"Any New Age Music Listeners Out There?"

Ok thanks ken, I think that got me headed in the right direction.

After poking around a bit it would seem that "ambient" is itself a mixed group of styles, some of which have tempo and some do not. At youtube I entered "ambient" and the phrase "ambient music" popped up. Of four links I clicked two had some type of tempo and two did not. The first "song" in this mix is what I was thinking of - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Tbvah7waU

At Wikipedia the ambient music page describes 6 genres derived from or related to ambient music. Going by those descriptions, all of the sub-genres of ambient might incorporate rhythm of some sort.

But the closest thing to what I was searching for may be a sub-set of the ambient sub-genre that they are calling "Space Music".

"Space music ranges from simple to complex sonic textures sometimes lacking conventional melodic, rhythmic, or vocal components,[20][21] generally evoking a sense of "continuum of spatial imagery and emotion",[22] beneficial introspection, deep listening[23] and sensations of floating, cruising or flying.[24][25]"

Last edited:
I got some Gregorian Chants albums. Is that New Age-ish?

It's strange I like them. I don't know why I like them, but I hope one day science may explain this.

I have the usual boring old school chants, but I much prefer them doing more modern numbers. Hearing Comfortably Numb in Gregorian chant is quite cool.
I listen to quite a bit of Medieval music, chant part of the mix. I'm not big on putting music into pigeon holes so I'm not sure what qualifies as "New Age" really. I do put on some Andreas Vollenweider from time to time, a bit of Enya on occasion. Plenty of Tangerine Dream in the collection and I was litening to some earlier tonight. Quite a bit of contemporary classical has similarities, such composers as Gavin Bryars. In a sense it is more about music with a certain mood or attitude than an exact style perhaps?

Last edited:
Don't forget about "Hearts of Space" broadcasts with Stephen Hill. I think they have been broadcasting since the early seventies.

Everyone knows that if you listen to Rock music backwards, you get Satanic messages.

And if you play Country music backwards, you get your gun back, your dog back, your truck back, your house back, then, finally, your wife back.

So, what do you get if you play New Age music backwards??

-k

Would be easier if there was a "like" function here. :)

Vangelis
Kitaro
Govi

for me.

Don't forget about "Hearts of Space" broadcasts with Stephen Hill. I think they have been broadcasting since the early seventies.
Along with many compilations available on CD of the content. I have Universe 3, Universe 4 and the Absolute Sound collection (Harry Pearson was a fan).

I listen to a great deal of that genre. It was back in '82 or so at a record shop that I first heard George Winston and Michael Hedges...

It seems to me that "New Age" is a vague grouping that includes many different sub-genres. I am looking for what I believe to be a sub-set of New Age.

What I am curious about is a type of music where there is no discernible tempo. Not to say that there is an absence of drums or percussion, although neither of these would be necessary for the musical style that I am thinking of.

A kind of floating, drifting, ethereal sound where, again, there is no tempo.

In post #27 Kreshna used the phrase "ambient trance" and I thought that might be a match. But I checked out all of those links and each selection did have a discernible tempo. All very nice sounding stuff but not what I am trying to describe here.

Anybody know what it is I am grasping for here, lol? Does it have a name?

Genre naming and parsing has become a joke. It's not like there is a central authority in control of what various constituencies decide to label music.

Try figuring out what kind of "metal" or "punk" a given song is using Wikipedia.

-k

After reading the many posts on this thread I have come to my own conclusion regarding "New Age" music. There appears to be two separate and distinct camps. One is into the really spacey surreal, almost holistic side of New Age, the other into more modern and upbeat stuff. I am of the latter camp myself but upon occasion do give a listen to something from the other camp that actually does sound pretty darn good to me. One group comes to mind, that being 2002. They can get into some spacey type stuff but also turn out some interesting music that actually does have a both a beat and a good rhythm to it. Again, my favorite artists run along the lines of Medwan Goodall, Patrick O'Hearn, David Arkenstone, Cusco, Max Lasser's Ark and Chris Spheeris but I also have a nice library full of Yanni, Enya, Checkfield (anyone remember them?)Tangerine Dream, Ray Lynch, even some Johannes Schmoeling and several others in this genre of artists. Sadly there are few if any FM stations broadcasting New Age type music anymore so that's one reason I no longer use my FM tuner and have gone to the satellite dish channels that still have a dedicated New Age channel when I want some background music, etc. I am still surprised that this thread got as many posts as it has so far, thanks to everyone who contributed.............:thmbsp:

After reading the many posts on this thread I have come to my own conclusion regarding "New Age" music. There appears to be two separate and distinct camps.

Somewhere in the nebula also resides the Electronic genre.

A rose by any other name....

I happen to be your school TSOQ when it comes to New Age, which in the beginning was called "Space music", which meant the "space" between your ears. You mention so many of my favorite artists and ones I have in my collection. to your names I add:

Ron Sunsinger,
Isao Tomita
Kitaro,
Vangalis,
Paul Horn,
Diane Arkenstone,
Biddu
Wendy Carlos (Sonic Seasonings,1972)
Clannad
Coyote Oldman
Constance Demby
Deuter
Christopher Franke
Philip Glass
Mark Isham
Jean Michel Jarre
Secret Garden
Paul Winter

also on CBC Radio2..weeknights at 10...The Signal.
Pretty much my favourite radio program. I wish they had not cut back its time slot. If you have a really good tuner and system to back it up the sonic results can be pretty astounding sometimes.

A. Produce
Bruce BecVar
Dead Can Dance
Daniel Lanois
Hilary Stagg
Harold Budd (he really deserves to be mentioned again)

I thought that some of The Moody Blues material fit the New Age label, as well as Mike Oldfield and even Tonto's Expanding Head Band.

transmaster: I see several you listed below that I also have and like. The list is almost endless and I find that when I do listen to one of the satellite dish New Age music channels I am constantly finding artists I take a liking to and then buying them either online or at my local music shop if they are able to get them for me. I'll throw in a couple more that I don't believe have been mentioned yet........B-Tribe and Harrison Edwards. Both have interesting styles and again, found them on those satellite channels a while back.....

I happen to be your school TSOQ when it comes to New Age, which in the beginning was called "Space music", which meant the "space" between your ears. You mention so many of my favorite artists and ones I have in my collection. to your names I add:

Ron Sunsinger,
Isao Tomita
Kitaro,
Vangalis,
Paul Horn,
Diane Arkenstone,
Biddu
Wendy Carlos (Sonic Seasonings,1972)
Clannad
Coyote Oldman
Constance Demby
Deuter
Christopher Franke
Philip Glass
Mark Isham
Jean Michel Jarre
Secret Garden
Paul Winter

I'm not at all sure what qualifies, but I do enjoy Yanni quite a bit, and also put on Vangelis, Kitaro, DeVorzon, Osamu Kitajima, and a few others from time to time. I saw Spyro Gyra listed earlier, and if that qualifies as NewAge, then my list grows considerably!!!

I agree that the whole "genre" thing is arbitrary. A lot of the old stuff I listen to is "Rock" (Poco, Eagles, PPL, Charlie Daniels, Marshall Tucker, and many, many, others) yet today acts like Jason Aldean are "Country". Go Figure!

Though I do not consider myself a New Age music listener per se, I will, on occasion, listen to this type of music. While there are many styles or forms of music within this genre the most popular are those artists that appear on the Windham Hill label: specifically, George Winston, Michael Hedges, Wim Mertens, David Arkenstone, Jean Michael Jarre, and Alex De Grassi to name a few. Windham Hill also has plenty of Collections and Samplers. For example, Windham Hill offers a complete Piano collection, a complete Guitar collection, and something they call a "Wood and Wire" collection. Other artists grouped into this genre are Enya, and Kitaro. which I also happened to enjoy. Then you have those artists who are on the fringes of this genre which include Tuck Andress and Patti Cathcart (commonly referred to as Tuck and Patti), Zero 7, and Tuatara, although Tuatara might be stretching it a bit. One of my favorite forms of New Age is the soothing and healing sounds of R. Carlos Nakai and his amazing Native American flute. This stuff is awesome. Check it out for yourself. May I suggest "A Winter's Solstice" offered by Windham Hill, George Winston's "December", and Wim Merten's "Close Cover". Any of the Tuck and Patti, Enya , and Kitaro is solid.
I can't say enough about R. Carlos Nakai; anything by him is superb. Then when I'm in one of those "out of the ordinary" moods I'll listen to Zero 7 or Tuatara. If you are not prepared, Tuatara can be a bit strange. Check out "Falling Pianos" on their The Loading Program CD . Also check out their Trading with the Enemy CD. Hope this helps!

Yes.

My artist list includes Checkfield, Special E/FX, Richard Souther, John Jarvis, David Lanz and Paul Speer, Acoustic Alchemy to name a few. Have to be in the mood.

A couple of artists generally not associated with "New Age" music have produced very interesting albums in the genre....

Dan Hartman - Yes, the man we associated with "I Can Dream About You" and "Instant Replay". His last solo album of new material, "New Green Clear Blue", was released on the Private Music label (Yanni, Patrick O'Hearn). Obviously influenced by Eno and Vangelis, it shows a very interest side of an artist who died way too young.

Fireman - this guy was in some obscure band called The Beatles and achieved massive success as a solo artist. However, he chose to use the occupation of his late father as a name under which to release electronic instrumentals. Some pretty good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom