1961 model G.E. Devonshire STEREO HI-FI RC-1212

1ontop=

Just picked this up last week. It is very nice condition... I have done nothing besides give it a couple of coats of lemon oil and damp wipe the controls under the lid so far. Sounds ok.. but bought it primarily for the furniture aspect.

I am puzzled by one thing though... the owners manual clearly states STEREO High Fidelity but I see no stereo indicator light on the radio dial. Since it is compact and the speakers are close together it is hard to say whether stereo or not. Does anyone have any knowledge of this G.E. model? Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCF4782.jpg
    DSCF4782.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCF4783.jpg
    DSCF4783.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCF4785.jpg
    DSCF4785.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF4780.jpg
    DSCF4780.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCF4779.jpg
    DSCF4779.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF4778.jpg
    DSCF4778.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
It pre-dates FM stereo. That didn't come out until 1962. The tuner is mono, the turntable is stereo.

Is that one of those turntables with the vacuum hose next to the cartridge? Maybe not I don't see the vacuum mechanism anywhere but look at that big ass filter cap next to the power amp.

That one, like the one I worked on, will surely need a re-cap. Replace all electrolytics, including the two crossover caps.

attachment.php

I'm wondering....
if after rejuvenation it would be a good candidate for a multiplex adapter.

Is that one of those turntables with the vacuum hose next to the cartridge? Maybe not I don't see the vacuum mechanism anywhere but look at that big ass filter cap next to the power amp.

I think the vac-u-suck setup was on the fancier models. Similar turntable, but it said Dustamatic or something like that by the end of it.

I am looking at one that is very similar. Could I be so bold as to ask how much you paid for it? Only because the chap wanting to sell it has no idea and I cant find much about this particular piece. But as soon as I saw it I knew I needed to give it a home, I also dont want to feel like I am fleecing him either......thanks for your help....

I have a 60 or 61 General Electric console. I have posted pics of it here a while back. Mine does have the vacuum hose in the tone arm. It looks like a huge hornets nest covering the vacuum.

I believe at that time stations broadcasting one stereo channel on FM and the other chanel on AM. I have separate dials for each and a position on the selector switch to run both at the same time.

Actually after looking at these pics again there is just one dial. I believe they did the double dial broadcast for a year and a half or so but maybe more. Others might know better. I just found this pretty cool when I got mine. So no MXP unit I suppose.

I have one from 1962, which is very similar; but it has an input for a fm multiplex unit (maybe someday...) I listen to it daily, and it makes the older records sound great!

20180308_202853.jpg

I bought it fully recapped, and paid $600. I consider it a bargain, but unrestored they can be had pretty cheaply. I was given a 1963 Zenith, and just bought a '64 GE coffee table console for $50.

PS: I advise against a console stereo addiction...

I dont know what you mean by fully recapped other than you mean its been restored........this one has had nothing done to it, so what do you think I should offer to him.........thanks for your input.

Oh and this totally looks like the same thing. I really hope I can get my hands on it as it really sang to me.......

Having all the capacitors replaced in the chassis is a restoration, of sorts, of the electrical. You'll have to do it, or have it done; and sooner is better.

If you've the same cabinet as I, then I can understand it singing. They are beauties, and the mid century modern style is more desirable than early American, one of the provincials, or even the danish; in my opinion.

If the cabinet is nice, and it looks taken care of, then I would sure pay $300 for another like mine, unrestored. I would kill for it in blonde... I would consider $200 a fair offer; though if your local mcm scene is hot, go higher!

A lot of folks don't think thesse have much value; but the really good looking units have a bright future, I think.

The recap, if you can find someone to do it is probably a couple hundred bucks. Restoring the turntable isn't difficult, but you'll have to get some parts.

In the end: "A thing of beauty is a joy forever", and it's even more awesome when it plays records!

Having all the capacitors replaced in the chassis is a restoration, of sorts, of the electrical. You'll have to do it, or have it done; and sooner is better.

If you've the same cabinet as I, then I can understand it singing. They are beauties, and the mid century modern style is more desirable than early American, one of the provincials, or even the danish; in my opinion.

If the cabinet is nice, and it looks taken care of, then I would sure pay $300 for another like mine, unrestored. I would kill for it in blonde... I would consider $200 a fair offer; though if your local mcm scene is hot, go higher!

A lot of folks don't think thesse have much value; but the really good looking units have a bright future, I think.

The recap, if you can find someone to do it is probably a couple hundred bucks. Restoring the turntable isn't difficult, but you'll have to get some parts.

In the end: "A thing of beauty is a joy forever", and it's even more awesome when it plays records!

Mine is the model RC1201 so it is a bit different from yours..

The interior is exactly the same as mine, minus the TAPE/MULTIPLEX option on the selector dial.

I would say the little cosmetic differences should not matter; it's pretty much just lacking the shelf underneath. It's a handsome unit, and you really don't find that many with such style!

Back
Top Bottom