The Sound Of The City: The Music Tells The Story

poppachubby

Boo Yaka! Boo Yaka!
Hey Gang!! I am here with a really excellent venture - one that I am really excited about sharing.
Taking a page from the book thread :)smoke:), I am dedicating a thread solely to Charlie Gillett's legendary opus; The Sound Of The City. If you haven't read the book, it's most certainly required reading - telling us the story of America's great musical legacy, Rock N Roll.

sound-city-rise-rock-roll-charlie-gillett-paperback-cover-art.jpg

The revised versions included a tracklist of suggested music from Gillett himself. I have gathered the entire list, ALL 390 tunes!! To tell the story using the musical narrative, I will be using Mixcloud. It will break down into about 13 volumes. I really hope you guys will follow along as each volume comes available and share your thoughts.

Most importantly, if you haven't read the book, get it!!! Enjoy!!

The Sound Of The City Vol.1

Thanks, nice.
I read the original years ago.

I am a little confused about "vol 2". Is that the revised version he did in 1999?

My local library has the book and I've read it a few times. It's excellent and it gives some very interesting viewpoints.

Thanks, nice.
I read the original years ago.

I am a little confused about "vol 2". Is that the revised version he did in 1999?

No, in order to accomodate all of the music he listed, I am breaking it down into several "volumes". Each of which are more realistic lengths in terms of listening.

:yes:Late to the party.........
But a September day off, 27 Celsius, and volume one is jacked on the garage stereo while I hang with my kid. Oh yeah.

Streaming volume two right now.
That's a pretty sweet looking track list.

Good stuff poppa.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Streaming volume two right now.
That's a pretty sweet looking track list.

Good stuff poppa.
Thanks.

There's tons more I still need to release, but I have been lazy about it. Let me know when you are at volume 4 and I will begin adding more. Just the motivation I need.

Listened to volumes 3 and 4 last week.
Went on a road trip, and the music app I used to load up my phone with locked up. These, along with some of the Lest We Forget stuff came to the rescue. Thanks!
I kept meaning to come back to these, and this was the perfect kick in the rear.

Listened to volumes 3 and 4 last week.
Went on a road trip, and the music app I used to load up my phone with locked up. These, along with some of the Lest We Forget stuff came to the rescue. Thanks!
I kept meaning to come back to these, and this was the perfect kick in the rear.

Glad to hear it. I need to finish the series - gonna try and do it soon. The whole thing is about 330 tunes, you will love all of it Kris.

I've enjoy all of it so far.
Since we're talking about mixcloud, is there a way to download the mixes to my phone so I can listen offline? Or would I need to investigate an app to do that?
Also, any idea how much cell data I was using for each volume?

Back
Top Bottom