What does a full Rega system sound like?

You have never heard anything by Rega and here you are spouting more bullshit.

"What does a full Rega system sound like?"

Above is the title of this thread. Some of us know because we have owned one or more of what the OP is asking about and are trying to narrow the question down. Your Rega expertise starts where?

Art,

Suggesting that someone should spend $3000 to $5000 on a new production system they have never heard from a manufacturer they have never owned is both reckless and irresponsible. As soon as the boxes are opened does the gear depreciate 30-40%??

My 20+ years experience with companies that design and manufacture high tech electronics for industrial and military use is that it is naive to assume synergies between components and assumptions like; if product line A is good it therefore follows that product line B is good. I can't recall the successful JBL or Klipsch amp. Of the high end amp companies, I can't think of the successful speaker product line.

So far, it appears that RGA is the poster who has actually listened to the most relevant gear and the competing gear and made a very thoughtful and nuanced response.

You may want to reconsider using invectives and ad homniom attacks, it tends to negate whatever follows and diminishes the stature of the author in the eyes of others.

Last edited:
Art,

Suggesting that someone should spend $3000 to $5000 on a new production system they have never heard from a manufacturer they have never owned is both reckless and irresponsible. As soon as the boxes are opened does the gear depreciate 30-40%??

My 20+ years experience with companies that design and manufacture high tech electronics for industrial and military use is that it is naive to assume synergies between components and assumptions like; if product line A is good it therefore follows that product line B is good. I can't recall the successful JBL or Klipsch amp. Of the high end amp companies, I can't think of the successful speaker product line.

So far, it appears that RGA is the poster who has actually listened to the most relevant gear and the competing gear and made a very thoughtful and nuanced response.

You may want to reconsider using invectives and ad homniom attacks, it tends to negate whatever follows and diminishes the stature of the author in the eyes of others.

I have not only listened to much of it, I have owned it. You?

I have owned...

Rega Mira 3
Rega Brio-R x 2
Rega R5
Rega P3 2000
Rega P3-24
Rega P5
Rega RP1
Rega RP6
Rega Fono Mini
Rega Fono
Rega Elys 2
Rega Exact 2
Rega Couple x 2
Rega DAC
Rega Apollo
Rega Apollo R
Rega Saturn

I might have some idea of the sonic signature or goals of Rega. What I would like from the OP is a more focused idea of what information you need. No one here that I am aware of has suggested buying without hearing. Not at least without having a liberal return policy.

I have not only listened to much of it, I have owned it. You?

Art,

see above......

Clearly you feel strongly that he should buy the system based on your recommendation. To mitigate his risk, would you be willing to buy the gear from him at whatever he paid if he doesn't like it, or pay the difference between paid and used value if it doesn't meet his expectations?

Emotiva offers a 30 day money back guarantee.

Update: Art it appears we posted simultaneously, and may have some common ground after all.

Last edited:
I have owned...

Rega Mira 3
Rega Brio-R x 2
Rega R5
Rega P3 2000
Rega P3-24
Rega P5
Rega RP1
Rega RP6
Rega Fono Mini
Rega Fono
Rega Elys 2
Rega Exact 2
Rega Couple x 2
Rega DAC
Rega Apollo
Rega Apollo R
Rega Saturn

I might have some idea of the sonic signature or goals of Rega. What I would like from the OP is a more focused idea of what information you need. No one here that I am aware of has suggested buying without hearing. Not at least without having a liberal return policy.

If the OP wanted to mitigate his risk, which proven Rega models that maintain their value would you suggest. If he likes it great, if not he can eject and possibly even make a buck if he shops wisely.

Art,

see above......

Clearly you feel strongly that he should buy the system based on your recommendation. To mitigate his risk, would you be willing to buy the gear from him at whatever he paid if he doesn't like it, or pay the difference between paid and used value if it doesn't meet his expectations?

Emotiva offers a 30 day money back guarantee.

Update: Art it appears we posted simultaneously, and may have some common ground after all.

BTW, I don't feel he should buy on my recommendation. I always prefer if someone listens for themselves. For some that is more difficult than for others. That is why a liberal return policy is a must.

The OP came here asking for some answers and I was reticent, even given I have owned what he is asking about, to give an answer that would only partially address his needs based only on my impressions. That is why I asked for clarification or a more focused discussion.

I can attest that the all Rega system synergy is very nice! 2016 Rega P3 with Exact cart, used Elex-r, used RS-5s and a used Apollo-r CD player. I have been running some old Monster cables for my speakers and interconnects until I can purchase some better cables. With this set up as it is, I'm hearing things in old familiar recordings that I've never heard before and the "musicality" is amazing! It's a joy to listen to. I had ordered some Chord Clearway speaker cables with factory installed connects that I received in the mail today and am looking forward to connecting those and giving them a listen. Will be glad to let those of you who are interested what I think of the cables. Over the years I have had many different brands of fair quality gear and all I can say is... all Rega gets a huge thumbs up from me!

Only Rega I've owned is my RP-1 turntable but it's A-OK in my book! Very simple to use, sounds good, nice selection of cartridges you can put on it (I'm using a Denon DL-160). Always wanted to try out a Brio-R as well.

I started off with my P3 and worked my way up to the rest. I had read and heard a lot of good things about the Rega systems. A gentleman who is a hifi expert suggested that I purchase some Rega RS-5 speakers and I really liked them and bought a used Brio original and was pleased with the smooth, detailed and very musical delivery. I decided I wanted a bit more power so moved up to the Elex-r and later added an Apollo-r. No this is not the best system in the world but I can say that I am enjoying listening to music more than I ever have. Rega synergy is very nice!

Back
Top Bottom