Kenwood C2 basic rebuild/refresh

patfont

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi,
I am usually in the Marantz/Pioneer forums, but have AKer Warrens C2 here. There is not much out there on this model so just wanted to put this up for informational purposes in case it can help some one out.

Warren wanted to refresh the power supply caps and maybe do something with the op amps. The phono was intermittent if he wiggled the cable it would go on and off.

In this pic you can see where the phono input to the board has cracked in a circle from normal daily insert and removal of cables:

What we did was reflow and refresh all of the input legs to the board to make sure they are sturdy. I also found 2 other cold/bad/ joints one on the pre board and one on the filter board: here are all the inputs across the back:

Warren will be using this mostly for vinyl so here is the original op amp:

Here is a view of the main board lay out, very nice clean and orderly!

I have my usual suspects cap wise for most locations on each board, but in the C2 there are some areas where certain values/size limitations come into play. One location was the 2200uf feedback caps and the other on the phono supply board the rear caps could only be maybe 16mm max height as the phono selector cable runs right over them. So some different choices had to be made.

Will cont with more pics etc later.

continuing on and the main board is mostly empty.
-the phono BP caps are replaced with Elna Silmic bipolors, and the flat amp BP caps are still to come out.

Good luck with the restoration, I have one of these that has sound at the headphone jack but the preamp out won't turn on at all.

How's the balance control? It's a known defect with this preamp, it causes the signal to go off on one side or cut in and out. I managed to repair mine by taking it apart and reattaching metal wipers (actually, doing a google search on C2 balance control is how I found Audiokarma).

I did a write-up but the pictures I took were pretty bad:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=473466

balance control is good, on this one.:D

How's the balance control? It's a known defect with this preamp, it causes the signal to go off on one side or cut in and out. I managed to repair mine by taking it apart and reattaching metal wipers (actually, doing a google search on C2 balance control is how I found Audiokarma).

I did a write-up but the pictures I took were pretty bad:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=473466

ok here are some pics:

-Upgraded the phono op amp to a 4580DD, this is a "low noise" op amp. It is installed in a socket so rolling here is now available.

Here is one of the power supplies on the main board: caps were changed to Silmic II, and Nichicon FG's. The diodes on the power supplies were changed so there would not be over voltage at the op amps. A thank you to Leestereo for his input in this area, as per his C1 rebuild.

Here is the flat amp, it already had a "DD" op amp, the BP caps were changed out to Nichicon ES.

I prefer "audio grade" caps when ever possible.

will get the rest up tomorrow!

Last edited:
here are some more pics:

The main board looks real nice!

I have added arrows to the 3 places I had to make minor changes due to size constraints.

I am going to say it was definately worth having the C2 restored and repaired . I have got about two hours of listening time on it as of now and was told it will even get better with more time , very impressed with it now , have listened to several different LP's so far and it sounds excellent . I am very happy I had this done .

Warren I am glad you are happy with the C2! I was listening to it myself when done, and I can see why it is well liked. It just has a nice smooth musical non fatiguing sound. Just makes you want to pull out all your favorite recordings to hear them again. And yes, as the caps burn in it will get better!

I have to make another comment , this system has never sounded this good , even with a untouched M2. The phono section on this pre is crystal clear , my LP's have never sounded better .

awesome, and it may get even better!

:music:

I have to make another comment , this system has never sounded this good , even with a untouched M2. The phono section on this pre is crystal clear , my LP's have never sounded better .

I've posted a thread requesting a copy of the C2 owner's manual.

Any of you guys happen to be in possession of an electronic copy?

They seem to be very hard to come by.

BTW...the guy I purchased my C2 from mentioned that he had performed the balance switch bypass.

I notice the left channel cutting in and out and am wondering if he did it correctly or if it's a different issue

Last edited:
I do not have one, as you mention the SM is easily available.

I've posted a thread requesting a copy of the C2 owner's manual.

Any of you guys happen to be in possession of an electronic copy?

They seem to be very hard to come by.

BTW...the guy I purchased my C2 from mentioned that he had performed the balance switch bypass.

I notice the left channel cutting in and out and am wondering if he did it correctly or if it's a different issue

Hello,
I have just received my first Kenwood C2 and am doing a quick inspection before I put power to it. I pulled the cover off and it is very clean inside. Not a spec of dust, I really wasn't expecting it to be this clean. Is it possible to tell if this thing has already been recapped? All of the electrolytic caps I can see are Elnas, are those typically what these shipped with?

Back
Top Bottom