The Official KEF R107 Owners Registry

Figured I might as well post pix of the older KUBE that I gave a way... if only to justify the pictures I took of it.

...and here's a close u of the damaged pot.

Last edited:
Figured I might as well post pix of the older KUBE that I gave a way... if only to justify the pictures I took of it.

Thanks Frommer... does the Serial Number of the KUBE correspond to the Serial Number of the Speaker Pair? If so it looks like we've upped the R107/1 Series to 4738.

The reason I ask is your 107/2 Kube says #1627, but your speaker pair are #1585. Curious they wouldn't tag the KUBE to match the Speakers. I'll have to check mine when I get home. Both are original from what I know.

Yet more confusion on the KUBE's... :scratch2:

That is a little odd, but I can assure you the heads (#1585 R&L) came in the same box as my KUBE #1627, so I guess they either didn't bother to match them, or they changed up the numbering sequence.
Since the KUBE is numbered higher, perhaps the newer KUBE came out ahead of the /2 speakers, and a few of the last "older" R107s came with the new KUBE? That would explain the 42 "unaccounted for" KUBEs.

I do know that when I auditioned them at "The Gramophone", they had an older pair that had the three knob KUBE at the same time as the new 107/2 with it's two knob box, and I compared the two systems. As I remember it, the original pair was only a couple months old, and the /2s had just arrived... the salesman called me, knowing I was interested in them, as soon as they came in... I actually helped unpack & set them up to hear them in their listening room. I would have bought that pair right on the spot, but they were black, so I had to order the walnut. I almost just went with the older pair (they were in rosewood), but I fought off the urge for immediate gratification!

Such an awesome thread, great idea! When I get home tonight I will post the details. By the way I am recapping my heads with Dayton poly caps and should be expecting them early this week. A few caps were bad so I figured I'd go all in. STILL waiting to get my Kube back.

I should mention that my technician is having issues with located schematics for the power supply on the Kube. Please PM me if you have any info.

That is a little odd...

Well the mystery deepens! It looks like the "Mighty Matching" that KEF was known for during this period may be brought into question, or perhaps parts got shifted around within the company or at the dealers.

My "Second Gen" system is matched;

Rosewood veneer – with 2nd Gen KUBE: Serial #3583 for the speakers.
Serial #3583 for the KUBE.

However, my "First Gen" system is not matched;

Walnut veneer – with 1st Gen KUBE: Serial #1255 for the speakers.
Serial #2223 for the KUBE.

Maybe we need to quiz the guys at SpeakerTalk... because this is weird! :scratch2: Why would a company as anal as KEF about "Computer Matching" everything, allow the KUBE's to leave the company without matching Serial Numbers to verify the relationship!

Could I ask everyone to update your Posting with both your Speaker Serial Number and the KUBE Number? Please identify whether you believe or know if your KUBE is original. If you know your KUBE is NOT original, please update the Serial Number anyway so we can track the KUBE ID's.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Teak or walnut veneer...hard to tell #003222

Thanks Thunder... so you have #3222 Speakers and have paired them with #4738 KUBE from Frommer and the fact it is "Non-Captive" is baring out what Raynald speculated on, that the Captive Leads were the earliest!

Hey Thundermud are yours 107/2s or 107s?

I double checked and all the serial numbers match on mine. It's possible the KUBE was replaced at some point, it has been almost 30 years after all.

It's possible the KUBE was replaced at some point, it has been almost 30 years after all.

I have no illusions that my First-gen pair may have had the KUBE replaced after it was lost, stolen, sold or otherwise switched out...

What has me going is Frommer's pair... was his KUBE switched at the dealer or by KEF? Is it common for the KUBE's not to match the Speaker Serial # even when they were bought new? Lot's of questions I have about that! :smoke:

And for Thunder and other's, I'm sure having a non-matching KUBE is +90% of the package and much better than not having a KUBE at all! So rest easy! :thmbsp:

I have no illusions that my First-gen pair may have had the KUBE replaced after it was lost, stolen, sold or otherwise switched out...

What has me going is Frommer's pair... was his KUBE switched at the dealer or by KEF? Is it common for the KUBE's not to match the Speaker Serial # even when they were bought new? Lot's of questions I have about that! :smoke:

And for Thunder and other's, I'm sure having a non-matching KUBE is +90% of the package and much better than not having a KUBE at all! So rest easy! :thmbsp:

Having worked in the business, I can say sometimes things get switched. You might have two pairs in the store at the same time and the swap is accidental, you might be doing an install and a piece is DOA, you get another one, etc. Stuff happens.

Mine were delivered exactly as labeled on the shipping boxes by KEF in England. I don't see any way the dealer mixed up anything, they were meant to ship as they did. I suspect it wasn't a priority for KEF to keep KUBEs matched to particular speakers. Just because they tended to match drivers doesn't mean the KUBEs were "dialed in" to particular speakers... I always assumed they were all set at predetermined EQ, and would work with any speaker - in the R107 series, anyway.

Well my objective with this thread isn't to cause anyone any consternation and I have no reason to doubt what Frommer has stated, so let's just understand that some KUBE's Serial # match the Speaker Serial # and some don't.

We'll state that any disconnect between the two Serial Numbers can not be used to determine whether a KUBE is original or not. Of course if the numbers do match, the chances are obviously much better that the two are indeed a matched set.

Thanks guys!!! :thmbsp:

Add me to the registry.
KEF 107. Rosewood cabs. S/N 003306 all the numbers match.
I have RCA's on the KUBE.

Hi, I'm Dan...add me to the Kef 107 owner's registry! Just picked up Thundermud's 107's today. 11 hour drive each way...I think I may have beat SimplySound for the longest trip to pick up a pair of 107's :)

I also have a pair of 103.2's that I'm quite fond of! SimplySound, it looks like we have a lot in common...I know you love the 103.2 also.

Hi, I'm Dan...add me to the Kef 107 owner's registry! Just picked up Thundermud's 107's today. 11 hour drive each way...I think I may have beat SimplySound for the longest trip to pick up a pair of 107's :)

I also have a pair of 103.2's that I'm quite fond of! SimplySound, it looks like we have a lot in common...I know you love the 103.2 also.

We'll, I did drive from Albuquerque through Flagstaff to Tucson to get a pair. I think that was probably 18 hours round trip, so yeah Hawkeye, ya got me beat.... but oh are they so worth it!!! :yes:

Congrates on the "pickup"... and yep, the 103.2 is and awesome compliment in a "Multi-channel Setup"... You got it going on!!! :thmbsp:

Add me to the registry.
KEF 107. Rosewood cabs. S/N 003306 all the numbers match.
I have RCA's on the KUBE.

Welcome to the club Dave.... thanks for supplying your info! Looks like 3583 is still the high number for the "First Gen's". I'd say that there are maybe 4000 pairs that were built. This is good to know!!!

Last edited:
There are a pair on DaBay right now in Maryland... I emailed the owner and he sent the following...

"THEY MATCH AND IT IS ORIGINAL OWNER PAIR WITH ORIGINAL KUBE all 002545"

So it sounds like in his case the KUBE and the Speakers have a matching Serial Number.

Last edited:
I'm new and acquired 107 month ago. All serial number is 002795(Left, Right and Kube) Black. I'm at Oxnard California near Los Angeles.

Attachments

• 2795 Left.jpg
    2795 Left.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 2795 Right.jpg
    2795 Right.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 2795-KUBE.jpg
    2795-KUBE.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 36
  • kube-107.jpg
    kube-107.jpg