The best tuner ever

McIntosh MR 88 best new FM tuner in audio quality and among the best new tuners in RF capabilities. The best HD tuner available and our radio station group's HD reference monitor. Even better audio than our Day-Sequerra HD modulation monitor (which actually cost more money). Eats Magnum-Dynalab for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack. :tresbon: Superb analog RF capabilities and sonics to boot, comparable to a good MR 74 or MR 77 for analogue. Timeless McIntosh styling and nice analogue dial. A pleasure to use and cherish!
My understanding is the that FM/HD/AM of the MR88 is the same as in the TM2 tuner module that was in the McIntosh MA6600 integrated amp I used for a couple of years. While good, the analog was not up to the standards of the fully refurbished McIntosh MR80, Sony ST-J75, Yamaha T-85 and, especially the Accuphase T-106 that were used along with it. The only advantage it had was during poor listening conditions the HD was considerably less susceptible to noise generated by stormy weather (isn't that a song ;)). While 'good', definitely not great to my ears. The Accuphase T-106 remains at the top-o-the-heap for best sonics and T-85 for best reception for me.

I still have a lot of shootouts to do (No I'm not the TIC guy) before I know which is best, but the Dyna FM-3 was my gateway drug to tube tuners. Alas it is quite susceptible to noise caused by HD radio broadcasts but for many users that will not matter. I for one hate magic eye tuning indicators and found the tuning of the FM-3 fiddly but not a fatal flaw. Enjoy!

Denon TU-500

I have a Denon TU-500 that amazes me. You forget you are listening to FM. Looks cool too.

Out of 30 or so FM tuners, best sounding are the Fisher tube units. If having a 12AU7 in audio amplifier out, I swap with E80cc or Brimar 13D5. Second is a SS Scott LT112 or 312. Third is Citation 18.

Here are some tuners I've had good experiences with and would recommend to others.

- Sansui TU-D99AMX (especially if you want to hear an AM stereo station)
- Carver TX11a (almost reaches the performance of Sony's XDR-F1HD)
- Kenwood KT-880 (very basic, but good performance and great bass)
- Kenwood KT-880 D (almost if not totally quiet FM stereo reception)
- Sony XDR-F1HD (hands down the best analog FM performance I've heard)

Sansui's TU-D99AMX also seems to be quite a performer when listening to FM. It's quiet, clear and well balanced...just generally enjoyable to listen to.

Tuners I've had middling to poor results with:

- Denon TU680NAB
- Meduci Pro1K AM stereo tuner (unstable, touchy and prone to drifting)

I wouldn't say the Denon TU680NAB is a bad tuner, but my example just doesn't sound all that good when listening to FM stations. It's fine on AM.

i have a technics that i have found to be very good

and heres a pic ,how would you rate this against your one:) be very interesting

Last edited:
I have a T-2. It's a fine tuner, but the sensitivity isn't what you'd think it be when considering the number of gangs in the front end. I aligned it and it does very well, but then the F-93 is pretty much a world beater when used with a MD-205. That's probably why some hate on it for the sound. It sounds a whole lot like a 9800 to me. But with better shielding. Trying to find the "best" tuner is a fool's errand, because nobody lives in exactly the same place. Everything's relative.

Last edited:
I have a T-2. It's a fine tuner, but the sensitivity isn't what you'd think it be when considering the number of gangs in the front end. I aligned it .............
Am thinking this could be the problem. ;) My T-2 was gone through by a pro and selling it was one of my biggest gear phoo paws (faux pas).

Interesting. My T-2 hasn't been aligned but there's nothing wrong with it's sensitivity. It's also excellent at separating stations when the band gets crowded during big tropo or E-skip openings.

I was a little apprehensive about how it would perform when I pulled the trigger on it because I'd never bought any hi-fi that old before but it exceeded my expectations, even given the review on TIC.

Regards,
Nick

My T-2 is aligned. (I did it myself) but it is very HIGHLY temperature/environment eccentric. I keep it out in my workshop. I've got a 93 and 91 Elite, a 9500 II and 9800, a 449 in my Garage. So, yeah...I'm in the tank for Pioneer, but that's why there are Fords and Chevys......

For all-around great, solid sound, easy of maintenance, RF performance, and good looks, I say the Sony ST-5000fw.

I love my MR-71, Sherwood S-3000V, Yamaha T-2, etc, etc, etc. But the Sony gets the most ear time.

At least when I'm home and not on the road living on a hotel room, then it's the Tivoli Model 2.

I see this is an old thread but lately I have been gathering a stable of very nice sounding tuners. My rating will be purely for sound quality only, not sensitivity or great selectivity. I live in an area where I have several great stations where all out DX'ing capability is not a big issue with me. I'll also say, I've become quite a tuner collector. I've been bitten by the bug. Many of my tuners have been modified and many have been aligned by a properly trained/equipped technician. My favorites for sound are:

1. Sansui TU-9900. Highly modded/alighned by Mike Williams in 2010.
2. (Tie) HK Citation 18. Highly modified by me, but as of yet, no professional alignment done. This is scary because the tuner already sounds great. Accuphase T-100 with full Joseph Chow treatment
3. Pioneer TX-9500II. Also modified/aligned by Mike Williams

Work in Progress: Mitsubishi DA-F20. I have just completed the power supply mods seen at FMTUNERINFO.com I have been working with one of the tuner gurus at FMTUNERINFO getting more mod ideas for this tuner. This tuner may become the new #1. It's that good already and I haven't even started the other mods beyond the power supply.

Honorable mention: Concur with opinions here about the Sherwood S3000 (and S2000/2100) series of tube tuners. These with good alignment just shine for sound quality.

I have "close" to a tie with these two. (not saying who wins :) )

Marantz 10b and Scott 4310

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 208
Back
Top Bottom