KLH Model 23 Resto and Info

doctorolds

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I just finished the restoration of a pair of KLH Model 23's and thought I would share a few pictures and the wiring diagram for others since I could not find it on the web anywhere. I hate to say it but they sold to the first guy that called me. Anything that could have been done was performed except I did not replace the resistors on the crossover. The paint I used was ACE Premium Enamel, Chocolate Brown in a satin finish. Just thought I would mention that I do not recommend taking the pot's apart for a thorough cleaning since they are very difficult to re-assemble but it can be done.

Attachments

• KLH 23 050.jpg
    KLH 23 050.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 311
  • KLH 23 049.jpg
    KLH 23 049.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 335
  • KLH 23 048.jpg
    KLH 23 048.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 278
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 293
  • KLH 23 Wiring.jpg
    KLH 23 Wiring.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Cap replacement? That cap(4uf) is one of the infamous black and red caps that KLH used that would increase in value(more than 10%) thus throwing off the crossover. Everything else looks wonderful. How much did they go for?
Sincerely,
Rick

Cap replacement? That cap(4uf) is one of the infamous black and red caps that KLH used that would increase in value(more than 10%) thus throwing off the crossover. Everything else looks wonderful. How much did they go for?
Sincerely,
Rick

Yes, of course I replaced the death cap, the picture is just for reference. I sold them for $350 by the way. You may think that is way overpriced, but labor and materials add up quickly. If they would not have sold I would have had no problem keeping them in my collection. I have 2 pair of Model 5's that are next in line for restoration and I did not mind letting the 23's go.

Glad you replaced those "death caps". I have a pair of KLH 33s that has them also, I just have to get to them. $350 is a fair price for those with all the work you put into them-great job.
Sincerely,
Rick

Thanks for the feedback, they did turn out almost perfect except for a couple of deep scratches that I decided not to remove because of the risk in sanding through the veneer.

I noticed the picture of the wiring diagram is not very clear, but if you need a clearer picture just PM me with your email address and I will send it to you.

I just finished bringing back a pair of Fives except for refinishing the wood. Great sounding speaker.

I just finished the restoration of a pair of KLH Model 23's and thought I would share a few pictures and the wiring diagram for others since I could not find it on the web anywhere. I hate to say it but they sold to the first guy that called me. Anything that could have been done was performed except I did not replace the resistors on the pot. The paint I used was ACE Premium Enamel, Chocolate Brown in a satin finish. Just thought I would mention that I do not recommend taking the pot's apart for a thorough cleaning since they are very difficult to re-assemble but it can be done.

Those are gorgeous. Oddly enough, I tend to favor my 23's over my 5's when playing alone. But I think that is partially because they are such a nice cabinet design, their just nice to look at. Together, stacked it's oh, so sweet. You've inspired me to refinish my 23's. :D

AR surround treatment

I hoping you post the fives and show us your work. I have 2 pr. and 2 bottles of Ar-surround treatment lol. But the electronic work will be my first soldering job, not counting tinning my speaker wire ends. Good luck and keep us posted:yes:

I wouldn't let the AR stuff set for too long. I've had it go semi solid in just a few weeks after ordering. I've heard he's changing the bottle type to correct this problem. Just sayin. Eric

beautiful job and well done. You deserve to get top dollar when you do top restoration. People are willing to pay premium for premium product.

Those cabinets are just stunning and your brown paint looks great.

I LOVE looking at pictures like these - thanks for sharing! :thmbsp:

beautiful job and well done. You deserve to get top dollar when you do top restoration. People are willing to pay premium for premium product.
Those cabinets are just stunning and your brown paint looks great.
I LOVE looking at pictures like these - thanks for sharing! :thmbsp:

Thanks a lot. I tried to find the brown paint that you had used but had to resort to what was available. I think it was close enough.

Your 28's are awesome also, can't wait to see final pictures and comments when completed.

I wouldn't let the AR stuff set for too long. I've had it go semi solid in just a few weeks after ordering. I've heard he's changing the bottle type to correct this problem. Just sayin. Eric

Get some toluene and add some back and it's good as new. I had to do this to several jars.

Your Twenty-threes Camelot gorgeous! The one pair of KLH's on my bucket list.

Glenn

Your Twenty-threes Camelot gorgeous! The one pair of KLH's on my bucket list.

Glenn

Thank you Glenn! I have sold both 5's and 23's, and if I didn't have a few more pair of 5's I would have kept the 23's for my own. I did like the sound and looks of the 23's but I personally think the 5's are just a bit better.

Thanks a lot. I tried to find the brown paint that you had used but had to resort to what was available. I think it was close enough.

Your 28's are awesome also, can't wait to see final pictures and comments when completed.

The brown you selected looks excellent. No problem with that at all!

Thank you Glenn! I have sold both 5's and 23's, and if I didn't have a few more pair of 5's I would have kept the 23's for my own. I did like the sound and looks of the 23's but I personally think the 5's are just a bit better.

The Fives were meant to compete with the AR3s's, so I would expect them to sound better. A bit more of everything, compared to my Six's, which the Twenty Threes are an improvement over. Would like a pair some day anyway.

New Set of 23's

Picked up another pair of 23's for restoration. They are in very good shape, except they are way to shiny for my taste. The previous owner said they only have Minwax Tung oil on them. I guess I have to find some extra time for these, more pictures to come.

Attachments

• KLH 23-2 003.jpg
    KLH 23-2 003.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 117
  • KLH 23-2 002.jpg
    KLH 23-2 002.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 117
  • KLH 23-2 001.jpg
    KLH 23-2 001.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Finally Completed

I know that it has only been about 3 1/2 years since I purchased the above set of 23's, but I finally completed them. I started them while I was still in Tennessee and brought them with me to Arkansas about 2 years ago. I now have limited time and space to work on my audio projects since moving, but I try to enjoy the time I do get to work on things. Here are a few pictures of the completed project.

Attachments

• KLH 23 II 001.jpg
    KLH 23 II 001.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 88
  • KLH 23 II 004.jpg
    KLH 23 II 004.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 86
  • KLH 23 II 005.jpg
    KLH 23 II 005.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Back