Don't like Sony MDR-7506

wetshaver

I've owned these for some years now having bought them to use, initially, for music recording. However, if I use them with my audio systems (Yamaha RX-V990, Marantz PM8004) I find the bass too boomy. Are they just not designed to use as home audio cans or is it just me who doesn't want to hear a lot of bass?

I also find them very uncomfortable and have had to replace the pads (to no benefit other than replace the flaking coating.

I loved my old Sennheiser HD 414's and someone suggested I might prefer the Grado SR80E's instead. Meanwhile, the Sony's just sit in a cabinet with my cassette tapes...

I got a pair of the Grado SR80E's yesterday and for me, they are a vast improvement over the Sony's in every aspect. They remind me a bit of my long gone Sennheiser HD 414's.

The MDR-7506's were my go-to headphones for many years. I worked in public radio and those were (and I think still are) the standard in the radio industry. That said, I found them to be pretty bright as far as headphones go. Not extremely bassy, but a little uncomfortable for long listening sessions. If they're just collecting dust, you might as well sell them. Keep some poor kid from blowing all his savings on a pair of overpriced Beats. :music:

Replacement pads won't fix the boomy bass these exhibit.

**EDIT by MODERATOR--Self promotion is a no no.** :nono:

Last edited by a moderator:
I too, am not a fan of the Sony MDR-7506, although there are many who are. They're pretty much standard in the broadcast industry.

I agree with you 100% that the Grado SR80 is a vast improvement and really in a different league in terms of overall performance, yet costs the same. My only issue with the Grado is that it was physically uncomfortable for me and hence they were sold after a few years of trying to get used to them. Others are perfectly fine with the comfort factor so YMMV.

I got a pair of the Grado SR80E's yesterday and for me, they are a vast improvement over the Sony's in every aspect.

Horses for courses, right? I'm well aware of the Sony's popularity in recording studios and that was the main reason I bought them. I find them miserable to wear. The Grados aren't perfect but far more comfortable for me, especially after installing some yellow Senn HD 414 pads as replacements. But I'm not a huge fans of headphones for normal listening as I prefer to listen to speakers across from where I'm sitting. They're used mostly late at night when playing through speakers might be disturbing in the house. As our nearest neighbors are a half mile away, that's not an issue.

The Bad With a coiled, pro-style cable and lack of an inline remote/microphone, some will find the 7506s less mobile-friendly than more modern headphones.

Boomy bass? Really? That's not something the 7506s really have. There are other problems, like the brightness up top which is probably there for "tracking" purposes. I suspect it must be a lack of synergy with your equipment because I've NEVER experienced excess bass from the Sonys.

You want "booming" bass. Get your ears on some ATH-M50s (Audio Technica). That's BOOMY bass and recessed mids! Sonys are nowhere near those. Actually, they test "reasonably" flat.

As mentioned. Just get rid of them if they're not your cup of tea. And go with some Grados. I certainly do not care for those but a lot do?

cnh2

Boomy bass? Really? That's not something the 7506s really have. There are other problems, like the brightness up top which is probably there for "tracking" purposes. I suspect it must be a lack of synergy with your equipment because I've NEVER experienced excess bass from the Sonys.

You want "booming" bass. Get your ears on some ATH-M50s (Audio Technica). That's BOOMY bass and recessed mids! Sonys are nowhere near those. Actually, they test "reasonably" flat.

+1. I have never heard a pair exhibit booming bass, at all. I suspect there is something else going on in your system. They can be a bit bright, but pretty smooth even when bright. Personally, I thought about buying another pair to re-cable them with a short straight cable.

I had a set of Sony MDR-v6 cans for around 15 years. Loved them. Swapped out the pads and the bass was slightly better and the cans more comfy. I have heard the 7506 and would agree that the bass is a bit boomier.

As for comfort they are both pretty comfortable, more so once the pads are swapped out. Grado cans are by far one of the more uncomfortable cans I've worn. They are fine for less than an hour at a time but after the first hour my ears start to ache. Not to mention the brightness of the cans get fatiguing after awhile.

I own a set of Grado 325i cans and though I like them I have to admit the Sony's are more comfy to me.

I agree, the Sony 7506 are not boomy. They are a pretty great headphone if you're not worried about being stylish and want a set that really replicates the music the way it was recorded. I think something is going on with your setup?? If you are not using them, I'd sell them. Yuo might get a big $$$ in Canada. I had to buy mine in the US

Yeah I would'nt call my 7506's bass "boomy" either.

I personally love mine,have had the same ones since '04 and they have'nt lost anything over that time frame,the phrase "bang for the Buck" definitely applies IMO.

Had to replace the pads once,NBD there.
Have a spare pair on hand just in case.

I mostly use mine for listening to music and playing games on my desktop computer.

I'm sure there are better 'phones out there,but I'd have a hard time justifying spending more $ for what likely would likely be a subjective gain to me,as I agree these are pretty accurate headphones.

If I did anything I'd likely just buy another set of 7506's in case this pair ever dies.

JM2¢

Bret P.

As mentioned. Just get rid of them if they're not your cup of tea. And go with some Grados. I certainly do not care for those but a lot do?

cnh2

How to the highs compare on the M50's and 7506? Are they similar?

Picked up a pair of 7506 awhile back. I would say flat, really flat, wouldn't say bass was boomy but rather very well translated.

They were a bit bright, I hate to admit it, but they softened up after about 20 hours or so of playing. They are very good at picking up any flaws anywhere in the chain.

7506 may sound bright before breaking in, but never would say the bass was overstated. Maybe try and let them break-in for 20-40 hours if you haven't done so already?

Last edited:
I have heard reports of counterfeit 7506’s . I know mine are the real deal as I got them direct from the distributor in the late 90’s. I recently put a 1/4” thick woolen felt behind the driver and it made a nice improvement in all areas, highs , mids and tighter low end. Also installed the beyerdynamic dt250 ear pads , which I like better than the stock pleather.

And definitely not boomy , never were.

I have ATH-M50x for Pop and newer music, but I love to rock out with my Grado SR80e. I was comparing the ATH-M50x and the Sony 7506 when I bought the ATs, I thought at the time that the ATs were better for the money.

Picked up a pair of 7506 awhile back. I would say flat, really flat, wouldn't say bass was boomy but rather very well translated.

They were a bit bright, I hate to admit it, but they softened up after about 20 hours or so of playing. They are very good at picking up any flaws anywhere in the chain.

7506 may sound bright before breaking in, but never would say the bass was overstated. Maybe try and let them break-in for 20-40 hours if you haven't done so already?

The MDR-7506 / MDR-V6 are very bright, mostly in the upper vocal range, and I have to assume that is why they are so popular in broadcasting (easy to hear people talking). I agree that their bass is pretty flat, certainly not boomy or bloated, and actually quite punchy. In the higher frequencies though, these have to be one of the least flat headphones I can possibly think of. I used them for years as my main headphone, and the brightness never went away. Thankfully as long as I was able to use EQ to flatten out the brightness, they were great.

Sony MDR-7506 / MDR-V6 Frequency Response:

mdr-7506.gif

Yes, it sounds like something else going on with the OP's situation. As far as counterfeit, it certainly is possible, the same problem was rampant with Shure SM 57's and 58's a few years back; even some of the bigger stores (i.e. Guitar Center) got dupped...

GJ

I picked up a counterfeit MDR-V6 a while back and had the chance to compare it to a legit MDR-V6 (MDR-V6 and MDR-7506 are the same headphone). Looks like the thread is still there if anyone is curious:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....y-mdr-v6-headphones-comparison-w-pics.319516/

Back
Top Bottom