhere too.........and I had that T-shirt too!

I was At stone lake 1980 also, rode up there on a 66 triumph with no headlight
, left Mpls at midnight with 6 or so motorcycles and rode in at sunrise. Awesome weekend of partying and music, we had a white van along with signs encouraging the ladies to show off. I was 18, one friend has passed, still see a couple of the others--great memories, one buddy has pics somewhere

My brother and I and a couple of cars of friends went to Stone Lake, I think both the 1979 and 1980 editions. I was about 20 and remember having a great time. The second time I borrowed an 8mm film camera (remember those?) that had no sound, but did capture maybe 10-15 minutes of color film of various things around the festival site. I may have to look for that old film reel somewhere.

One musical memory is that a guy doing a solo acoustic set started both (all three?) days at around 11am or noon. I remember this because he did the same songs both (all three) days and the song "Ain't Nobody's Business But My Own" still rings in my head. I seem to remember Johnny Winter at one of the years but may have that wrong...

Was told that there were only three shows(venues)held in Stone Lake. I had the blue t-shirt of the one in May 1980, with no legible reading. But found a yellow poster for that show(venue). Then
I found a t-shirt that says 2nd annual, held in September, but no year date stated.

Attachments

• STONE LAKE CONCERT MAY 1980.jpg
    STONE LAKE CONCERT MAY 1980.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 40
  • STONE LAKE CONCERT  2ND  ANNUAL.jpg
    STONE LAKE CONCERT 2ND ANNUAL.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 36
I attended the Stone Lake Fest in 1980 (23 yrs old). My friends and I worked security (red T-shirts I think). Another artist there was Bo Diddley. We did not approve of Head East
playing this otherwise stellar Blues Fest. We thought they were too bubblegum :) We went as far as placing electric tape over their names on our Security
T-shirt band list. At any rate, we were concerned about a rumor that The Outlaws Motorcycle gang was planning to come in mass and they were not known
as mellow bikers to say the least. I think they and other gang bikers came, but in reasonable numbers, and caused no issues. As security folks, we basically walked the
grounds, listened to music and smoked a lot of pot (amongst other things) with everyone, including the bikers. Canned Heat was great and my wife and I saw them
a couple of years ago again in Spooner, WI (just a stones throw away from Stone Lake). Almost all original members and amazingly great sound yet. I had forgotten
about Wolfman Jack until mentioned here. Great time in what my granddaughter would call the 'olden times' :)

I was there. Don't recall the Outlaws riding up. But a club from Green Bay (?), the Drifters, who had instigated some unsavory mischief at Mole Lake the year prior were there. They were camped not far from me & I don't remember any problems.

As far as bands, IIRC, both the Guess Who and Bachman Turner Overdrive played. Randy Bachman did double duty at that festival.

this was the bike that I rode down there from Duluth, MN

Attachments

• 012 ad for the 80 HD Roadster 1000.jpg
    012 ad for the 80 HD Roadster 1000.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 23
  • 003c ad for the HD Roadster 1000.jpg
    003c ad for the HD Roadster 1000.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 013a.jpg
    013a.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 011aad for the 80 HD Roadster 100.jpg
    011aad for the 80 HD Roadster 100.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 000 at stone lake Wi May 80.jpg
    000 at stone lake Wi May 80.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 21
I was there. Hot as he'll but it wasn't supposed to be. They started every day with Marley "Jamming" playing. Wolfman Jack, Guess Who, Heat East, Iron Butterfly, Bo Diddley, MC5, Michael Quattro. I remember going to swim at the pond and In A Gods Da Vita was still playing.

My brother and I and a couple of cars of friends went to Stone Lake, I think both the 1979 and 1980 editions. I was about 20 and remember having a great time. The second time I borrowed an 8mm film camera (remember those?) that had no sound, but did capture maybe 10-15 minutes of color film of various things around the festival site. I may have to look for that old film reel somewhere.

One musical memory is that a guy doing a solo acoustic set started both (all three?) days at around 11am or noon. I remember this because he did the same songs both (all three) days and the song "Ain't Nobody's Business But My Own" still rings in my head. I seem to remember Johnny Winter at one of the years but may have that wrong...
Hi Jauron . do you have still this Stone Lake film?

I was there. Don't recall the Outlaws riding up. But a club from Green Bay (?), the Drifters, who had instigated some unsavory mischief at Mole Lake the year prior were there. They were camped not far from me & I don't remember any problems.

As far as bands, IIRC, both the Guess Who and Bachman Turner Overdrive played. Randy Bachman did double duty at that festival.

I don't recall The Guess Who being there, but do have a vague memory of Iron Butterfly, but seems I would have definitely recalled Johnny Winters. As I mentioned, plenty of mind-altering substances that weekend :) Actually, I'm surprised I recall anything between ages of 16-25..... I was likely driving either an orange (blacked-out hood) 1974/75 Opel Manta or Butterscotch 1977 Toyota Celica fastback (Mustang knock-off) in those days. The posted photos are great. Any others out there?

Back
Top Bottom