Bent Audio Slagleformers: my passive preamp endgame

I've looked at them and even talked to Kenji about them but I really love my remote control... I'm certainly intrigued and would love to hear them someday. They'd fit right in with my Feastrex, that's for sure! :)

Oh, now, just when I think I am getting somewhere with my projects. Why did I click on this?

Lovely work as usual Nate!

Just beautiful Nate!:thmbsp:

Way out of my price range, I'm sure. On remote control, very hard to give up once you get used to it. I don't need to be able to control anything else remotely but being able to adjust on the fly for different recording levels is essential.

Thank you for all the encouragement, guys n' gals. :)

I'll be boxing this up in the next week or so - I'll post some fresh pics when I get it buttoned up.

Finally got around to putting this in the enclosure I wanted to use - it's a repurposed aluminum number from an old printer switch box.

Eventually I'll paint it or powdercoat it, maybe, but for now I've just polished up the aluminum a bit to match the 46 amps...

(WOW, that's a terrible pic!)

9779AC08-BAD0-41AF-88B5-6C049D22F1A5_zpsg4xyckgq.jpg~original

Last edited:
I was seriously considering a full blown Bent unit many years ago. I tried the Lightspeed but despite some high-promise, it was the impedance mis-match which ruled it out of my(then) system.

Since then, the Hornshoppe "The Truth" has transformed/removed the bottleneck from my system and made it much much easier to get a decisive handle on just what was needed to fine tune my turntable isolation.

I have never heard a TVC, so please read this post in that light, but The Truth is both active and no gain. It is also amazing. :yes:

The manual, barebones, supply-your-own-everything-else is $350 from Intact Audio. The full boat, single ended, copper version is about $1600 from Bent Audio.

The silver ones are godawful pricey depending on the market that day. Redboy's build quality is priceless.

So the silver price is unmentionable or somewhere around ????????????

At the time of purchase, silver was about $1K upcharge. It looks as though they'll soon be unobtanium though, as John is discontinuing DIY sales in order to meet his commitments to the OEM market. :(

Thanks for the info Redboy. Too bad he cannot increase his production to handle both. I wonder how a Slagleformer with silver plated copper windings would compare to the all silver version? Maybe keep some of the magic of the all silver at a much lower cost?

One more question, was the all copper Slagleformer the second best pre you've had in your system? I may end up going thru Bent Audio for their pre kit it seems.

The copper version is indeed the second best I've heard and/or owned, and not a distant second, either! It's a wonderful thing, that little Slagleformer module!

I may have gotten the last pair of full silver DIY modules...put them into my active preamp (26 tube) just after Christmas. They function as both volume controls and output transformers, in parafeed. They sound clearly different from the coppers - more direct and immediate, more detailed, a little less warm. Need to give them some more run-in...

By the way, the silvers seem louder by 2 or 3dB than the coppers...is that possible? I definitely prefer a volume setting a few clicks lower than usual with the silvers, they just seem to pass more energy than the coppers.

Makes sense to me. Silver has less resistance than the copper.

Only about 6% less resistance for silver...not a huge difference but perhaps enough to be noticed. I think that silver's much higher magnetic permeability might be more influential (2.6x that of copper, although technically both are considered diamagnetic).

I've managed to tame the slight brightness by decreasing the low tweeter level on my speakers (Infinity RSIIb) by about 8-10%. Increased detail retained nicely, brightness removed. It's nice to have speaker adjustments handy...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom