Picked up this Vector Research V-5000 today. Service manual, experience?

AintBeenDead

Picked this up today. Looks real cool, build quality looks very good. Powered with no short, relay went off. So far, so good. I'll let it warm a few hours before testing offset. From the dust build up, it clearly sat a long time.

Anyone have first hand experience, opinions on the unit? Also, anyone have the service manual? Can't find it myself if it's out there. Looks to potentially have DMM test point, and trim pots for ether bias or mid-point. Would be nice to adjust, if so.

Regardless, neat looking unit. No idea on specs either, but looks in the 35-45 range if I was gonna guess.

Attachments

• IMG_1315.jpg
    IMG_1315.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 148
Can't help but I will say I always liked the way these looked back in the late 70's, did not realize that they were a "store brand" like the MCS series was for Pennys.

Can't help but I will say I always liked the way these looked back in the late 70's, did not realize that they were a "store brand" like the MCS series was for Pennys.

I didn't know that either. What store?

Been looking for half an hour, finding very little :(

I remember Vector Research was sold by Tech Hi-Fi stores during the 70s - 80s here in the Detroit area and I assume their other Mid-west stores.

I bought one at an estate sale a few years ago for $40. A nice performing unit with good looks.

Go to Hi-Fi Engine and search for the owners manual.

www.hifiengine.com/

I remember Vector Research was sold by Tech Hi-Fi stores during the 70s - 80s here in the Detroit area and I assume their other Mid-west stores.

I bought one at an estate sale a few years ago for $40. A nice performing unit with good looks.

Go to Hi-Fi Engine and search for the owners manual.

www.hifiengine.com/

Tried there first, just a request. Plus I need the service (well, both).

I have the baby brother of that one...still going strong after 27 years, one service call in there that I can remember. They are pretty good/reliable.

I have a Flyer that I just dug out of my pile of vintage stereo mags and brochures. For the VR-5000 it says 45wpc at 8 ohms .07% distortion and 55 wpc at 4 ohms. Also the VR-9000 is 80wpc at 8 ohms and 90wpc at 4 ohms. I remember they sold thse receicers at World Radio here in Iowa..

I have a Flyer that I just dug out of my pile of vintage stereo mags and brochures. For the VR-5000 it says 45wpc at 8 ohms .07% distortion and 55 wpc at 4 ohms. Also the VR-9000 is 80wpc at 8 ohms and 90wpc at 4 ohms. I remember they sold thse receicers at World Radio here in Iowa..

Right on! Thanks. So I've never heard of either of the stores mentioned. Was this one, or the other 'gregj' mentioned, chain stores? Say similar to Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc, but maybe on a smaller scale?

These were sold at the catalog showrooms like brendles and service merchandise in the southeast also.

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

did not realize that they were a "store brand" like the MCS series was for Pennys.

They weren't. That was my first real receiver. I bought it at Tweeter Etc., in Boston, circa 1985. It was so long ago that I wouldn't feel qualified to give an opinion on how it sounded, but I really liked it at the time. I keep my eyes open for one now, just for nostalgia sake.

What kind of store was "World Radio"? And where were they located generally? And are they still around?

I'm curious because I have a set of 1960s vintage Utah 3-Way Bookshelf Speakers that said "World Radio" on the back of one of them on a brown sticker.
The Utah's by the way were a Salvation Army Thriftstore find for $3 for the set.

Sorry if this post was a bit off topic but I was wanting to know a bit more about that store because I saw that name on the back of my speakers and I didn't know what it was until I saw the name mentioned in here.

World Radio

World Radio was a small stereo store (about the size of Radio Shack) that sold receives tapedecks speakers turntables and RCA tv's. The brands I remember were A.D.S. EPI Fisher Cerwin Vega JVC as far as speakers. Other equipment- Akia, Scott, Technics, Pioneer, Vecter Research, Proton, and others I don't remember. I beleive they were a midwest region Company that went out of business around 1990. Stores I remember were in Waterloo, Ia DesMoines, I still have a receipt somewhere in my box of old stereo papers. I'll see if it has a district office on it. Hope this helps. The competition across the street was Team Electronics.

The story on VR I remember from way back when ......

That a couple of NAD engineers went off on their own to form the brand. Who knows for sure?

Great sounding gear none the less!

The Integrated amplifier they made was a very nice sounding unit!

Barney

I have a VRX-7000 at work hooked up to some 600i B&Ws streaming Sirius XM.

These are sweet sounding amps....
and cheap. Why pay all that on Marantz when these to my ears sound sort of the same.
I have a NAD too....

I ran across this link while looking at some older Vector Research threads:

http://audiotools.com/dead_d.html

(look for the Danmark Industries entry)

I have a VR-7000 receiver and have always considered it a very nice under the radar piece. I really need to put it back into rotation.

BTW, the VR-7000 was made in Japan from 1978-83, 65wpc/8, 105wpc/4, weighs 30lbs and sold for $550 msrp. The amp is direct coupled and I have it in my notes that it uses two pair of NEC output transistors. 3 gang on the FM.

Last edited:
World Radio was a small stereo store (about the size of Radio Shack) that sold receives tapedecks speakers turntables and RCA tv's. The brands I remember were A.D.S. EPI Fisher Cerwin Vega JVC as far as speakers. Other equipment- Akia, Scott, Technics, Pioneer, Vecter Research, Proton, and others I don't remember. I beleive they were a midwest region Company that went out of business around 1990. Stores I remember were in Waterloo, Ia DesMoines, I still have a receipt somewhere in my box of old stereo papers. I'll see if it has a district office on it. Hope this helps. The competition across the street was Team Electronics.

Thanks alot for the info. Now I know a little bit more of the history behind my speakers. :yes: :scratch2:

As I'm learning more, and more. Growing up in a small Nebraska town sure limits you :)

I've yet to hear of a single one of those stores (aside from a mention of Wards) or of those type of catalog stores.

As I'm learning more, and more. Growing up in a small Nebraska town sure limits you :)

I've yet to hear of a single one of those stores (aside from a mention of Wards) or of those type of catalog stores.

Well Living in a small town in Indiana kind of limits you as well, I kind of have to find out about stuff by looking it up online because I might come across something at the thriftstore or the antique mall or the flea market that I've never heard of before and then I look it up and then come to find out it was made not too far from me or something. So yeah it definitely pays to research stuff. :) :yes:

I have the 7000 myself, picked it up along with a cassette deck and EQ.

Like mentioned above, I remember World Radio carrying this brand back in the day.

World Radio, Team Electronics, & Electronics Center were the big three for mid-fi gear then.

Back
Top Bottom