Heresy K-22-k or k-24-k: what's the difference?

alextg89

AK Member
So, I ordered a replacement woofer for my Heresy the other day. I went on Ebay and ordered a K-22-k, because that what I thought it was....

When I looked at my original woofer again, I realized it's a K-24-k. I've never heard of that.

Does anyone know what is the difference between the two? Is the world going to fall apart if I run one k-22 and one k-24? The other woofer is fine, I don't want to replace both, but if it's going to sound bad then I have too....

Any thoughts?

Sounds like you've got a very late model Heresy I or a Heresy II. The K24 has some slightly different parameters over the K22, but is not as revolutionary as the K28 as used in the Heresy III. Ideally you should have both woofers be the same (maybe check the other speaker and see if it is sporting a K24 - it could be that the K24 that is broken is a replacement part itself). If the other speaker is also a K24 it would be best to send back the K22 and get a K24.

-D

Thank you Derevka.

I just installed the k-22. The other speaker does have a k-24. So they're mismatched atm.

I'm currently listening to it and it sounds fantastic though (I also just installed some Crites crosses). Of course, the point is that it probably sounds better with matching woofers.

What I'll probably do is try to find a matching k-22, because I didn't see any k-24s. If I see a k-24 on barter town or eBay I'll try to pick it up. But for now It'll do.

I believe the K-22 is an 8 ohm woofer while the K-24 is 4 ohms. There should be differences in the crossovers to accommodate them so you should really replace with the original type. K-24s do show up on eBay although not as often as the K-22s. I just bought one two days ago and there was a pair listed last week that didn't sell. They'll likely be back up again in a week or two. Just be patient.

I stand corrected: the K-24-K is 8 ohm

Last edited:
I just replaced the crossovers with Crites crossovers. I wonder which one those crossovers are designed for. He only makes one type for heresy II as far as I saw. I'll email him and find out...

Bob replicates Klipsch crossovers exactly. bob's networks will be the same as what was factory installed only with new capacitors. Hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.

Thank you Moray James.

This is what Bob said to me in an Email this morning:

"The Heresy II should have originally had the K-24. In reality, there is very little difference in performance between the K-24 and K-22 in a Heresy or Heresy II. Both of those woofers are 8 ohm. The newer K-28 in the Heresy III is a 4 ohm. When they were still building the K-24, Klipsch also sold them as replacements for the K-22 in the Heresy I.

One thing to consider, two woofers of different ages may sound somewhat different even if they were equivalent woofers when they were both new. Our CW1228 woofer is a better replacement for either the K-22 or K-24.

The CW1228s are $200.00 per pair plus $20.00 for shipping in the US."

So I can run this for the time being, it should sound ok, but it's better if it's a matching set, whatever it is.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Yes, you can run like this just fine.

These are great speakers (Heresy IIs) and should provide you with lots of musical enjoyment. Pair them with a good subwoofer and they'll sound far more balanced as the design is quite bass-shy in spite of the 12" woofers.

FWIW, the best thing (I've found) for a Heresy or Heresy II if you plan on keeping them long-term is to upgrade it to Heresy III specs. You can order an upgrade kit from Klipsch, or you can do what I did and scrounge replacement parts - e.g. finding a set of K792 tweeters off of the Klipsch forums and replacing the phenolic diaphragms with titanium diaphragms from Bob Crites, ordering a set of K53Ti midranges from Klipsch (you have to fudge the truth when ordering these) and a set of K28 woofers (they appear on eBay around every 6 months or so at a good price - I believe I paid $60/pr. for mine). The best crossover replacement I've found is that ALK Cornscala/Wall universal with some changes to component values (PM me if you are interested and I'll send you the details).

-D

ok, thanks!

I'm going to start researching subwoofers. Are there any that you recommend to pair with the Heresys?

ok, thanks!

I'm going to start researching subwoofers. Are there any that you recommend to pair with the Heresys?

I've had good success with the HSU STF-2 as well as a DIY NHT 1259 powered by a 200W plate amp. The former went a bit deeper, but the latter had faster bass (probably due to it being an acoustic suspension design). Ironically, most Klipsch subwoofers should be avoided as they tend to sound very muddy.

-D

I've had good success with the HSU STF-2 as well as a DIY NHT 1259 powered by a 200W plate amp. The former went a bit deeper, but the latter had faster bass (probably due to it being an acoustic suspension design). Ironically, most Klipsch subwoofers should be avoided as they tend to sound very muddy.

-D

Not if you have the gain set low. I purchased 2 ofl of these used 6 years ago liked them fine and purchased a new one on Black Friday for $249.00 shipped.
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Sub-12HG-Synergy-300-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B003VIWK0G I use two in the den with Cornwalls (fronts) for HT and sometimes 2.2 stereo. The 3rd one is in the bedroom with my Heresy II. Just keep the gain set low and you will be surprised how nice these entry level subs sound. Just don't ask them to shake a large room .If I turn UP the gain on them....Yes.... they don't have accurate bass but my den is small as is my bedroom so they have served he well for 7 years now.

Here is another nice entry level sub if you have a small room http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M if I had the $$ sure a SVS etc would have More kick to it but for us retired folks the Klipsch have served me well for many years. pass on the 10" and smaller Klipsch subs they had power supply problems from being pushed TOO hard in most cases. Again just don't ask a entry level sub to do too much.YMMV just posting my experiences with many years of use now. Small room is the key for entry level subs.

Alex, wondering if you still have that extra K-22-K. The magnet on one of my woofers shifted and the coil is seized. Looking for a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom