Challenge for the modern fans - The best $1000 system.

Computers and computer related products can change more than once a year as this is a known fact. Sticking with just analog only would be the wisest decision you can make for your system.

True but a good starter TT setup costs a good 2k+ imo.

Apologies for dragging this thread a little further OT, but I feel the need to address 4Play's earlier comment re computers and computer-related products changing every 6 months.

Back in the 90s I would have readily accepted that many people upgraded their computer every 18 months to 2 years simply to keep pace with technological change - I think we left that behind when Intel released the Core series of CPUs. There are still a surprising number of people out there running Windows XP or an old version of Mac OSX on hardware that's well over 5 years old. That might sound funny to people with vintage receivers, but in computing terms it's an eon - the big difference is that a 5-year differential back in the mid-90s would have meant your computer was seriously underpowered - by contrast, you could happily use a laptop or desktop built in 2009 today, with the exception of gamers and other power users. I'm also seeing more and more guys on Computer Audiophile with Linux as their preferred OS - clearly, they've been able to work around any driver-related issues with their DAC of choice.

If by 'computer-related' we are talking DACs, I doubt that too many of us would be offended if someone offered us their 'old' Benchmark Alpha after they'd upgraded to the new model. Good tech is good tech and its over 4 years since Gordon Rankin wrote the asynch USB code changed the way most of us view the humble laptop. I agree that there is an immense amount of thrash in the middle segment of the market, particularly with the headlong rush to release a DSD-capable DAC but for those of us who remain nonplussed by the combination of massive file sizes and limited catalogs, DSD capability alone isnt going to push us to upgrade our digital front end.

BAD dont release a new DAC every 2 years just to keep up with the other kiddies, but when they do release something new people sit up and take notice. The Alpha - either series - may be out of the reach of many of us, but this strikes me as the kind of product that will hold it's value long after the industry has moved onto DSD256 (!) or whatever. :thmbsp:

http://www.berkeleyaudiodesign.com/index.html

Here is a system I wouldnt mind living with:
Yamaha A-S500 Integrated Amp-$400
Focal 705V(on sale for a while now at Music Direct)-$349
U-Turn Orbit basic in Green with a Grado Black-$224
BTW,the Yamaha has a built in phono pre.
Jimmy

If it were me..

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR - $90
Musical Paradise MP301 MK3 - $330
Orbit (Basic) Turntable - $180
Hageman Labs Bugle2 DIY Phono Amp Kit - $140

That's $740. Spend another $60 on cabling (monoprice), and the rest goes to music.

I have or have had every component on this list(except I have the Orbit with the Acrylic platter).The only thing I would change since that amp is not too powerful would be more efficient speakers,like a small set of Klipsch,and you still get in under a grand.
Jimmy

PSB Image T6 Towers = $640
Onkyo C-7030 CPD = $140
Onkyo TX-8020 Receiver = $160

Grand Total = $940

Great thread, it really shows the level of product available and the knowledge of the readers. Many fantastic combinations that would be fun to put together.
chuck

Wouldn't mind having this system:

Music Hall A15.3 - $549
Onkyo C-7030 - $175
PSB Alpha B1 - $299

$1023, oh well, wait for a sale :D

The MH might look kind of ugly paired with that Onkyo, but I bet it would sound mighty sweet!

Last edited:
Recently I'd put together $1000 system for my sister in law.
Here is what I got for her, sound pretty good and within her budget.

Amp: Marantz PM5005 $299 (Open Box)
CD Player: Onkyo C-7030 $180
Speakers: Pioneer SP-BS22 $79
SUB: Yamaha YST-SW215PN 8" Subwoofer $189
AudioQuest Type 4 Speaker Cable 8ft pair $89 (No Frills) Audio Advisor.
AudioQuest Evergreen RCA $34.75
AudioQuest Evergreen 3.5mm to RCA $34.75 (For iPod connection)
Mediabridge ULTRA 8ft Subwoofer Cable $9.99
Sanus NF24 Speaker Stands $51

Total $966.49

Recently I'd put together $1000 system for my sister in law.
Here is what I got for her, sound pretty good and within her budget.

Amp: Marantz PM5005 $299 (Open Box)
CD Player: Onkyo C-7030 $180
Speakers: Pioneer SP-BS22 $79
SUB: Yamaha YST-SW215PN 8" Subwoofer $189
AudioQuest Type 4 Speaker Cable 8ft pair $89 (No Frills) Audio Advisor.
AudioQuest Evergreen RCA $34.75
AudioQuest Evergreen 3.5mm to RCA $34.75 (For iPod connection)
Mediabridge ULTRA 8ft Subwoofer Cable $9.99
Sanus NF24 Speaker Stands $51

Total $966.49

Did you find those Pioneers recently for $79. I ask because I'm going to buy a pair I'm just waiting for a good price.

Did you find those Pioneers recently for $79. I ask because I'm going to buy a pair I'm just waiting for a good price.

I bought it in September but Amazon is selling $126 right now but keep your eyes on because I'vs seen lowest $59 on Amazon.

Sub-1K System

$400.00 - Yamaha A-S500 Integrated Amp (85wpc 8ohms)
$350.00 - Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 Speakers (48-24kHz)
$100.00 - Pork Audio PSW10 10" Powered SW (35-200Hz)
$100.00 - Schiit Modi DAC
$35.00 - AudioQuest Forest USB Cable (computer to DAC)
$0.0 - Included or leftover RCA & Speaker Cables

I have the last four and perfectly happy with them. Oops. I upgraded the RCA to AudioQuest Forest, so I'm over by $30.

$400.00 - Yamaha A-S500 Integrated Amp (85wpc 8ohms)
$350.00 - Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 Speakers (48-24kHz)
$100.00 - Pork Audio PSW10 10" Powered SW (35-200Hz)
$100.00 - Schiit Modi DAC
$35.00 - AudioQuest Forest USB Cable (computer to DAC)
$0.0 - Included or leftover RCA & Speaker Cables

I have the last four and perfectly happy with them. Oops. I upgraded the RCA to AudioQuest Forest, so I'm over by $30.

I think you need a source.

Easy, full system under $1000 with perks.

$200 Behringer 2031P speakers, linear accurate non-fatiguing
$0 speaker stands: boxes speakers are packed in
$20 insulation, tweak the speakers
$100 cables and speaker wire (all basic stuff)
$100 Schiit Modi USB DAC
$200 any Netbook with USB out
$0 a linux OS and audio software
$100 2TB external HD.
$50 external CD drive
$220 Topping 60W amp, chip amp at Parts Express
------
< $1000

Perks are you get a computer and no hidden costs, legit under 1000

Last edited:
While we're budget busting, check out this one:

Equator D5 Studio Monitors with DSP - $350 (mfg-direct open box)
Hsu STF-1 pair - $538
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 - $163
Dayton EMM6 - $48
BYOPC+cables+stands
= $1099 + PC, cables, stands

Here we have an all-active, dual subwoofer, digital-based system capable of over 100dB 20-20k that allows for nearly unlimited "room correction", subwoofer EQ and time/phase alignment, etc., etc., etc. It also allows for one analog source (or more with a switchbox), so long as you don't mind it being digitized ;). I think I posted a similar option earlier in the thread, but I like this one better.

I'm impressed by this idea, but it's not under $1000 and it doesn't include a source. So :thumbsdn:

You're absolutely right.

OTOH, statistically speaking; anyone looking to spend a grand on an audio system has a computer. I plug mine into the DAC and I'm good to go.

Not everybody wants or can put their computer into their stereo. I think you need a source to play this game fairly.

BTW, I love all the ideas that include analog sources, but tough to call that modern. Also, CDP are not modern.

What about :music: head-fi? Not my cup of tea, but decidedly modern.

Another option, with the computer, which would be super-modern is to use an ambiophonic DSP. I just don't know what speakers work best in this application, yet. When I do, I hope to own them.

Last edited:
I'm impressed by this idea, but it's not under $1000 and it doesn't include a source. So :thumbsdn:
Certainly fair since it doesn't even count the PC cost, but as I clarified a few posts down from that, it is a system where the [unbudgeted] PC is a permanent part of the system functionality, not optional, so it might as well be the source too. Toss the PC out, and you can also toss out the mic and USB interface, and there's $211 for a line level source.

OR, toss out the pair of subs, and now there's enough money for a PC (source) with the original gear list and budget. Add subs later. Problem solved :).

Here is a system I wouldnt mind living with:
Yamaha A-S500 Integrated Amp-$400
Focal 705V(on sale for a while now at Music Direct)-$349
U-Turn Orbit basic in Green with a Grado Black-$224
BTW,the Yamaha has a built in phono pre.
Jimmy

I've listened to the 706V, too much top end for these ears. Are the 705V better? I suppose they're made for listening to vinyl?

Back
Top Bottom