McIntosh 1900 Recap and Restore

Everything is working Very Well..Boy I cannot sit still...

Would like to Replace the Output Transistor...:yes:

Orig: Motorola 32-070 7226

Nothing wrong but why not a New Pair? Give the Origs one a break..

What do you guys recommend?

Last edited:
Everything is working Very Well..Boy I cannot sit still...

Would like to Replace the Output Transistor...:yes:

Orig: Motorola 32-070 7226

Nothing wrong but why not a New Pair? Give the Origs one a break..

What do you guys recommend?
Looking around and see these will work...

ON Semiconductor MJ15003G

Last edited:
write up

Nice write up!

I'm sure others can learn from it.

I ditto the "nice write up". Although some argue that there is no sense in posting or asking what has been posted before or asked before, I respectfully do not subscribe to this philosphy.
Firstly I do not believe that AK server or cloud space is about to run out of space.
Secondly if readers find duplications annoying they can just chose to ignore.
Thirdly although it is fun to research previous threads and "a right of passage" there is much to be said for "revisiting the issue". New eyes might fall upon a "real time thread" and and shed new ideas.
If a certain thread has been rehashed and rehashed to the point that forum members believe it has acheived "classic status" then perhaps it could become a "sticky".
With that being said it is always difficult to be in the emotional mind of someone who sounds "inpolite" on a post. They simply may be trying to help by redirectlng you and the lack of intonation or facial expressions might give the wrong idea. I love this forum and do not want people to post there ideas or projects because of a sense "they are not being well recieved".

Sorry if this appears to be a hijack of the main issue (great job on mac 1900 posts and sharing your excitement)

Last edited:
MJ15003G is a TO-3 transistor, you were talking about OP-amps? I'm a little confused......Do you mean output transistor?
Woops...Output Transistors..

Happens when your working on 3 different recap projects and Mouser order in on Output Transistors...THANKS!!

Last edited:
Out with the OLD...and in with the NEW.

This Completes the Project.

Running the 1900 now...any sound differents.

Sound a bit clearer...other wise...that's it.

I will be sending this to my Local Mac Service for a Tuner alignment. I wonder what the Tec will say...:scratch2:

Thanks for all who have been following this thread....:music:

Attachments

• MAC1900za.jpg
    MAC1900za.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 263
  • MAC1900zb.jpg
    MAC1900zb.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 275
I will be sending this to my Local Mac Service for a Tuner alignment. I wonder what the Tec will say...:scratch2:

He will likely say "Too much heat sink grease by a factor of about 10."

The rubberized silicone insulators actually work better than mica and grease.

He will likely say "Too much heat sink grease by a factor of about 10."

The rubberized silicone insulators actually work better than mica and grease.
It looks like alot...it's not...And I do have rubberized insulators but since I will be listing to 1900 maybe 20hrs a month why brother.
But, I will need those for Pioneer SX-1250 that's 2nd in-line for Recap.

This has been a Nice ride working on this.

Next up...Luxman LV-109 then Pioneer SX-1250...

Last edited:
This thread should provide great guidance as I go through mine.

If it's not too big of a burden, could you post more pictures of how you replaced the big-caps with the Panasonics?

This thread should provide great guidance as I go through mine.

If it's not too big of a burden, could you post more pictures of how you replaced the big-caps with the Panasonics?
The Panasonics I used worked Great...

BUT...Since they are Taller then the Orig...The Wood Case cover with not fit (for me I do not use the cover).

Not sure is MAC service has replacements...BUT there is a seller on FleeBay that is selling Kendeil(see Pic) that will fit perfect.

While some may find the Resistor replacement over the Top...It has put this 1900 sound right in Front in my rotation.

Hope you find this thread usefull.

Attachments

• MAC1900Bottoma.jpg
    MAC1900Bottoma.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 215
  • MAC1900Bottomb.jpg
    MAC1900Bottomb.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
The Panasonics I used worked Great...

BUT...Since they are Taller then the Orig...The Wood Case cover with not fit (for me I do not use the cover).

Not sure is MAC service has replacements...BUT there is a seller on FleeBay that is selling Kendeil(see Pic) that will fit perfect.

While some may find the Resistor replacement over the Top...It has put this 1900 sound right in Front in my rotation.

Hope you find this thread usefull.

Thanks!

Is that this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170969535153?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Are you running it? How does it sound?

McIntosh still stocks the replacement part, and at $40 each, the only difference in cost between the factory part and this Kendeil is the cost of shipping for the McIntosh one.

Thanks!

Is that this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170969535153?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Are you running it? How does it sound?

