Yamaha M series and MX amps

Looking to get one of these! What are the differences and which one would you choose and why?

I may have missed it, but what is the rest of the system, focus on the make, model and efficiency of the speakers.

What is your budget, and do you already have a pre-amp or are you open to an integrated amp?

The Yamaha C-2 is the best preamp you can buy for less than $500. Regarding the B-6, its a PT Barnum. Design gimmick, sub par performance. The B-2 is magnificent, and not too scary to own anymore as the v-fets are available again.

I do not agree at all. The B-6, when paired with 8 Ohms speakers sounds very good. Super fast and dry bass and extraordinary wide soundstage. Muscles and no fat. In the German magazine "Stereoplay" the B-6 was rated better than an Accuphase P-400 and others.

motorstereo not really, some times people get lost and then polite people show them on the right way :)

But you are welcome.

Dr.Ear; yes I think you are right, the B-6 does not do that well with low ohms but really wll at higher ohms.

The X-power design is by Nissho Electronics Corp, but was also licensed to Carver and Benytone.
http://www.thevintageknob.org/yamaha-B-6.html

The Yamaha C-2 is the best preamp you can buy for less than $500. Regarding the B-6, its a PT Barnum. Design gimmick, sub par performance. The B-2 is magnificent, and not too scary to own anymore as the v-fets are available again.

Wait, what was that about v-fets being available? More info please!:yes:

I do not agree at all. The B-6, when paired with 8 Ohms speakers sounds very good. Super fast and dry bass and extraordinary wide soundstage. Muscles and no fat. In the German magazine "Stereoplay" the B-6 was rated better than an Accuphase P-400 and others.
Some very serious Yamaha fans love the B-6. An acquaintance who has an MX-10000 and a 101M rates the B-6 very highly. B-6's regularly sell for over $1,500 in Japan.

AFAIK they are not available. This article might have caused some confusion:

http://blog.sony.com/press/sony-dem...0th-anniversary-commemorative-vfet-amplifier/

What is possible to get today are not an equivalent of old vfets. One company that makes SiC switching Jfet transistors, made some experimental batches for analog amplifiers. They adjusted technology to get linear transfer function. But they do not produce them an mass. If you have enough money you can order a custom production run for several thousand of devices. Of cause you have to design amplifier based on specific parameters of these transistors, they are not a REPLACEMENT of old Vfets.

A friend replaced his Nakamichi amp with an MX-1000U, and it was a smart move in my opinion. As far as i was concerned, the Yamaha went beyond its price point and put forth a great performance. It was completely dependent on the preamp and source, but it just shined. I think that might have something to do with the mixed opinions- the JFet inputs are harder to drive than bipolars, and if the preamp isn't up to it, that's what you hear.

The MX-2000 was the real show stopper in terms of clarity, detail, and accuracy. Just an amazing amplifier.

Yamaha M-40

I'm happy that i found a thread dedicate to Yamaha, recently i get a FREE
Yamaha M-40 giving by a member of an electronic web site by chance living
in my area... I first thinking too good to be true but it was real!!!

The power amp miss the RCA connector and binding post speaker. The IC
RCA is connected directly on the board and speaker to wire. It will be easy
to restore the amplifier when i will have the time.

First, i was surprise by the quality of the sound with the exception that i
ear some little hash sound in the mid? But i remember the guy told me he has
changed some cap in the power amp for new one. So i start to play the power amp
every day to burn in the new cap. And WOW after at least 300 hours
i ear a sound that i never experimented before in my system.:music:

My pream is a Meridian processor who is amazing. This is my only Yamaha
power amp experience but a very good one...:yes:

Last edited:
I have a M-60, needs repair right now, and a MX-1000. I have driven both amps with a C-65 or a CX-1000. Both sound great but my favorite combo is the MX-1000 driven by the CX-1000. It is clean and well balanced from low power all the way to ear bleeding 200 plus watts being pumped.

First, i was surprise by the quality of the sound with the exception that i
ear some little hash sound in the mid? But i remember the guy told me he has
changed some cap in the power amp for new one. So i start to play the power amp
every day to burn in the new cap. And WOW after at least 300 hours
i ear a sound that i never experimented before in my system.:music:

My pream is a Meridian processor who is amazing. This is my only Yamaha
power amp experience but a very good one...:yes:

Definitely worth owning, restoring and maintaining.

Yamahas are available and affordable only because they sold so many of them. There is no doubt in my mind that the MX and M series are top shelf products, that on paper aka spec out, are equal or better than most amps at any price. The Sound speaks for itself.

I have no experience with Meridian, but can say that the top shelf Yamaha Pre-amps are every bit as good as the amps they were sold with.

Welcome to the Party......

Where are you located, France??

I have M60, M70, Mx800 and Mx-1. All are good but for some reason my ears prefer the old M70 over the other 3.

I had a M-40 and loved it. You couldn't point your finger at what it was, but it made so many speakers sound great, and then you put them on something else and was disappointed. It was particularly good at driving difficult speakers and making them sound really nice! :)

I regret selling mine.

MX-1000 and CX-1000 combo is an excellent value for the money they are selling for. Yamaha sold many of them and many are still around, besides, they do not use any unobtanium components...well, the main caps in the amp may be hard to find, but those do not usually go bad. The MX-1000 is a killer amp by most standards, giving you very clean sound and plenty of power. The CX-1000 is same as the CX-2000, except the color and the high $$$. Comes with digital input and if you find one with remote, you could not really ask for more. I listened to other combos that are supposed to be better and were way more expensive than the Yammies, and I could not say I heard any difference..but again, I do not have those magic ears that some folks have. Good Luck!

Sounds like Ferris Buehler is off again.....

M-50, M50,....

Paul

What can I say about and M-50.:scratch2: I'ts made by Yamaha and sounds good. Will only run one set of speakers at a time . Either SPKR A or SPKR B. Just like the M-70. The 220vac european models have a Yamaha recall/warning concerning Rifa "across the line" caps in the X-power supply models that tend to pose a fire hazard.
I have see these caps burn in the 120 vac models as well. Easy fix with new panasonic X rated caps.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1723037&postcount=1

Last edited:
Do you mean like this?...

What can I say about and M-50.:scratch2: I'ts made by Yamaha and sounds good. Will only run one set of speakers at a time . Either SPKR A or SPKR B. Just like the M-70. The 220vac european models have a Yamaha recall/warning concerning Rifa "across the line" caps in the X-power supply models that tend to pose a fire hazard.
I have see these caps burn in the 120 vac models as well. Easy fix with new panasonic X rated caps.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1723037&postcount=1

My M-50 blew up once. I cut up the small board and rebuilt and replaced the small cap.
See photos...

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 110
Back
Top Bottom