McIntosh still stocks the replacement part, and at $40 each, the only difference in cost between the factory part and this Kendeil is the cost of shipping for the McIntosh one.
That is the one. I have not used these...I ordered and by chance the Panasonic popped up on Fleebay for 50 for both (new).

I would order the 1's from Mac...save some $$'s.

Going thru some Films on Marantz 2230....I said...Let's Replace the Films on the Mac 1900.

Since a lot of work(and learning) has been done....Films are next.

EVOX are used in 1900...Going with WIMA MKP4,10 5%. I have also going to replace the Mains.

Replace Mains:
Vishay / BC 10000uf/63V

Pre-Amp Board:
MKP4/.47uf/250V 5%
MKP10/.1uf/250V 5%
MKP10/.022uf/250V 5%

Power Board:
MKP10/1uf/250V 5%
MKP10/.22uf/250V 5%

OK...Films are in.

Need to order MKP10 .47uf/250v. I did order the MKP4 and Leads are a little short. I could add but I going to stay in the MKP10 series.

Need a least 100hrs so going to let this play....

Will give a update Sunday night....

Attachments

• M1900Fa.jpg
    M1900Fa.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 119
  • M1900Fb.jpg
    M1900Fb.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 117
48hr Sound Check.

With the added WIMA Films...Bass thru Treble is Clearer. While the Mac Sound is still in tack (Smooth Warm Sound throughout range)...Detail is Better.

Maybe the so called "Tube" sound that is throughout range...I rather have this Detailed sound scape.

Again...the MKP10's need 100+ hrs to Open up...But I like what I hear so far...

Well this Project never stops...The WIMA MKP10 .47uf/250v just arrived...

Installed and going to put 100+hrs for :music: check...

Attachments

• M1900c.jpg
    M1900c.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 106
  • M1900d.jpg
    M1900d.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 105
Great Thread!

I just found a near mint 1900 on CL the other day and am planning a rebuild. Right now it sounds very soft and mushy. I'm not that impressed at all. My unrestored Marantz 2230 kicks its butt.

Anyways, now that your restore is complete and hopefully you have put on the extra 100 hours; how does it sound? Especially compared to its non restored sound.

Could you also do me a favor and give an overall sound summary on the parts you replaced? In other words, What difference did you hear when you swapped out the electrolytics? What sound difference do you think the resistor swap made? Etc...

I'm trying to decide weather to do a typical rebuild or an all out one like yours.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:
Great Thread!

I just found a near mint 1900 on CL the other day and am planning a rebuild. Right now it sounds very soft and mushy. I'm not that impressed at all. My unrestored Marantz 2230 kicks its butt.

Anyways, now that your restore is complete and hopefully you have put on the extra 100 hours; how does it sound? Especially compared to its non restored sound.

Could you also do me a favor and give an overall sound summary on the parts you replaced? In other words, What difference did you hear when you swapped out the electrolytics? What sound difference do you thing the resistor swap made? Etc...

I'm trying to decide weather to do a typical rebuild or an all out one like yours.

Thanks,

Mike
OK...Were to start....I have 2 1900's....

1. I sent One 1900 to Terry for a Full Recap.
2. The 2nd One....I did a "FrankInTosh" Rebuild....I wanted to see by replacing as much components would this sound better...Plus the 1900 is Easy to work on.

1st 1900 Terry had replaced the Caps and Tuner Alignment.

Sound check is using the Original Main Caps: Very Warm and Inviting Sound.
Bass is Laid back (Mushy) as to Bass Thru Mids sound as 1. Treble is out in Front.

Sound check using New Main Caps:
This has taken the Mushy Bass out and I can Clearly hear Bass, Mids and Treble. This SHOULD be done (IMO) with a Complete Cap replacement.
The sound is a "Jazz Club" in a box!!!!!

2nd 1900..."FrankInTosh"...2 steps with this Project. 1st..Caps replaced, Transistors (Only) on Pre Amp Boards and Main Caps.

Bass, Mids and Treble can be Clearly heard. Bass has more Bottom end (ELNA Silmic II in recap) to Thank...Still "Jazz Club" in a box.

Replacement of Resistors...I can take the Volume control and turn this Fully Up...No Joke..Clear and Clean Sound...Sound is Cleaner but still has that Mac signature profile.

Film Replacement...Have over 200hr on the Films...I did not noticed any change...Sometimes when you replace Films(Depends on the Brand) it may sound TOO clean...Not so with the WIMA. So the Films are New and not OLD so replacement is clearly up to your Wallet.

I have Both in Rotation and Really Love the Sound of Both 1900's. THe "FrankInTosh" takes it a notch up with overall sound.

Back
Top Bottom